Cemetery Beach - Deserted Beach with Snorkeling

LadyDivot

My DH and I were on the Grandeur of the Seas the week after Th'giving and stopped in Grand Cayman. DH wanted to go to the Butterfly Farm but it was still closed with hurricane damage. As others have stated, there is a lot of hurricane damage but the folks are happy and rebuilding. This is a resilient island and people. We had to find another thing to do, and discovered Cemetery Beach on the north end of 7 Mile Beach. It's about a $5 cab ride from the dock, and was totally awesome! You get dropped off pretty much in the middle of a neighborhood and you walk down a sand path beside a cemetery. The beach is on the backside of the cemetery and pretty much deserted. It has a small marine park right off the beach. Tons of fish, and while we were there, we saw a school of squid! So peaceful and the water was so warm. Just walk into the water, and about 10 feet in is some reefs, that are really more like debris and brush that the hurricane and currents have formed into reefs. Kinda hard to explain, but it'll make sense as soon as you get there. Also while we were there, we didn't see anyone else. We had this beautiful, warm beach with a snorkeling park all to ourselves. Peaceful and quiet. There are no services there, so if you're looking for bars and bathrooms, this isn't a place for you. On the way back, we walked down the beach until we passed a small hotel. We crossed by their pool, walked around the front and found a taxi stand. Another $5, 10 minute cab ride and we were back at the dock ready for the tender. Once we got back to the ship, a couple overheard our snorkel story and said they wished they had been with us, since their ship-excursion snorkel didn't have a lot of fish. So, when you get to the dock, ask a taxi to take you to Cemetery Beach. You'll love the solitude and snorkeling. Can't wait to go back!

Just want to double check...you don't have to be a good swimmer to get to the good snorkel area? In other posts I have read that the reef is about 100 yds out, which I certainly couldn't swim to! Are you saying that there is good snorkeling just off the beach at a marine park and at "reefs"?

• 2 weeks later...

100 yards isn't far at all when snorkeling in salt water. Not sure of any rentals in the area.

Here is info on shore snorkeling...

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

You can click on most pictures and maps for bigger versions. Pictures are pre-Ivan.

I think you pretty much want to bring everything you think you need to Cemetary.

All beaches are "public" (free) to the high water mark, but not facilities / amenities / improvements that others have provided.

Seagrape is often referred to as "public beach". I think it is just south of the Courtyard Marriott (used to be Holiday Inn). I would think at least a mile from Cemetery. While seven mile beach isn't really seven miles long, it's long.

Here's a map with Cemetery Reef shown (north end of seven mile beach) and somewhere between 32 and 34 - near one of the cameras, is seagrape.

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/wcmap.shtml

• 5 months later...

Fellow, Cruisers! I temporary lost my Cruise Critic connection, or I would have replied sooner. In case anyone is still wondering, it was $5pp. Either way, a bargain. Many thanks to Zydeco for responding with some excellent information. As for swimming to the "reefs," it was about 20 feet off the edge of water. Again, the "reefs" are clumps of sea weed/debris/sticks that have formed into long ridges that fish have found to be hospitable. Hope this helps, and Zydeco is right - take everything you need to Cemetary Beach.

Pam

We snorkeled at Cemetery Beach in early March. It is an absolutely gorgeous beach but there were no services there at all. You must bring your own snorkel equipment with you. The reef we swam to was about 100 yards off shore, but the current was very mild. It was definitely worth the swim! We saw a stingray and starfish. We also saw and fed many other fish! Be aware - when you feed the fish they come around you by the 100's, it seems. So if that will cause you a problem don't feed them or do it closer to shore.

There is a grocery store not far away that our cab driver took us to for some snacks and we had lunch on the beach.

My DH and 2 teenagers and I all enjoyed it very much!

• 1 month later...

The cab we took we booked on-line before the cruise with Joseph at www.stingraycabandtours.com. The prices, description of the tour, and form to book are all available on the website. The fare included taking us to the beach and returning us to the ship, per person. You could get alternative transportation back to the ship yourself if you prefer to do that, but it may be difficult to get a cab at Cemetery Beach if that is where you are planning to go.

Taking our own snorkel gear...and planning a day full of fun at GC at various points....with beach access. Sounds like Cemetery Beach is a must...how far is it from Seagrape Beach? We'd like to hit both those spots and then maybe Eden Rock as well....is there enough time for a couple of hours at each spot, plus taxi time between spots?

• 4 years later...

Archived