EPIC...Experienced or New Hires???

neverthought

Hi All,

Just wondering...what do you think? Will the staff on the Epic be experienced or brand new? I'm wondering if they will move their people around to staff the Epic or hire brand new personnel. I'm thinking that they might move some , so that they have experienced personnel along with hiring new people. What do you think?

Neverthought

Hi All,

Just wondering...what do you think? Will the staff on the Epic be experienced or brand new? I'm wondering if they will move their people around to staff the Epic or hire brand new personnel. I'm thinking that they might move some , so that they have experienced personnel along with hiring new people. What do you think?

Neverthought

It will no doubt be a mix of both and will lean towards more experienced due to size of ship and put new staff on the other ships that they pull from.JMO

The Majesty will be going out of service so they will have a whole ship of experienced personnel and with a few new hire, they will move around the entire fleet they will have the best of the fleet on board.

As kewlguy said. "They will be sending their best management team to bring out the Epic."

I think more accurately they will be offered the chance to go the Epic. I know of a few people who have already turned don the offer.

PE

Yeah most people I talked to said they don't want to go. December should be a interesting month for fleet assignments.

I'm pretty confident in them offering me a spot BUT...

50% pay cut, vacation pay totally cut, other benefits cut..its not all positive...

it would be a hard call.

Why would there be any cuts if they are picking the "cream of the crop" to staff a new ship?

PE

Hi All,

Neverthought

We cruised the Jewel when she made her first crossing across the Atlantic. Most of the crew were experienced from other ships. A lot of them came from the Sun if I remember right.

Nita

We cruised the Jewel when she made her first crossing across the Atlantic. Most of the crew were experienced from other ships. A lot of them came from the Sun if I remember right.

Nita

We were also on that cruise! I remember being told that the crew was selected from the "cream of the crop" on other NCL ships.

Does NCL and NCLA have different benefits?

NCLA is American flagged, so the crew's pay and benefits have to conform to US law. NCL ships are registered in the Bahamas and essentially subject to no laws for minimum wage, benefits, etc. In addition NCLA crew members are unionized.

Chance to see international destinations. Of course with EPIC, you're kind of limited to the Carribbean.

Instead of a 50% pay cut, I think I'd stay with NCLA and see international destinations on my own dime and get vacation pay while I did it. :D

Hmmm.... let's see.... work on the POA and see the same 4 Hawaiian Islands every week.

Earn about $25k / year (assume $9/hr = $540/week = $25k (ish) per year

OR

9 months on the Jade, or the Gem cruising the Meditteranean, visiting 10 or 12 different countries, experiencing Africa, Asia, Europe.

To do 9 months visiting the same countries for the $13k/yr which is 1/2 (although I think int'l still make more than this) would be impossible. Hotel alone would cost more than that.

So for someone who is financially secure, or who is taking a gap year and still parentally assisted, the int'l ships might make a lot of sense.

Hmmm.... let's see.... work on the POA and see the same 4 Hawaiian Islands every week.

Earn about $25k / year (assume $9/hr = $540/week = $25k (ish) per year

OR

9 months on the Jade, or the Gem cruising the Meditteranean, visiting 10 or 12 different countries, experiencing Africa, Asia, Europe.

To do 9 months visiting the same countries for the $13k/yr which is 1/2 (although I think int'l still make more than this) would be impossible. Hotel alone would cost more than that.

So for someone who is financially secure, or who is taking a gap year and still parentally assisted, the int'l ships might make a lot of sense.

I believe James in in his early 20's, so without knowing any details about his personal finances, I would assume he is in the position of trying to make enough money to eventually become financially secure. Earning twice the pay, plus benefits not available to NCL employees, may be very, very important to him.

I believe James in in his early 20's, so without knowing any details about his personal finances, I would assume he is in the position of trying to make enough money to eventually become financially secure. Earning twice the pay, plus benefits not available to NCL employees, may be very, very important to him.

Agreed. Or it may not. Or it may be a "hard call", like he said. :rolleyes:

Archived