"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Radio

What we did which seemed to be the cheapest was rent a car at the airport then drop it off near the port the morning of the cruise. There are several companies that you can choose from then they shuttle you to the ship for free. It was nice having the car that night before to explore around and find a nice restaurant.

Hi K&R - what is the shuttle situation/car rental situation like AFTER the cruise? Is it a mess or pretty much easy as pie?

I would suspect many are trying to grab a car for their return ride home.

Oh dear:( you'd better find an other computer to use or go to a library. You are missing gorgeous pictures.

So sorry:(

Thanks for your empathy. Verizon has straightened out our speed and

I am now able to see the beautiful pictures.:D

Radio, you provide a wonderful review. I am not even booked on Freedom

but I love seeing your pics. Thank you for sharing.

Hi K&R - what is the shuttle situation/car rental situation like AFTER the cruise? Is it a mess or pretty much easy as pie?

I would suspect many are trying to grab a car for their return ride home.

I am not them but will answer for you.

We always use the rental car agency's shuttles upon return from our cruises in Port Canaveral. All you have to do is walk from the terminal across the parking lot to the other side and they all meet up there, Avis, Budget, and so forth.

We have never had to wait very long for them to pick us up.

Tim

I am not them but will answer for you.

We always use the rental car agency's shuttles upon return from our cruises in Port Canaveral. All you have to do is walk from the terminal across the parking lot to the other side and they all meet up there, Avis, Budget, and so forth.

We have never had to wait very long for them to pick us up.

Tim

Thanks Tim! What about once you are @ the rental places/counters?

Is that where the mass of ppl are?

Just wanted to access 'on-the-road-timeliness' :D

Hi Radio, Like all the others reading this thread, I am most impressed and appreciative of your post and photos. I have a small favor to ask. Like many other posters we will be on the Freedom OTS in September. If you have time would you ask the person at the My Time Dining desk if registraion for My Time dining usually fills up before embarkation day. Thanks. Bob

I can't say thank you enough for making my day and for everything that your doing--I feel

so lucky to be cruising with friends on the Freedom next month--and thanks for letting me know that they do have penny slots

Cheers to you

April

Thanks Tim! What about once you are @ the rental places/counters?

Is that where the mass of ppl are?

Just wanted to access 'on-the-road-timeliness' :D

We use Budget for this reason. They seem to be the quickest and nicest in the area that I have dealt with. We have used Avis and just did not like their attitude.

You can go to http://www.mousesavers.com for some discount codes for several of the rental agencies.

Tim

We use Budget for this reason. They seem to be the quickest and nicest in the area that I have dealt with. We have used Avis and just did not like their attitude.

You can go to www.mousesavers.com for some discount codes for several of the rental agencies.

Tim

Thanks for the advice & yes mousesavers is where I got my codes. May have to re-access AVIS on the way back.

Thanks for the advice & yes mousesavers is where I got my codes. May have to re-access AVIS on the way back.

Sorry radio and others, I am not highjacking the thread, just helpin' someone.

We tried Avis twice and had the same horrible experience both times after getting off the ship, mean and rude staff. I tried them the 2nd time thinking it was just an isolated incident but noooooooooooooooo, boy was I wrong.

I am sure others will say they have experienced the same at Budget but we have not.

Tim

Radio - Great Review! Keep it coming as I just got off the Freedom on Sunday & I am in PCD(Post Cruise Depression). Let me know what you thought about the CD Allan - We thought he was absolutely hilarious & was everywhere he could possibly be. Best cruise director ever & we have never remembered a Cruise director like this before. Hope we left the ship in good condition for you!

Hello everyone ! I had a great day in Labadee. I went ashore shortly after my last post. The Labadee stop seems to get better and better every time I come here..

I went over to the beach that I normally do all the way on the east end of Labadee. It is usually very quiet there, and the water is very calm.

That spot is now the location of the Dragon’s Tail Bobsled. I talked to several of the workers there, and found out that the Bobsled track is finished, and they just need to complete a couple of the buildings where you get on and get off. They were very proud to say that they hope to finish by the end of this month.

It was suggested that he Bobsled ride is much longer than the one in Jamaica, and the price may be the same as the ZipLine here is Labadee (80.00). Maybe there will be a combo price for Dragon’s Point ZipLine, and Dragons Tail Bobsled ? ?

There are also many new vendor booths that are being constructed along many of the paths throughout Labadee. These will house local vendors (and some RCI vendors) for hats, drinks, local crafts, etc. . . Much of the same souvenir type merchandise that is found in other areas of Labadee.

There are many new Cabanas throughout Labadee as well. Some are even over the water. Most of the Cabanas have been built, but some still need to have the paths completed that take you to the Cabanas. There is currently no charge for passengers to use these, but when there will be a charge for these private Cabanas when finished.

I walked over to the new pier area, and there were several new building that have been completed for when the new pier opens. The Welcome center is still not completed yet though, but everyone says (who I talked to)that the Pier should be ready for Oasis in December.(The sign on the project shows Oct. 2009) I will ask some others who may no more about the project.

I walked over to the Construction Area to get a few more pics. I wasn’t able to get too far in due to the construction equipment, but I talked to one of the contractors who was confident that the hardest part of the job has already been completed. (the Pilings) The deck portions should be going up quickly (He estimated that the concrete decking should be done in 2 months)

It appears that everything that you see when you get off of the tender in Labadee, will be duplicated (To a much higher degree and quality) over at the new Pier Area at Dragon’s Point.

I want to come back here soon, and now I may switch my sailing on Oasis of the Seas (March 2010) from Eastern to Western just so I can see the finished product here ! !

The last tender is coming back to the ship now, so we should be leaving soon as scheduled for Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Here are a few pics from today. . . I can only post 6 photos per post, so I will make several posts.

I will have many more photos that have I have not posted HERE. . . But it may take a long time to U/L them. I hope to have all of them there by the end of the cruise)

Thanks for all of the nice comments, and Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

Crew loading food to take to Labadee

P1.JPG

I was on a full 2 level tender. . .

P2.JPG

Freedom of the Seas Exterior

P4.JPG

The Beautiful Freedom of the Seas

P6.JPG

New Beach Cabanas

P8.JPG

Welcome to Labadee !

P11.JPG

Edited by Radio

Here are a few more pics. . .

Radio

The NEW Café Labadee

P20.JPG

Café Labadee under construction

P30.JPG

Beautiful beach on the west end of Labadee (Next to the Dragon’s Tail Bobsled)

P28.JPG

New Vendor Huts spread throughout Labadee

P32.JPG

More elevated vendor huts

P37.JPG

Some of the New Cabanas on Hideaway Beach

P44.JPG

Edited by Radio