Why is alcohol prohibited ?

Are all of you really that blind or uninformed? (I realize that that sounds harsher than I mean, but I'm not sure how to reword it to sound "nicer")

The demographics are completely different on Royal Caribbean and on Celebrity.

Those who sail on RC include people who are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to overindulge (see? I can sound "nice") than the passengers on Celebrity.

So, there ARE liability issues on RC that just don't seem likely to happen on Celebrity.

But it's a HUGE profit center for them, also.

This princess was making the same exact point you just did. Were you meaning to ask if was blind and uninformed? Because the post I made that you quoted says pretty much the same thing as yours....Am I missing something here?

:rolleyes:

I think "MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH" is a bit of an exageration:rolleyes:

But since it's happened more than once, apparently Celebrity is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to impale and kill innocent whales:D:D:D

http://www.infrastructurist.com/2009/07/27/cruise-liner-unwittingly-drags-giant-whale-carcass-into-port/

Ah that was the Sapphire PRINCESS a Princess ship, NOT Celebrity. The Celebrity one was many years ago, so how is this related at all?

But since it's happened more than once, apparently Celebrity is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely to impale and kill innocent whales:D:D:D

Until the necropsy(animal autopsy) is done you can't say the ship killed the whale. More than likely the whale was sick or already dead when it was hit by the ship

They will sell you enough alcohol by the drink to enable you to fall overboard...it's a MONEY issue, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with controlling how much you drink. They don't CARE how much you drink...as long as you buy it from them.

Same with irons....they allow all manner of electrical/ heating appliances, but they want you to HAVE to use the ship's laundry/pressing service. True, there's no room for an ironing board in most cabins, but it's a MONEY issue---not a safety one.

They will sell you enough alcohol by the drink to enable you to fall overboard...it's a MONEY issue, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with controlling how much you drink. They don't CARE how much you drink...as long as you buy it from them.

Same with irons....they allow all manner of electrical/ heating appliances, but they want you to HAVE to use the ship's laundry/pressing service. True, there's no room for an ironing board in most cabins, but it's a MONEY issue---not a safety one.

It must be nice to have a simple, if cynical, explanation for everything. :rolleyes: Of course they care how much you drink, especially if you buy it from them.

That is why state's have dram laws and why the courts are filled with cases arguing liability in alcohol-related accidents and deaths. You don't have to go back very far to find the TV exposes of out of control drunks on cruises which resulted in the imposition of strict regulations regarding smuggling alcohol onboard. And to minimize or ignore the dangers of fire onboard which can result from irons is shortsighted to say the least. Both of these issues have been discussed and debated ad nauseam on these boards and end up the same way.

Their ship, their rules. They have every right to make a profit on any thing involving the ship. Don't like it? Too bad. It is just the way it is.

The policy also prevents minors from bringing their own alcohol on the ship. I'm sure their liability premiums are much lower with this policy in effect.

Regardless, I have no doubt that money is an important variable in this equation. However, I'm not the least bit upset with the cruise line choosing to enforce policies that increase the company's cash flow.

Nah, if that was the reason then the other lines like Celebrity, etc would have the same policy. You can blame the idiots who got plastered and did stupid things to fall off.

I think it MUST be both. I mean, if it was only #1 then the rest of their companies, like Celebrity would have the same policy, right. Do you really think if they were making money hand over fist by stopping us from bringing our own alcohol on board RCCL that they wouldn't extend the policy to their other lines? They are in it for the money, not the smiles, you know? If it works that well on one line I imagine they would use it all over.

Perhaps it was a way of placating the whiners that don't take responsibility for themselves while drinking (and their families), by giving the illusion of a 'safer' RCCL when faced with a few PR nightmares for a while there regarding drinking on board. I think the added revenue was a bonus for them that they aren't going to let go of, even after the PR circus wound down. Or am I nuts?:D

Celebrity & Azamara, the sister lines, only allow two bottles of wine per cabin to be brought on board at embarkation. So their policy is essentially the same for passengers bringing on their own liquor. And to purchase a setup for in cabin consumption is expensive - $60 for basic brands and $80 for premium (one liter plus mixer).

I think that all 3 lines probably have the same insurer, and the draconian policies are in place to suit them. Because of the differing demographics between RCI on one side and X/AZ on the other, the "mature" lines can allow a bit more leeway.

It must be nice to have a simple, if cynical, explanation for everything. :rolleyes: Of course they care how much you drink, especially if you buy it from them.

That is why state's have dram laws and why the courts are filled with cases arguing liability in alcohol-related accidents and deaths. You don't have to go back very far to find the TV exposes of out of control drunks on cruises which resulted in the imposition of strict regulations regarding smuggling alcohol onboard. And to minimize or ignore the dangers of fire onboard which can result from irons is shortsighted to say the least. Both of these issues have been discussed and debated ad nauseam on these boards and end up the same way.

How many times have you seen really drunk people cut off on an RCI ship? I've seen it twice in 50 cruises and the people who were cut off couldn't even speak coherently enough to order what they were drinking at that point. I have also seen security dragging semi-conscious young idiots who can't even put one foot in front of the other (that never happened to ME when I was that age:rolleyes:) out of bars, well past the point where they should have been cut off and sent to bed while they could still remember their own names. So, although I rarely agree with cb, I do this time.:)

I think "MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH" is a bit of an exageration:rolleyes:

http://www.infrastructurist.com/2009/07/27/cruise-liner-unwittingly-drags-giant-whale-carcass-into-port/

We all agree that whales are highly intelligent creatures, but we don't know that those whales were innocent! I happen to have it on good authority that they were seen in Somalia training with Al Qaeda.

jc

Archived