"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Radio

One last question Radio.... (OK, maybe not the very last one:D).

How do you do all these live threads and have only 2900 posts listed in your banner?

Ha ha. . .Good question. I had many more, but the posts were "Lost in time forever" during the big Cruise Critic breakdown (where many of the user posts were zapped in error"

I will be at 3000 soon ! !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same here for my post count--I've been a member for years and it looks as though I have less than a 100 posts----

But I know better and so do my cruise friends

Cheers

and thanks again Radio-- because now I know why---

April

Radio, thanks for taking us along on your cruise through your pictures.

Did you see a lot of people using the hot tubs that hang over the side of the ship? Have seen a lot of pictures and they're always empty. Wondering if they aren't popular?

Thanks,

Dee

There were many people that seemed to always use those tubs, but I waited for them to leave (Or went very early when no one was there)

Radio

Starboard Solarium Cantilevered Spa

G36.JPG

Edited by Radio

Radio:

You mentioned that people preferred to park at the terminal rather than do the park and cruise at the Cocoa Beach Hotels. Can you elaborate on why this is? There are some incredible rates on cruise and park and not having to pay the $105 for the week is intriguing.

Was it because they just didn't want to wait for shuttles or what? Can you tell more? We stayed at the Residence Inn when we sailed on Disney Magic and will probably again since it is only 20K points, but park and cruise is interesting as well.

Edited by flagger

Mrs Radio and I will be sailing from our home port in Baltimore, aboard the Carnival Pride !

Stay tuned. . .

Radio

Radio, a fellow Marylander!! I'm about 25 mins from the Inner Harbor in Baltimore!

Let me just say that I have thoroughly enjoyed your pictures this week, they have gotten me through a really rough patch at work. I would make sure I would follow your posts EVERY DAY during lunch. GORGEOUS photos. YOU.....ARE.....THE....BEST. Thank you for sharing your trip and memories with us all.:D

Hello everyone. . . Today was a great day. I ot off of the ship at about 1100AM today, and we walked through the Terminal right ouy to the taxi center.

We went down to Chankanaab Park as planned. The cab ride was only $5 PP each way (A real value !) It was a quick ride as well (only 4mi). When we arrived we each paid for the Combo Admission. It was only $19, that included entrance to th epark, a Chankanaab T-shirt, and a can of beer or soda.

I love the way that Chankanaab Park was rebuilt. There is a huge Dolphin Discovery area there that people can watch and view the people who are doing the Dolphin Adventure. You can really get a feel for what the Adventure is all about. We walked down a little further past the fresh water pool, and the children’s salt water lagoon.

When we arrived at the snorkel/swim/dive area we need to get wet, so we jumped in and cooled off. The water there sparkles so much. It is a great snorkel location. There were thousands of tropical fish is the water, and a couple of statues that were place there to attract fish. There are lifeguards there, changing rooms, restrooms, and showers. There are also a few restaurants, and several beach bars.

We decided to come back to the port area to grab a bite to eat nearby. We went over to El Cid Resort (La Cieba) and had a great local cooked meal. The resort seems to be very nice. I purchased a day pass there several years ago for only $42, but the price has now increase to $75/PP (ouch !) Our lunch was reasonable. . .only $28 total for both.

I went back to the ship, and dozed off for a few minutes (Oooops) That’ is why this report is so late. The weather was in our favor today. It was hot with no rain. . .we could see a big storm forming from the west, but we were dry all day !

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

OK... I knew I shouldn't have said "one last question..."

Is Chankanaab Park something to just get in a Cab and go or should Igt a resevaton for this?

Hi Radio. I love to travel with you, thanks for taking us along on your trips. You have mentioned that you use the Auto Train on this trip, as well as others. The next time you use it, could you include information and pictures about that part of your trip to Florida and back home.

Could I talk you into going on the October 15, Explorer of the Sea, Canada/New England Cruise? Would love to have you in our Meet & Mingle group.

OK... I knew I shouldn't have said "one last question..."

Is Chankanaab Park something to just get in a Cab and go or should Igt a resevaton for this?

The cab to Chankanaab is very reasonable ($10pp/ RT). It is only 4 miles south of the Terminal.

Radio

Chankanaab -- I think the admission fee is $16 (adult) but you can get a $2 with a coupon on their website.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

Yes, we did the Combo that includes a T-Shirt, and Beverage (Beer or Soda) for only $19.00

Radio

The Welcome Center at Chankanaab Park

CZ4.JPG

This was part of the Nature Trail at Chankanaab

CZ12.JPG

Edited by Radio

I was going to ask again since you might have missed it:

Radio:

You mentioned that people preferred to park at the terminal rather than do the park and cruise at the Cocoa Beach Hotels. Can you elaborate on why this is? There are some incredible rates on cruise and park and not having to pay the $105 for the week is intriguing.

Was it because they just didn't want to wait for shuttles or what? Can you tell more? We stayed at the Residence Inn when we sailed on Disney Magic and will probably again since it is only 20K points, but park and cruise is interesting as well.

Hmmm. . .Yes I have. Carnival Dream is in my plans for 2010. I have mot booked it yet though. . .

Radio

I am curious about your opinion of Carnival vs RCCL - we have never cruised Carnival so I am curious about the comparison. I know that is off topic on this thread but if you have a few minutes sometime I would love an unbiased opinion. We have heard negative things about Carnival (and other lines for that matter) but we might sometime try Carnival. My email is lisa.hudson@hp.com - no rush. THANKS again for a great thread during your cruise. We all appreciated it.

Radio:

Hi, I can't speak for Radio, but here is our experience. We have sailed out of Port Canaveral 5 times and have always stayed at the Radisson (by the way, we have always had a good experience there, despite some of the negative posts you see) but we have never used their shuttle. It is a real hassle. We get a cab from the hotel to the port - it is a 2-3 minute trip and costs about $3 per person. We usually have six in aour group and they send a van for us, but they have all kinds of vehicles. Yellow Cab: 321-636-1234. Call the evening before and tell them what time & where to be. They will also be out in front of the terminal at departure for the ride back if you wish.

The Residence Inn is very nice. We have stayed there twice. It is only a few years old, very clean and has a free hot breakfast. The front desk staff has always been very helpful.

The rooms a big with full size refrigerators, microwave, cooktop and table and chairs.

We have never left a car there since we fly down and always have a rental car. We haven't used there shuttle either since we use the rental shuttle.

We would stay there again if we cruise out of Port Canaveral again.

The Residence Inn is very nice. We have stayed there twice. It is only a few years old, very clean and has a free hot breakfast. The front desk staff has always been very helpful.

The rooms a big with full size refrigerators, microwave, cooktop and table and chairs.

We have never left a car there since we fly down and always have a rental car. We haven't used there shuttle either since we use the rental shuttle.

We would stay there again if we cruise out of Port Canaveral again.

This is good to hear as we are staying there a week from Saturday, before we board the FOS on the 23rd :)

Im almost just determined to use my points for the Residence Inn or Courtyard and just park at the Terminal. for the $105. That way when we get off we can just head out to 95 and head north for the seven hour drive back home.

This is exactly what we do. We rent a car for 8 days and park at the Terminal. I know it's expensive but my wife hates sitting at the Terminal with all the luggage, waiting for me if I have to go get a rental car after the cruise and I must admit is sure is nice just to walk off the ship, hop in the car and take off!

Residence Inn is the place to stay provided you have a car. They have no restaurant (they do have a free breakfast in the morning). Will be staying there for our fourth time this September.