Packing Lighter - Luggage

melgray13

I am so inspired by all the reports of the carry on only travelers. My husband and I are looking forward to 3 weeks in Asia in April. I am going to do my best to really cut down on the packing. So I'm shopping for smart clothing but I'm looking for tips beyond simple cutbacks.

My question: what to do recommend in terms of luggage to help make the most of the luggage you take?

-backpack suggestions for carry on? get a lot in without falling over when carrying?

-do packing cubes really help? suggestions on use?

-is a duffle style suitcase better than a traditional suitcase

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!!

You can get a whole lot more stuff into a duffle than you can a traditional suitcase. The tradeoff is less organization so there is where the packing cubes and folders come in handy. The thing you have to watch out for is to not go crazy with the packing folders and cubes since they do add a bit of weight.

Duffles, even the rolling type, weigh far less than a suitcase because they have little or no framing. Some of them have drop bottoms (the bottom looks like a typical suitcase), many of them have side pockets or shoe pockets to keep dirty shoes away from clothing. You do have to buy one of fairly decent quality. We sell some cheap brands and they typically last only a couple of trips if checked onto an airline. People many times make their purchase decision based on price alone and the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so very true with luggage. Of course value has a different meaning to all of us, if you only have one trip planned and will ditch the piece, you don't want to pay the same price as a person investing in a piece they want to last for years.

We even have duffles that are a carry on size with wheels (I've many times considered buying it). Some have no wheels, no framing at all and are great for carry on since they weigh almost nothing. Those are real casual, we sell a lot to college students leaving home for school.

Luggage and backpacks fall over when overpacked because many of them don't have support stands at the front of the bag, or the support stand is behind the zipper instead of in front of it. Again, the less expensive brands are not as carefully constructed and don't have these small details worked out.

Visit a luggage store and compare the difference, there is so much more to consider beyond price and color. I know a lot of people will recommend X product, but they don't know your needs, what you consider to be a value and price your point. A little guidance with features, fabric and zipper quality, packing space, etc... We actually do have people that will bring in clothing, try on backpacks, take things home and practise pack, sometimes returning for a smaller/larger piece. Department stores sometimes carry a few, but lack trained personnel...the price is the same almost wherever you make your purchase. We have the same prices (sometimes lower) than advertised sales at places like Macy's.

my latest buy is Heys 4wd carry on. It has 4 wheels (spinner), is a true rectangle (for more packing room), hardsided case. It doesn't fall over since it has 4 wheels. I've even used it as a little side table in the airport for my coffee.

It's only 6 lbs empty. My only complaint is that it doesn't have an outside pocket (to store magazine, loose papers). I've used it for 2 overseas trips and lent it to my parent's for their last trip.

I use packing cubes to keep things organized. I got mine from ebags on sale. Wouldn't travel without them now.

I love my light, rolling DASH suitcase from brookstone. Some rolling suitcases are easier to maneuver compared to non-rolling, but they can still be heavy and place stress on your arm/hand. The DASH is not only lightweight and hardshelled (for protection of items), but it has 4 wheels that allow you to roll it while being in a straight up position...much easier and lighter. (This might not seem relevant to your post, so I'll explain: you're asking how to make the most of the luggage that you take - since, to put it bluntly, you'll want to cram as much as you can into the suitcase, thereby making a pretty dense pile of stuff...you will want a light suitcase to start out with to balance out the density of the stuff inside the case so that you won't go over the weight limit...since I'm guessing that you're taking a plane somewhere. Also, if all that you're going to take is a carry-on, you'll have to lug the thing around more since you won't be dropping it off - this is where the 4-wheels come into play. The DASH also expands in case you come back w/more than you left with.)

This is a good site: http://www.onebag.com/

If I remember correctly, though, the person doesn't agree to hardshell or rolling luggage.

I still do not get packing cubes. What do you pack in them????

I like the folders for shirts. I stuff socks, undies stuff like that in plastic bags inside shoes. What the heck goes in the cubes?

Clothing...all sorts of clothing...the cubes are plastic and so all

the air can get sucked out of them and so they seem to hold a

alot of things.

I don't use them but they are very popular.

I still do not get packing cubes. What do you pack in them????

I like the folders for shirts. I stuff socks, undies stuff like that in plastic bags inside shoes. What the heck goes in the cubes?

I know what you mean, I use every available open space for small squishy items as well. My packing cubes will hold things that are larger, like robe, pajamas, bathing suit and cover up. I roll those things up and place them side by side, they work pretty well to fill in the spaces on the bottom of the suitcase, where the handle makes the bottom uneven. Many times I'll use smaller ones for my camera and DVD charger, complete with cords that would hang out all over the place.

