HAL dropping Kona from Hawaii cruise

Tina G

I just confirmed this with a HAL agent. Starting in October 2010, the HAL Hawaii cruise will be reduced to 14 days roundtrip from San Diego, dropping the port of Kona!:eek: This is the same itinerary Princess offers out of LA.

I just confirmed this with a HAL agent. Starting in October 2010, the HAL Hawaii cruise will be reduced to 14 days roundtrip from San Diego, dropping the port of Kona!:eek: This is the same itinerary Princess offers out of LA.

Cunard has begun offering 15 day cruises out of LA aboard Queen Victoria - and the itinerary includes Kona.

No need for 3 lines in the same corporation to offer the same itinerary and compete with one another for passengers.

We sailed to The Islands this year........and we're booked to sail again in 2011......just our opinion - there wasn't much at all to Kona, save The Palace and the Church.....we won't miss not sailing to Kona in 2011.

Rick/John

When we first started cruising to Hawaii they also stopped at Molokai. They dropped Molokai back in 03 I think. Now Kona. I will miss Kona as there is some good snorkeling there and some of the best shave ice right off the pier.

It is a shame but it won't change how often we visit. It is the ship experience as well as the ports for me.

I loved seeing Kona, and am really glad I got there when I did. But ... for me, the ship is my main destination, so with or without Kona - I'll be thrilled to sail the Zaandam any chance I get.

What I find Disagreeable is from 15 to 14 days. More days the better.:(

COP

We were just there last October and found Kona to be a very enjoyable port - I'm sorry to hear this. I remember one of the business owners lamenting over the loss of cruise customers over the years, and how difficult it’s been recently. While HAL isn’t the only line that cruises Hawaii, I have little doubt that this loss of thousands of potential customers each season will hurt some of the business there – I’m sure they’re sorry to hear it too.

Bruce

This is one of the reasons we have decided to cruise to Hawaii in March of next year. We enjoyed all 5 ports before, and we look forward to visiting them all again.

I would love to have done this cruise...but, as it is, it's difficult enough to wait for February to cruise...can't wait another month! And, our oldest granddaughter will turn 10 on March 25, so this wasn't an option for us.

With such a fabulous group, I know you'll have a blast!

We are booked for april 27 on the Zandaam to Hawaii. Did the rip this year and thought it was wonderful.

We are pretty sure we are doing the April 27th cruise too.....now I am thinking---will that be the last time HAL stops in Kona? Maybe that will make the decision easier....but we will see Kona in Nov.....whew.....(guess you can tell I love Hawaii)....:D

we're bummed - the departure day is Sunday. We're locals who are not retired and a Sunday departure just blows a day for us.

It also makes the return a Sunday, which makes it difficult for a return to work on Monday, especially for those on the east coast.

Cunard has begun offering 15 day cruises out of LA aboard Queen Victoria - and the itinerary includes Kona.

No need for 3 lines in the same corporation to offer the same itinerary and compete with one another for passengers.

Sorry to contradict you again, but being booked on the Feb 17, 2011 voyage, I can say with certainty that QV is offering 14 nights with no Kona. Did 15 nights about 7 years ago on Princess with a beautiful evening sail by the volcano and was looking forward to seeing that again. Made me hestitate about booking, but only for a second! Looking forward to two glorious weeks in PG!

Archived