Haloween aboard an HAL ship

sammycriket

Does anybody (who was on ship a ship on Oct 31st) can tell me what is happening on the ship that day (like activity, dressing code during the day for the staff and at nigth for guess and staff..

we will aboard a ship on that day and would like to prepair if we need to (costumes)

Thanks

Have sailed on Halloween.

The crew are dressed in their regular uniforms all day.

A couple of the lounges may have a few Halloween decorations. The dining room did have decorations at the entrance.

On one cruise Halloween fell on a formal night -- most people dressed formally for dinner but a few did come in their costumes.

Not much happens during the day.

Around 10:30 there is a dance - most were held in the Crow's Nest. Many people came dressed in costumes -- you don't have to. There were prizes given out for best costume, etc.

Last year on Eurodam, on Halloween night, there was a huge party out by the Lido Pool. Loud music, dozens of great costumes, a shark, snakes, lots of Bella Lagosi (sp), animals, strippers, speedos and capes, you name it. Whole thing was a hoot!....a LOUD hoot!

We're on Maasdam at Halloween this year. Probably be calmer.......snoor......

Without wishing to put a downer on your anticipation, please be aware that not everyone on board will be from the US. Halloween is not "celebrated" all over the world in view of the link with the occult and some religious people may be offended by having an overtly celebrated event of this nature. If your cruise is in or around the US, there should be no problem but, if in some parts of Europe or elsewhere, do not expect everyone to be enthused.

I will also be on the Maasdam for Halloween. Sorry I should of mentionned where was the sailing.

Thanks and it will be my first time aboard a ship on Halloween day.

5 years ago my trip had finished on Halloween day and 3 years ago I boarded the ship a few days after Halloween)

We will be on the Maasdam on Halloween and I think we will be looking for costumes to wear. We have never been on a cruise at that time and I think it could be alot of fun. So, I will let everyone know when its over.

We will be on the Eurodam for halloween this year. I'm really hoping they will do something with the kids, I'm bringing my little one a costume. My teenager has a t-shirt that says "Ghosts were people too" that she already has picked out for that day! :D

Without wishing to put a downer on your anticipation, please be aware that not everyone on board will be from the US. Halloween is not "celebrated" all over the world in view of the link with the occult and some religious people may be offended by having an overtly celebrated event of this nature. If your cruise is in or around the US, there should be no problem but, if in some parts of Europe or elsewhere, do not expect everyone to be enthused.

Good point, and thanks for mentioning it. I was starting to be concerned that something might be made of Halloween on my cruise. The Rotterdam will have a turnover day in Rome, and I'll be continuing on a long, port-intensive cruise. I don't want any excess distractions.

Now I can relax about it a little. Whew!

We will also be on the Westerdam this year on Halloween and plan on bringing costumes....last year on the Sapphire Princess, Halloween was on the last night at sea and there was a big dance and party...we had a blast and hope that this year will be as much fun...this will be our 3rd Halloween cruise, we love em'.

Ok lets be fair here, yes there are those who do not do Halloween but there are who do enjoy this holiday and for those maybe who want to do something on this night have their own little room etc and that way only those who want to be there will be and those who do not want anything to do with halloween can not have to worry about this at all.

And since we leave at night by the time we get well on our way , I think this night will be will over with.

We were on the Amsterdam, Grand Asia/Australia cruise for Halloween last year. Please note a Grand Cruise is a little different from a standard cruise.

The Amsterdam dining room was extensively decorated for the holiday. All of our waiters, waiter captains, and ship's cruise and entertainment staff were in costume. One of our waiters was a pirate, the other wore a shocking pink zoot suit ala Dick Tracy -- we asked and found out that they were each assigned a costume for the evening. The cruise director and cruise staff went around "doing tricks" during dinner. They passed out candy and flow sticks. There was a well attended Halloween bash in the Crow's nest later in the evening and prizes were awarded for the best costumes.

Our favorite was the passenger who was cloaked in a mask and hooded sweatshirt who went from table to table at dinner carrying a straw and begging for wine.

We were on the Amsterdam, Grand Asia/Australia cruise for Halloween last year. Please note a Grand Cruise is a little different from a standard cruise.

The Amsterdam dining room was extensively decorated for the holiday. All of our waiters, waiter captains, and ship's cruise and entertainment staff were in costume. One of our waiters was a pirate, the other wore a shocking pink zoot suit ala Dick Tracy -- we asked and found out that they were each assigned a costume for the evening. The cruise director and cruise staff went around "doing tricks" during dinner. They passed out candy and flow sticks. There was a well attended Halloween bash in the Crow's nest later in the evening and prizes were awarded for the best costumes.

Our favorite was the passenger who was cloaked in a mask and hooded sweatshirt who went from table to table at dinner carrying a straw and begging for wine.

That does wonderful -- sad but HAL doesn't go all out like that on the regular cruises.

We were aboard the Noordam in the Southern Caribbean last year on Halloween. Nothing special during the day. At dinner, a few people wore costumes. At 10:30 there was a party in the Crow's Nest. About thirty groups appeared in costume. I say groups because some were a couple, or more in coordinating costumes. We,(two sets of sisters who are first cousins) won third prize. we went as the "four seasons"- I was Spring (in a green nightgown covered with garlands of fake flowers) My sister was Summer in her swimsuit carrying snorkeling mask and a sand pail, One of our cousins was Fall in a black garbage bag covered with autumn leaves, and the other one was Winter in an oversized white sweatshirt stuffed with pillow, she had a scarf, hat and pipe- snowman! She put mascara around her eyes and taped on a paper carrot nose.

Second prize went to a man in a pink fairy outfit who ran around sprinkling glitter- the tooth fairy. Seems he really was a dentist. Grand Prize went to a couple who cross-dressed, she was a rather small woman, dressedin a men's suit, her hair pulled into a hat. He, a six footer plus, wore a red wig, lots of make up, a tight fitting skirt and very bust-enhanced blouse, and size 15 high heeled boots. Have no idea where he found them. It was hillarious. We exchanged ideas for months in advance on our CC roll call list. I don't know what 1st and 2nd prizes won, but we got picture frames, some other small stuff, and a bottle of champagne.

kayelache, Your party sounds like fun, like ours on the Eurodam except ours was out by the Lido pool. I'm sure every resident of any island within 50 miles heard the noise.

We will be on the Maasdam at the same time, cruising the So. Caribbean. Have been on board during Easter and Thanksgiving, but never Halloween. Really never even thought about costumes until I saw this post. Thanks for bringing it up.

Archived