Tipping in Concierge Class Upfront

Kschn3671

Hi. I will be in concierge class for my Alaskian cruise aboard the infinity.

I am thinking about giving a $10 tip at the beginning of the cruise to my room steward. I am thinking about leaving on my pillow and writing a note something like "Looking forward to cruising with you, etc" and letting the room steward know that it is for them.

Has anybody tried anything like this and has anybody got any "extra" service because of this? I would like to hear some opinions to see if this is worth it or should I should have the charges go on my seapass like everybody else at the end?

I'm sure your room steward will be looking forward to exchanging the pillow chocolate for your $10 nightly offering.

Tip as much as you want whenever you want. It may or may not work to your benefit.:cool:

I am thinking about giving a $10 tip at the beginning of the cruise to my room steward. I am thinking about leaving on my pillow and writing a note something like "Looking forward to cruising with you, etc" and letting the room steward know that it is for them.

Has anybody tried anything like this and has anybody got any "extra" service because of this? I would like to hear some opinions to see if this is worth it or should I should have the charges go on my seapass like everybody else at the end?

Maybe I’m not following this but it reads to me like you are thinking about removing the daily tip charges and in place put $ 10.00 and a note for your stateroom attendant on the first day? So they will know you have removed their pay and offered less than 1 days pay upfront with a nice note – If that is correct why would you expect they would do more for you, I would think he or she wouldn’t be too happy:rolleyes:.

Am I getting this wrong?:confused:

I give him a $20 at the introduction! Always exceeds our expectations!

Maybe I’m not following this but it reads to me like you are thinking about removing the daily tip charges and in place put $ 10.00 and a note for your stateroom attendant on the first day? So they will know you have removed their pay and offered less than 1 days pay upfront with a nice note – If that is correct why would you expect they would do more for you, I would think he or she wouldn’t be too happy:rolleyes:.

Am I getting this wrong?:confused:

The OP didn't mention anything about removing the normal daily tips - he's simply suggesting that he leave an extra $10 in cash on the first day.

My opinion on this is that it will neither help nor hurt - and if I were to do it, it would be a $20....

We received bottle of champagne every night!We also received standard canapes along with cheese and crackers and shrimp cocktail every afternoon!We always had a HUGE bucket of ice in the room!We had breakfast on the verandah hot and on time every morning!In addition to the standard menu,we wrote in request for chocolate milk,corned beef hash,and eggs benedict along with other unique special request and they were always met1 Well worth the extra $20!!:D

The OP didn't mention anything about removing the normal daily tips - he's simply suggesting that he leave an extra $10 in cash on the first day.

My opinion on this is that it will neither help nor hurt - and if I were to do it, it would be a $20....

Since the gratuity is automatically charged on a daily basis to your onboard account then the only way that isn’t going to happen is by this being removed upfront? Look at the portion of what the OP said that I underlined.

or should I should have the charges go on my seapass like everybody else at the end?

Like I said maybe it wasn’t the OP’s intend but it reads that way.

I love the new system of putting the tips on your daily seapass account. Don't have to take a lot of cash to stuff in envelopes at the end of the cruise.

The only time we tip up front is for room service. A couple of bucks for coffee and pastries in the morning.

Every room steward we've had always worked hard so we give extra in an envelop at the end of the cruise.

Just to clarify, I wasnt planning on removing their tip from the automatically charges. I was just trying to inquire if I tipped up front extra it would perhaps bring better service. Not that the service isnt great to begin with:)

Since the gratuity is automatically charged on a daily basis to your onboard account then the only way that isn’t going to happen is by this being removed upfront? Look at the portion of what the OP said that I underlined.

Like I said maybe it wasn’t the OP’s intend but it reads that way.

Just to clarify, I wasnt planning on removing their tip from the automatically charges. I was just trying to inquire if I tipped up front extra it would perhaps bring better service. Not that the service isnt great to begin with:)

Thanks for clearing that up, it makes more sense that way. The “or” in your wording had me thinking it’s this “or” that – not both.

Sometimes a tip up front can be viewed as a bribe in some cultures. What I always do is talk with my stateroom attendant as a friend. I say I’m assured that they will take good care of us so we can enjoy our vacation, thank them and tell I will return the same.

I’ve had great service and I give them a thank you card with a little extra on the last day of the cruise:).

Joel

I tip at the end of the cruise for the stateroom attendant.

Participate in the "manadatory ship gratuity program".

Only If the attendant went beyond expectations, do we add more. We are Very neat 'n tidy, so I know our cabin is one of the easier chores.

I also tip each and every time ($1 per plate) to the buffet crew who might be available to help me with my plate (a.k.a. tray) and perhaps get me a drink. The crew gets clobbered in that area and to receive an xtra dollar has never failed for them to look for us, so I take that to mean "tis appreciated". We keep dollars in our pocket and do tip whenever a little special assistance is rendered, worth of a gratuity.

This is such a personal thing - each situation is different.

I was looking at phone cards the other day. Do any of you ever give them out? which one might be the most appropriate?

From reading other posts and threads on this and other boards, tipping up front is often taken as an insult. I wouldn't do it, don't see the point.

Really? I have never heard that before. I always tip a little extra right from the start, I also tell my cabin steward that we sleep late, and what we like to have in our cabin every day. It works out great. I'm sure there is no need to tip extra, but I like to do it. They always seem very grateful.

Archived