"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Radio

Radio,

Are you receiving these postings only when you go online or are they coming in on some type od PDA / smartphone you have. I am assuming you purchased pre-paid internet bulktime that you can use anywhere on the ship. If so, how is that working out? Basically, what is your current setup for posting these live reports.

James

Don't stay at the Radisson. We were there in June and the place is a dump.

We also stayed at The Rad in June.

Three....maybe four years ago, we stayed there. Ariived around 7 PM. The first room they gave us had some issues with ceiling tiles at some point. They had apparently replaced the tiles. When we arrived and went in our room, every flat surface was covered in ceiling tiles dust. There were even styrofoam cups with water in them from the workers on the vanity counter. We called down and asked for a manager to come up and see the room. She did, and quickly made arrangements for another room. We moved our stuff there, only to discover ants....in a steady stream marching along the bathroom wall. Placed another call......got moved to a THIRD room. Toilet problems! By now it is very late.......and I vowed I would NEVER stay there again!!!!

Flash forward to 2009. Saw that there was a REALLY good internet rate on The Rad. for our 6/20 arrival date. DH and I decided we could "suck it up" and stay there again....after all it is just 1 night. The pool area is in bad need of pressure washing. Black mold IS a problem in Florida. We have to pressure wash our own pool area, to keep it clean looking. The walls and furniture in the rooms are all banged and worn looking. All this is cosmetic, and can be overlooked. However, after dinner, we came back to the room to discover.......ANTS all over the bathroom floor. I went down to the front desk. I was told they would send someone with bug spray, but this was Florida.....and everyone has ants. We have lived in Tampa......FLORIDA for almost nine years. I'm here to tell you, everyone in Florida does NOT have ants. I didn't sleep well that night. Partly b/c I was excited obout our FOS cruise....and partly b/ c I was "itchy". (Imaginary, I suppose). This time I mean it........I will NEVER stay there again!

Edited by tchrmom

Is anyone else having problems viewing Radio's pics? My computer is running really slow the last couple of days and the pics don't always show up. As a matter of fact they have partially loaded then they disappear. Help! I really was enjoying this Live Report.:(

Your computer is most likely too full of temporary files and 'left-overs' from programs that ran, closed and failed to remove their supporting drivers, etc.

If you'll go to my website (where there is nothing for sale) and click on Programs and then on CCleaner, you'll be able to download a great, free program that I've used on over 50 computers without ever having a problem. On my webpage, you'll find not only where to download CCleaner, but a free lesson on how best to use it.

My website is http://DarryD.com .

On my website, as well, are free lessons on using CruiseCritic. They were designed to lower the learning curve for my extended family members and friends, but if you've got friends who are new to CruiseCritic, they might find those free lessons helpful.

Radio,

Your live updates are greatly appreciated. Can you please tell us if life jackets were required for muster drill?

Thanks

Hello, i remember Radio stating that YES the life jackets were required for his muster drill......at least for the time being.......

Your computer is most likely too full of temporary files and 'left-overs' from programs that ran, closed and failed to remove their supporting drivers, etc.

If you'll go to my website (where there is nothing for sale) and click on Programs and then on CCleaner, you'll be able to download a great, free program that I've used on over 50 computers without ever having a problem. On my webpage, you'll find not only where to download CCleaner, but a free lesson on how best to use it.

My website is http://DarryD.com .

On my website, as well, are free lessons on using CruiseCritic. They were designed to lower the learning curve for my extended family members and friends, but if you've got friends who are new to CruiseCritic, they might find those free lessons helpful.

Thanks Darryl! Neat little prog.

A little side bar question - see u live in Tampa. How long does it take to drive from TPA to Port Canaveral on a Sunday AM?

I plan to fly into TPA to visit family be4 heading off for embarkation.

Edited by 1999

Hi Radio

Really enjoying your pics!

I have searched the internet for a close up pic of the starboard side near the aft of Freedom. We are staying in the last balcony on deck 9 which has a slightly different shaped balcony. If you can get a close up pic of this area of the ship either starboard or port you will make me very happy! It is our first balcony and I am so excited! I am so mad that I was on Mariner last year and we were berthed right next to Freedom. I took pics but they are all of the bow end of the ship like most of the pics on the internet.

Radio - Thanks for the reports and pics. Something about that approach to Ocho Rios you just can't get over. I love it. Have a great day and let us know about Island Village. Has been a few years since we have been there so we hope it is still great.

