HAL dropping Kona from Hawaii cruise

Tina G

I have always loved Kona - a week, a day, a month, whatever! It's a charming spot and there are so many beautiful drives to take from there. Glad I'm going in November so they will still be stopping there. I can see the company's financial wisdom of making it a 14 day cruise but I will be sad to see the itinerary shortened.

There is a very nice and quiet beach near the airport in Kona that we enjoyed on our Circle of Hawaii cruise with HAL. We also loved the 15 day length of the cruise. Is more cost cutting driving this decision?

Sorry to contradict you again, but being booked on the Feb 17, 2011 voyage, I can say with certainty that QV is offering 14 nights with no Kona. Did 15 nights about 7 years ago on Princess with a beautiful evening sail by the volcano and was looking forward to seeing that again. Made me hestitate about booking, but only for a second! Looking forward to two glorious weeks in PG!

My apologies - You're so right!

I wonder what Kona did to tick off CCL?

Maybe some day they will move it back up to 15 days and if they keep Kona off, maybe they will consider docking in Honalulu from eight one morning until 10 in the evening on the second day. I love Honolulu and could easily spend two days on the Island of Oahu.

Maybe some day they will move it back up to 15 days and if they keep Kona off, maybe they will consider docking in Honalulu from eight one morning until 10 in the evening on the second day. I love Honolulu and could easily spend two days on the Island of Oahu.

I agree, I love Honolulu too. I lived in Waikiki for a short time and love to go back and revist. Not for a week, but 2 days would be just perfect.

The last time we cruised to Hawaii in 2006 onboard the Volendam, they stopped in Honolulu over night. The crew all had a chance for shore leave, and boy were they one happy bunch. It also allowed the passengers a chance to see everything they wanted to see without that rushed feeling. I too wish that they would consider an overnight in Honolulu.

Maybe someday they will drop HILO and stop at KONA. A few years ago at HILO I took the Helicopter ride over the active volcano and enjoyed this very much. Perhaps that could be done from KONA also. I would still like to see two days in Honolulu.

The last time we cruised to Hawaii in 2006 onboard the Volendam, they stopped in Honolulu over night. The crew all had a chance for shore leave, and boy were they one happy bunch. It also allowed the passengers a chance to see everything they wanted to see without that rushed feeling. I too wish that they would consider an overnight in Honolulu.

Oh wouldn't that be fun?

It would have to be much cheaper for the line since there would be little fuel usage from hauling to the next island, and most folks would dine ashore...

(I know I would - At the Pink Palace)

...if we could sail from San Francisco - It would be like the old days of the Matson Line.

Bev - We should plan on enjoying a long lunch on their lanai this coming spring!

:)

Ever want to think ourside the box ??? Why not sail out of Honolulu go to several islands in and then take a 5 day detour to Christmas island as a far away port ? Christmas island would be about a two day trip to cover 1300 miles vs 2500 to San Diego. Stay a day and take a two day trip back. That would leave 9 days to cruise the islands. I wonder if the Jones act would accept this ?

That idea is cool....but doesn't help with those who'd rather "sail" and not fly from mainland :D .... flying is not my favorite form of transportation :eek: can you say "white knuckle" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ever want to think ourside the box ??? Why not sail out of Honolulu go to several islands in and then take a 5 day detour to Christmas island as a far away port ? Christmas island would be about a two day trip to cover 1300 miles vs 2500 to San Diego. Stay a day and take a two day trip back. That would leave 9 days to cruise the islands. I wonder if the Jones act would accept this ?

This is Better!! I don't want all those sea days coming & going for only 4 days in Hawaii. We took the old Independence of American Hawaii around the islands with extra days on the ends. That's the way to see Hawaii and still cruise! Now you need to go with NCL to get that. Dropping Kona like Princess is awful. I would rather bite the bullet and fly over there!!

Better yet, stay overnight in each one of the five Hawaiian ports with 2 overnights in Honolulu and call it a 21 day cruise. They'd still be able to be in and out of San Diego on Sundays. I'd take that cruise in a minute.

Bruce

It's been done - That's the itinerary NCL did before they bought the rusting hulks of the SS United States and Independence to swap registration flags and do their all Hawaii cruises.

It's been done - That's the itinerary NCL did before they bought the rusting hulks of the SS United States and Independence to swap registration flags and do their all Hawaii cruises.

Except they went to Fanning Island instead of Christmas Island.

Christmas Island is a tender port, and there's a really, really good chance of not getting ashore. There was a time it was on all the HAL South Pacific cruise itineraries, and was dropped because of the inability to deliver that port. Apparently, Fanning Island has a better record. I don't know if ships dock there.

Except they went to Fanning Island instead of Christmas Island.

Christmas Island is a tender port, and there's a really, really good chance of not getting ashore. There was a time it was on all the HAL South Pacific cruise itineraries, and was dropped because of the inability to deliver that port. Apparently, Fanning Island has a better record. I don't know if ships dock there.

They actually would not have to dock just anchor for a short period of time -- like the stop in Encinada -- Just enough to satisfy the Jones act and then head back to Hawaii. Another aspect of this concept is that they could have five sea days ( and all warm weather sea days ) and if they could save on lots of fuel since they would cut off 2400 miles of sea travel vs San Diego.

Ahh Yes - Your memory is better than mine.:)

That's because I've been to Christmas Island. Or not been, as it were. The seas were too rough for us to be able to tender that day. Natch. :rolleyes:

It was pretty to look at during the scenic cruising, though. And the on-deck "Christmas" party---complete with Santa Clause---was a lot of fun.

Archived