Help - packing today

firststeps

Okay, we are packing now and want to ask one last time...(please don't shoot me) what are people wearing on formal nights on the princess to alaska. I think the fact that it is to ALASKA is important to note! Just spoke to a friend who said that EVERYTHING was informal. We are really trying to pack light and would love to eliminate my husband's suit. Would a nice shirt with a sweater and nice slacks suffice on the formal nights? We don't want to "stick out", on the other hand, we are going for a relaxing, fun vacation and certainly don't want to stress about clothing. You can tell this is our first cruise. Would particularly like to hear from folks who have been on an Alaskan cruise... Thanks in advance...

When we went to Alaska, the formal nights were the same as any other cruise we've taken. During the day it is very casual. However, on formal nights people were dressed up. Sorry. I know you didn't want to hear that. You can always go to the Horizon Court if you don't want to dress up. You're going to have a wonderful cruise.

Firststeps,

For Alaska my husband is just bringing a sports coat with dark pants and black shoes. That pretty much covers it. We are packed very light. Granted we rarely use the dining room. But you will see a mix of formal wear on that night.

We just got off the Sapphire and we also saw a mix of everything on formal night.

My husband wore a sports coat, tie, dress shirt, black slacks and black shoes. The black slacks were also worn to the dining room during the other nights with a golf shirt. He didn't wear the slacks that long and so he only needed one pair. If something should happen they have the laundromat on board.

I wore a pair of dressy slacks with dressy tops and high heels on formal night. I did not feel out of place. I did take a pair of black slacks and shirts like you would wear to work with me for the other nights.

We did not see a lots of tuxes being worn but it can be handy to rent one from the ship.

We were on the Coral Princess doing a B2B 10 days ago. Formal night was just that, formal night. Men were in dark suits and many had on tuxes. Women were in dressy pantsuits as well cocktail dresses. I did not see many beaded dresses or tops, they just be "out" of style now.

I just got back from the Star Princess to Alaska on Sunday. Most people were dressed formally on formal night. I even saw quite a few tuxedos. The people who dressed more casually did tend to stand out. Even my husband (who does not read these boards and is not aware of all the formal night discussions) commented on how casually some people were dressed.

And then there was the older gentleman who was wearing red and white plaid bermuda shorts on formal night...:eek:

You can eat in the Dining Room on Formal nights, without a suit or tux or long gown. A sport jacket for a man will do just fine, no tie and I'm sure that a nice top and pants will do just fine for you. Having been on Alaskan cruises twice, they are not more formal than others.

You don't have to eat in the buffet, you paid the same as the others and are entitled to the same. I'm sure that a lot of flack will ensue from this posting, don't bother everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The world doesn't come to an end if you are not dressed to someone else's standards.

Enjoy

synet165

You can eat in the Dining Room on Formal nights, without a suit or tux or long gown. A sport jacket for a man will do just fine, no tie and I'm sure that a nice top and pants will do just fine for you. Having been on Alaskan cruises twice, they are not more formal than others.

You don't have to eat in the buffet, you paid the same as the others and are entitled to the same. I'm sure that a lot of flack will ensue from this posting, don't bother everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The world doesn't come to an end if you are not dressed to someone else's standards.

Enjoy

synet165

It not Formal night its Photography Night

Now if you want a great over priced photo of your Family then that's the way to go.

It the Hatfields and The McCoys when it comes to this thread

Its your vacation-you paid good money for Do what you want and dress that way

No one will say anything execept on this board

and what I found that only a small percentage on the ship even know about Cruise Critic.

Enjoy Alaska

jazzyman

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I think he is going to pack a jacket, good slacks and nice black sweater. Forget the tie and dress shirt. Just one more thing to pack! As a few of you stated, this is OUR vacation and really, who cares what someone wears - but bermuda shorts??? That must have been a hoot.

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I think he is going to pack a jacket, good slacks and nice black sweater. Forget the tie and dress shirt. Just one more thing to pack! As a few of you stated, this is OUR vacation and really, who cares what someone wears - but bermuda shorts??? That must have been a hoot.

Have a great trip. We leave tomorrow on the Golden:D

We are also going on our 1st Alaskan cruise & wondering about the packing/dress code. We definitely do not want to over pack, & with the cooler temp./bulkier clothes needed in Sept., it seems to leave little room for "dress" clothes & shoes. If we choose not to do the formal night, what other options are there; & just regular dining what is expected to be worn, are jeans & nice shirts ok? Thanks for your hep & if these questions have already been asked & answered somewhere else, I apologize for the duplication; this is the first time to this website also.