Thanks Darryl! Neat little prog.

A little side bar question - see u live in Tampa. How long does it take to drive from TPA to Port Canaveral on a Sunday AM?

I plan to fly into TPA to visit family be4 heading off for embarkation.

Hi Darryl,

We too will be driving from Tampa to the port. And thanks for your website.

Dennis

Radio,

Love all the pics and info you are providing with this live review.

One question: What cabin number are you in? It looks like a Hump balcony from some of your pics. I am in a 6th floor hump balcony later this month on Freedom and was wondering what to expect with my first hump cabin as it appears to be really close to the cabin directly under yours!

Radio,

Love all the pics and info you are providing with this live review.

One question: What cabin number are you in? It looks like a Hump balcony from some of your pics. I am in a 6th floor hump balcony later this month on Freedom and was wondering what to expect with my first hump cabin as it appears to be really close to the cabin directly under yours!

It appears with what I remember of our view out our center hump cabin that Radio has exactly that, a center hump, not sure of number though.

You will love your 6th deck hump. We have been on that deck center hump about four different times on the Voyager class ships, it will not be that much different than the Freedom class. The closeness to the promonade for you will be great. You will find it will take you no time to get anywhere you want to go, well except for the pool deck.

Take my word on it, it will be hard to take another cabin location after being on the hump, well except for my corner aft cabin we were in on Liberty this past May and gonna be in on Freedom next May. ;)

Tim

Hey Radio! Thanks once again for taking a cruise and reviewing the ship right before I am ready to set sail on the very same ship!

I love your review and pics..keep em coming!

Did you have to pay extra for Jade?

Thanks and enjoy your vacation!

We also stayed at The Rad in June.

Three....maybe four years ago, we stayed there. Ariived around 7 PM. The first room they gave us had some issues with ceiling tiles at some point. They had apparently replaced the tiles. When we arrived and went in our room, every flat surface was covered in ceiling tiles dust. There were even styrofoam cups with water in them from the workers on the vanity counter. We called down and asked for a manager to come up and see the room. She did, and quickly made arrangements for another room. We moved our stuff there, only to discover ants....in a steady stream marching along the bathroom wall. Placed another call......got moved to a THIRD room. Toilet problems! By now it is very late.......and I vowed I would NEVER stay there again!!!!

Flash forward to 2009. Saw that there was a REALLY good internet rate on The Rad. for our 6/20 arrival date. DH and I decided we could "suck it up" and stay there again....after all it is just 1 night. The pool area is in bad need of pressure washing. Black mold IS a problem in Florida. We have to pressure wash our own pool area, to keep it clean looking. The walls and furniture in the rooms are all banged and worn looking. All this is cosmetic, and can be overlooked. However, after dinner, we came back to the room to discover.......ANTS all over the bathroom floor. I went down to the front desk. I was told they would send someone with bug spray, but this was Florida.....and everyone has ants. We have lived in Tampa......FLORIDA for almost nine years. I'm here to tell you, everyone in Florida does NOT have ants. I didn't sleep well that night. Partly b/c I was excited obout our FOS cruise....and partly b/ c I was "itchy". (Imaginary, I suppose). This time I mean it........I will NEVER stay there again!

Thanks so much for the information.

4:30 pm is the time she sails. All passengers must be onboard before then. It's at least 90 minutes beforehand according to RCI if you have completed your check in online. I'm sure Radio will let us know what time people were allowed to board.

If you haven't done On-line check in, you must have checked in and completed all paperwork 2 hours prior to sailing.

Even if you board around 11 a.m. I believe cabins are not available until 1 p.m. and all the entrances to the corridors are closed until then (they were when we sailed FOS out of Miami).

What exactly time for go in?

RADIO....

Wow what a beautiful photos... thank for showing it and also love sunset photo too...

hope someone is okay...:eek:

Long way for our FOS in April 2011 for Eastern but enjoyed read your forum....

keep it up...:D

Scottishwee35

I was reading about Raddison... We booked for two nights last year for our Disney Cruise and find it that it was fine and lovely swimming pool, cocktails etc....

Breakfast was okay... and free shuttle was great also my husband and kid went to space shuttle for free too...and they were helpful with us to fishlip to meet disboards people...

We enjoyed it and find it was great...

Scottishwee35