Celebrity Raised prices on my December Sailing on the Equinox.

grammagrace

No I am not worried about my price going up, I put a deposit down in June. But usually prices go down not up. I am sailing on December 14th, not the Christmas Cruise. It is the one right before Christmas that is why I am shocked.

I agree with the previous poster that the cruise must be selling well.

It is strange that the cruise before Christmas would have a sharp increase like that, usually they're harder to sell. But, this cruise was offered in the Celebrity deals email last week (or the week before, I don't remember), so they probably had a good response there, enough to raise the price and capitalize on the demand.

I'm sailing on the Equinox on 9/13. As of today, the lowest priced balcony for that cruise is listed now at $2,679 before taxes (although I don't actually see any available at that price). But regardless, we booked in June and paid over $700 LESS then that (including taxes). In fact even including our flight the price is cheaper then cruise only now.

Who says there is a recession?!? :)

An Increase even for cruises that would seem to be not that propular of a date isn't strange.

In the past, we'd seen SR prices increase as the avail went down, especially for verandas and so on.

That is happening even during this recession period when prices started pretty low and have dropped.

Example: We are on Solstice for a late Nov E. Med followed by a end of Nov/Dec TA. Not exactly High Season. Good prices to start with and got them over a year ago. In early Apr 09, prices dropped, then dropped again the end of Apr 09. Took advantage of both. I check all the time and at least for our CC2 class, which has a low percentage left (over 88% of CC2 taken for both cruises), both cruises show a bit of an increase over what I got them adjusted for. Not a big increase, but it is a bit over my rate right now. I don't list specifics because all it does is make someone mad if they missed a 'deal'. My philosophy is, I must have liked the earlier price because I took it - it they want to lower it, I'll take that too, but I must have been happy with the original or I won't have booked.

So you'll see it all the time, decreases and then back up, or just go up a bit until (maybe) right before saildate.

I've seen posts about people who are able to jump in at the last minute and get good deals - good on them! But as a general statement, until this recession time, at least for 'X', I haven't seen much decrease, and have seen increases for sure.

I'm not an expert, but that is what I've seen on my specific cruises.

Denny

Our 2/26 Equinox sailing just increase in price. Fortunately we booked a week ago. The cabins are like airline seats, the price goes up and down based on demand and their passenger load algorithms. Like others, we normally see either a decrease in price or a consolidation of the cats that allows us to move up for the same price. I actually went to pricing to see if there had been a decrease.

The cruise price won't do up but if you booked air with them and it goes up - you pay the difference

I always thought that was why you locked in the air - so that if the price went up you did not pay the differance????

Patty

Example: We are on Solstice for a late Nov E. Med followed by a end of Nov/Dec TA. Not exactly High Season. Good prices to start with and got them over a year ago. In early Apr 09, prices dropped, then dropped again the end of Apr 09. Took advantage of both. I check all the time and at least for our CC2 class, which has a low percentage left (over 88% of CC2 taken for both cruises), both cruises show a bit of an increase over what I got them adjusted for. Not a big increase, but it is a bit over my rate right now. I don't list specifics because all it does is make someone mad if they missed a 'deal'. My philosophy is, I must have liked the earlier price because I took it - it they want to lower it, I'll take that too, but I must have been happy with the original or I won't have booked.

Denny

Hi Denny,

How do you find out the percentage of cabins booked? Can you also find out how full a ship is before the sail date?

Thanks.

Marilyn

I always thought that was why you locked in the air - so that if the price went up you did not pay the differance????

Patty

Not sure where that comes from, but when you book your cruise plus air, that is the price you pay even if the cabin and/or air go up. Our air went up for a S America cruise and we paid what we originally booked at. The poster may have worked through a TA or some other site, but I've booked through 'X" a couple of times and air does not change.

There was a case where the cabin price when down, but I couldn't take advantage of it because I had the air/cabin package, and the air was higher. Stayed with the original. You usually can't separate them.

You have signed a contract when you book and pay your initial fee and that is the price you and 'X' agreed to.

Denny

I am currently booked on the Equinox on December 14th of this year. While doing my weekly check on the price to see whether their was a price drop, I noticed a $200.00 increase per person. Wonder Why?

My AQ for the same cruise has increased and I noticed that 8 cabins remain. Be sure to join our roll call.

I am currently booked on the Equinox on December 14th of this year. While doing my weekly check on the price to see whether their was a price drop, I noticed a $200.00 increase per person. Wonder Why?

I will be on the Equinox a week before you. Sailing 12/4/09. We actually had a price drop and I saved a $ 100.00 per person. You should post in the Equinox Roll Call for your sailing if you have not done so already.

You have signed a contract when you book and pay your initial fee and that is the price you and 'X' agreed to.

Denny

Except for fuel surcharges (for the cruise, not sure about air) which can be added after you have paid. That too is part of the contract.

Archived