We returned from a Northbound on the Diamond last week (after a land tour).

Folks dressed in dinner jackets, tux, suits, sports coats, etc. I wore a navy blue suit. I would have to say this is the first time we did the portrats for both formal nights and actually bought them.

As for packing lightly, a light fleese, lined rain coat, jeans.

A couple of long sleeved shirts, short sleeved for the warmer days, you should be good to go.

Hi there. I just asked this same question over on the Cruise Fashions board, a few days ago. We're trying to keep the packing & luggage to a minimum, and don't want to have to pack a garment bag for DH's suit. We'll be on the Diamond Princess in just over a week. DH is thinking of wearing a shirt & tie, nice pants, but no jacket (he doesn't have one that fits since he lost 90 pounds recently...)

Would he feel out of place without a jacket or a suit? Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Mary Ellen

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I think he is going to pack a jacket, good slacks and nice black sweater. Forget the tie and dress shirt. Just one more thing to pack! As a few of you stated, this is OUR vacation and really, who cares what someone wears

If you have an "I don't care, it's my vacation" attitude, then why ask? Alaska ships are the same as any other when it comes to formal nights, and the shirt & tie take less up room than a sweater.

If you have an "I don't care, it's my vacation" attitude, then why ask? Alaska ships are the same as any other when it comes to formal nights, and the shirt & tie take less up room than a sweater.

On our recent CB Caribbean 9 day cruise with two formal nights most pax were dressed for a special occasion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were over 3000 + pax on board. My men wore their tuxedos and found it easier to pack the tux and then just wear their casual dockers, sport shirts etc. on the other nights. The ladies mostly wore dressy pants suits, cocktail dresses and the little black dresses with nice jewelry & shoes. I didn't see any ball gowns but many ladies had on long dresses not necessarily evening gowns & the majority of the men that didn't wear a tuxedo were dressed with nice slacks, jacket and tie.

The nice thing is that you can opt to go to the other venues for a more casual evening if you prefer not to dress up but it is fun to see everyone decked out and it adds to the ambiance of the whole cruise experience for many of us.

We will be on Princess in Alaska in about a week. We will dress for Formal Nights.

My DH will wear a dark suit with tie. There are two (2) Formal Nights on the cruise.

We are planning to pack lighter than we have on past cruises. Past cruises had three different type dress codes. There was a casual night, semi-casual (men were requested to wear sport coat) and Formal. Had to travel with more clothing.

I enjoy Formal Evenings.

Hi there. I just asked this same question over on the Cruise Fashions board, a few days ago. We're trying to keep the packing & luggage to a minimum, and don't want to have to pack a garment bag for DH's suit. We'll be on the Diamond Princess in just over a week. DH is thinking of wearing a shirt & tie, nice pants, but no jacket (he doesn't have one that fits since he lost 90 pounds recently...)

Would he feel out of place without a jacket or a suit? Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Mary Ellen

Please take a look at the sticky post about a "hiatus on ..." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018191

Look at post #4 that gives the results of a recent poll of Cruise Critic people about what they wear.

He would be among only ~6.4% of the population polled if he came without jacket or suit. Make your own decisions on how he might feel.

Okay, we are packing now and want to ask one last time...(please don't shoot me) what are people wearing on formal nights on the princess to alaska. I think the fact that it is to ALASKA is important to note! Just spoke to a friend who said that EVERYTHING was informal. We are really trying to pack light and would love to eliminate my husband's suit. Would a nice shirt with a sweater and nice slacks suffice on the formal nights? We don't want to "stick out", on the other hand, we are going for a relaxing, fun vacation and certainly don't want to stress about clothing. You can tell this is our first cruise. Would particularly like to hear from folks who have been on an Alaskan cruise... Thanks in advance...

If you don't want to pack appropriate clothing,then avoid formal nights all together!

Hi there. Although I wasn't the OP, I really appreciated all the responses & recommendations on this thread. Based on your advice, I went out & bought DH a smart-looking navy blazer yesterday, which he'll wear with dark pants, shirt & tie.

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

Thanks again to everyone for the input. I must say that I was a bit taken aback by some of the responses and their intensity. This is my first cruise and first time using this board. Obviously most people are very helpful. Those of you who just want to criticize need to find another venue. It is not helpful at all to those of us who are new to this.

My husband wore a tux and I wore fancy cocktail dresses. He rented his tux and it was delivered on board. In the future, though, I think that he will buy a tux. He found that he really liked wearing it (surprising!)

Our tablemate wore a sport coat, slacks, and an open-necked plaid shirt. He looked great too (though not as terrific as my DH, but I may be a bit biased!)

Archived