Think of them as organization pockets more than just things to hold clothing.

We are now carrying those small Heys cases, they are so cute and colorful! We even have some for kids with Disney characters. I've seen the little case mentioned here from Brookstone...it's a great little carry on if you like little!

Currently the maximum domestic carry on size is 22 inches, That may be a rule that changes and it does depend on the airline. We've been hearing the maximum size may be lowered to 20 inches :eek: So I don't hesitate to mention that to people who are buying new carry on pieces. These small Heys and Brookstone cases are 17 and 18 inch, most of our luggage lines are now offering smaller carry on pieces.

Although I have my Victorinox in almost every size and configuration, I do have my eye on their new 20 inch case :) My husband carries Tumi and I may invest in a smaller rollaboard for him, I was going to get him a 22 inch to complete his set but a 20 inch will conform to the new rules if in fact it is enacted.

Currently the maximum domestic carry on size is 22 inches, That may be a rule that changes and it does depend on the airline. We've been hearing the maximum size may be lowered to 20 inches :eek: So I don't hesitate to mention that to people who are buying new carry on pieces. These small Heys and Brookstone cases are 17 and 18 inch, most of our luggage lines are now offering smaller carry on pieces.

I would highly recommend the 20" carry on anyway, as that is the general standard for overseas flights. Flights originating in the US have historically been lax about this, but I've found that when coming home, the European crews are much stricter and you will find your 22" carry on having to be checked.

I've come to believe that packing is highly personalized, and sometimes you have to see what works for you.

I don't like duffles because things shift around too much. Sure, you can stuff it full, but then you run the risk of heavier pieces being put on top and zippers giving out....

Suitcases are much lighter weight than they used to be, and many have the 4 maneuverable wheels as well. I'd much rather have the frame to give some structure. I can pack a suitcase moderately full and not have things shift (e.g., not wrinkle) in transit.

I don't use any sort of packing folder or cube; I just don't see the use for them. I'm pretty sure I can put more in my suitcase than the average packer because people constantly marvel at how much I am able to bring along in limited space. I utilize every centimeter!

my latest buy is Heys 4wd carry on. It has 4 wheels (spinner), is a true rectangle (for more packing room), hardsided case. It doesn't fall over since it has 4 wheels. I've even used it as a little side table in the airport for my coffee.

It's only 6 lbs empty. My only complaint is that it doesn't have an outside pocket (to store magazine, loose papers). I've used it for 2 overseas trips and lent it to my parent's for their last trip.

I use packing cubes to keep things organized. I got mine from ebags on sale. Wouldn't travel without them now.

I too have Heys luggage. Click here to see the set I have. The carry-on does have an outside pocket unlike the hardsided ones.

I also use packing cubes and can't believe how much easier it is to pack and stay organized.

You can get a whole lot more stuff into a duffle than you can a traditional suitcase. The tradeoff is less organization so there is where the packing cubes and folders come in handy. The thing you have to watch out for is to not go crazy with the packing folders and cubes since they do add a bit of weight.

Duffles, even the rolling type, weigh far less than a suitcase because they have little or no framing. Some of them have drop bottoms (the bottom looks like a typical suitcase), many of them have side pockets or shoe pockets to keep dirty shoes away from clothing. You do have to buy one of fairly decent quality. We sell some cheap brands and they typically last only a couple of trips if checked onto an airline. People many times make their purchase decision based on price alone and the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so very true with luggage. Of course value has a different meaning to all of us, if you only have one trip planned and will ditch the piece, you don't want to pay the same price as a person investing in a piece they want to last for years.

We even have duffles that are a carry on size with wheels (I've many times considered buying it). Some have no wheels, no framing at all and are great for carry on since they weigh almost nothing. Those are real casual, we sell a lot to college students leaving home for school.

Luggage and backpacks fall over when overpacked because many of them don't have support stands at the front of the bag, or the support stand is behind the zipper instead of in front of it. Again, the less expensive brands are not as carefully constructed and don't have these small details worked out.

Visit a luggage store and compare the difference, there is so much more to consider beyond price and color. I know a lot of people will recommend X product, but they don't know your needs, what you consider to be a value and price your point. A little guidance with features, fabric and zipper quality, packing space, etc... We actually do have people that will bring in clothing, try on backpacks, take things home and practise pack, sometimes returning for a smaller/larger piece. Department stores sometimes carry a few, but lack trained personnel...the price is the same almost wherever you make your purchase. We have the same prices (sometimes lower) than advertised sales at places like Macy's.

I guess some would consider me a "cheapskate" but I go to luggage stores and look at the quality fo the various brands and all the features available, etc, then go to a discount place such as TJ Maxx or Ross and look for LAST YEAR's models of the brands I like. They are usually discounted by at least half and have the same quality and many of the same features.

