Nice Upgrade, but unneeded stress created ?

marc b

It never ceases to amaze me how rude passengers can be and how irrate they get over the smallest item. I am always entertained at the end of the cruise by passengers pushing, shoving and getting frustrated as they try to escape from their holiday. I love the boarding process and finding out whether or not that rare upgrade has happened. Since it is supposedly the start of a rest period why start it by getting frustrated. Ceilidh1 I appreciate all the check in agents work and patience, they do seem to really enjoy their job despite some of the 'interesting characters' they meet up with. I have found being nice to the agent whether ship, plane or transfer can produce magical results.

But couldn't all the stress, even with happy outcomes, be averted by marking the booking "No Upgrade"? We are very fussy about location, and would not be happy with an upgrade from our lowly inside to an oceanview or even a balcony in another part of the ship. We've never had to worry about it, as our booking is clearly noted as not being receptive to an upgrade.

Some check-in counter surprises aren't quite as nice as finding out you have been upgraded to a suite. At one of our check-ins our paperwork had a note that said we needed to talk to a ship's representative. The clerk had no idea what it was about. While we waited for the person to come over we started thinking "maybe they are going to upgrade us, or at least offer us a really great deal on an upgrade". As it turned out all they wanted to tell us was that we would not be able to go to our room until after 3:00 because they were doing "special cleaning". This is not something you want to hear; thinking maybe there was someone in there with noro or something on the previous cruise. Turned out it was mold in the shower, which was there the whole cruise. I got really sick of the smell of bleach. Actually my biggest complaint about getting to the room late on boarding day was that I had to go through the lunch buffet line twice to kill time ;) - made me feel so guilty that I only had one dessert that night at dinner.

A co-worker was once behind an abusive passenger when checking in for a flight. The abusuve one was real upset about something that was definitely not under the agent's responsibility.

When it was the co-worker's turn, he complemented the agent on keeping her cool with all the undeserved abuse.

She responded: "This job has it's rewards. He is going to Boston. His luggage is going to Tokyo."

A co-worker was once behind an abusive passenger when checking in for a flight. The abusuve one was real upset about something that was definitely not under the agent's responsibility.

When it was the co-worker's turn, he complemented the agent on keeping her cool with all the undeserved abuse.

She responded: "This job has it's rewards. He is going to Boston. His luggage is going to Tokyo."

Priceless....:D:D:D

The worst piece is when customers SCREAM at us because they need to wait in line for security screening and US customs/immigration. As we are in Canada and they are cruising to the US, they need to pre-clear US customs/immigration before boarding. I think this is pretty unique to Vancouver (maybe a few other ports, but not too many) and is absolutely nothing to do with the cruise lines at all - it is mandated by US homeland security in order to keep the US safe. I understand that waiting in line sucks, but you're about to go on vacation....chill out! What really annoys me is that they yell at the reps and threaten never to cruise with the line again, and say how they have never had to wait in line before - yet NO ONE yells at the immigration officers who are the ones responsible for actually making them wait in line...sorry, a little off topic, but my rant of the day!!!! Thanks for listening!

After working in retail, I can feel empathy for you. And those of us who are in line hate being behind these jerks. Not only does it cause more of a wait for us, but their behavior makes us uncomfortable.

But couldn't all the stress, even with happy outcomes, be averted by marking the booking "No Upgrade"? We are very fussy about location, and would not be happy with an upgrade from our lowly inside to an oceanview or even a balcony in another part of the ship. We've never had to worry about it, as our booking is clearly noted as not being receptive to an upgrade.

I was thinking this too. Our last two bookings we marked as "no upgrade." If there are areas of the ship that you don't want to be in, it's probably better just to book what you like, where you like, and what category you can afford. But that's us.

Reminds me of some years ago when traveling with my mother. She's not the best traveller (despite many plane trips, even to Europe and the Middle East) and was particularly acting up on the way to Seattle. When we were back at the airport to return home, she was telling those at the check in desk that she better get an aisle seat, etc. My eyes were rolling in my head so much, I thought they would get strained, but I wasn't able to stop her rants. When we got to LAX and discovered our luggage wasn't on the baggage claim (and apparently had been taken off at the Reno stop), I wasn't surprised.

THAT is special!:D

We are booked on the Ruby for January 19, 2010 and was ask if we wanted to be put on the "upgrade" list. We said no, as she said that you would never know where your "upgrade" was would be. We do not like the front or back of the ship and want at least a partly coverered balcony.

What kind of rooms did any of you get with the "upgrade".

slowpoke58

The worst piece is when customers SCREAM at us because they need to wait in line for security screening and US customs/immigration. As we are in Canada and they are cruising to the US, they need to pre-clear US customs/immigration before boarding. I think this is pretty unique to Vancouver (maybe a few other ports, but not too many) and is absolutely nothing to do with the cruise lines at all - it is mandated by US homeland security in order to keep the US safe. I understand that waiting in line sucks, but you're about to go on vacation....chill out! What really annoys me is that they yell at the reps and threaten never to cruise with the line again, and say how they have never had to wait in line before - yet NO ONE yells at the immigration officers who are the ones responsible for actually making them wait in line...sorry, a little off topic, but my rant of the day!!!! Thanks for listening!

It's simple, no one wants to get arrested!!

was incredible - some examples: waffles, french toast, eggs benedict, fresh squeezed o.j.; open 7-9:30 on port days; 7-10:30 on sea days. We ended up in a Veranda Suite. Very lucky and very nice ! Still think they should have a layout of the ship (with staterooms and categories) at the port for staff and passengers to see, it's just common sense for those whose cabins get switched......a few dozen brochures would do the trick.....I know others seem to feel otherwise, but hey, when you don't know where you will be on the ship, it can be very stressful......

We told them "no upgrade" when we booked our room. Can they change your room if you do this?

slowpoke58

Actually, if you marked your stateroom choice as 'no upgrade', they are not supposed to change your stateroom without notifying you first, and getting your OK. ;)

Archived