I guess some would consider me a "cheapskate" but I go to luggage stores and look at the quality fo the various brands and all the features available, etc, then go to a discount place such as TJ Maxx or Ross and look for LAST YEAR's models of the brands I like. They are usually discounted by at least half and have the same quality and many of the same features.

Not only do you get a bargain but when the newer models come out and you want to trade up you don't feel like your money is wasted.

It may be the TJ Maxx we have near us, but when I go there are no name brand luggage pieces like the ones we carry. I see brands like Dianne Von Furstenberg, Andiamo, Samsonite, American Tourister, Claiborne etc... and all those are not what I would call good quality luggage.

Most luggage is already discounted by half no matter where you buy it with the exception of high end pieces like Tumi, Hartmann, Briggs and Riley, Rimowa. The higher end stuff is not discounted by any legitimate retailer unless the manufacturer allows it.

You can sometimes buy an occasional piece of high end luggage at discount end of the line places, but believe me it is not last years models. Right now we are at the end of Victorinox Tourbach line, they are re-doing it, but it has been on clearance for over a year now. Once the new stuff comes out in September they will probably have another mark down, the last pieces may end up in a discounter in another year or two.

I think I know too much about the quality of materials, the warranties about luggage :o

Not only do you get a bargain but when the newer models come out and you want to trade up you don't feel like your money is wasted.

We all have our idea of value and mine is quality that lasts. I carry Victorinox, have for almost 10 years and if anything happens to it, I have it repaired. If they can't fix it, they replace it and it is at no cost to me, even airline damage...any damage for any reason. I haven't had anything break on any of my pieces yet. Before I had this line I replaced luggage after every few trips, it wasn't worth fixing.

However, it does depend on a persons travels. If you are a casual vacation traveler with only 1-5 trips per year, then replacing luggage every few years can be a savings.

I am so inspired by all the reports of the carry on only travelers. My husband and I are looking forward to 3 weeks in Asia in April. I am going to do my best to really cut down on the packing. So I'm shopping for smart clothing but I'm looking for tips beyond simple cutbacks.

My question: what to do recommend in terms of luggage to help make the most of the luggage you take?

-backpack suggestions for carry on? get a lot in without falling over when carrying?

-do packing cubes really help? suggestions on use?

-is a duffle style suitcase better than a traditional suitcase

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!!

I have an Eagle Creek Cross Roads 22 (discontinued). I really like it, it is a roller that can convert to a backpack. Eagle Creek did replace it with another model. I don't take it when we cruise, but when we do a land trip - especially if we will be using trains - it is great. I also use the packing cubes and envelopes, also Eagle Creek. I like to put undies, socks and any small items in the cubes, so if my bag is opened by TSA no one is touching my personal items! (I hope :eek:)

I just took my first trip with my new Heys 25 inch bag. This bag has a divider pocket, 3 inch expandable zipper, 4 wheel spinners, and is polycarbonate so empty weight is about 8 pounds empty (replaced a 16 pound 26 inch with lots of zippered pockets). I love it. Considerably smaller in size but holds as much as the older one. Clamshell so 2 equal halves takes a bit more room and does not fit on luggage stand ( bad). Cool thing though is slips under the bed open in cruise cabins. I paid $47 at TJ MAX. Last year bought the 31 inch model of polycarbonate. TOO BIG! Would not fit in the taxi cab trunk. Fully packed I could get 80 pounds into the one suitcase. Also shiny smooth black got very scuffed. Red textured also was scuffed and smeared with black sticky goo but I took a Mr. Clean eraser to it and looks like new!

If you have a little age on you consider the 4 wheel spinners. The 50 pounds of a suitcase all goes on your shoulder/arm and with your arm in back of you when you drag --I experienced pain in the arm, rotor cuff.

Dr. told a friend with rotor cuff surgery to not carry more than 5 pounds on a shoulder (yes ladies that is your purse! your tote bag! your carry-on or your duffle bag -- your rotor cuff doesn't care what you are carrying.)

My hardside luggage lets stuff slide around too much. I saw these storage totes (rectangle ,flexible, heavy plastic, zipper around top and mesh around top so air not trapped, stackable) and bought 2 for about $5 each at the grocery store. I can put all clothes for 5 days (I'm a fairly take everything kind of person:p) in Each tote. It is like having a drawer on each side of the suitcase. Poor person's packing cube. Used for 2 trips of 10 days each and no sign of wear. Keeps it organized.

Look at Ziploc.com website for ideas. I did not care for the Big Bags but that is just my opinion. The totes can also be used in closets or under bed storage when you have to stay home.

Archived