Charging Double to a single traveler

They should then charge a single room charge, not a per person charge like they do at hotels. I feel like I am paying for two people and I am one person sailing. I know that at Atlantis in Nassau, they charge person as well. You can get great deals if you are a couple, but if you are a single person, you pay double. The advertised rates to me are note truly accurate as a single person. I understand all of your rationales and I know things are tight to the point they no longer give out chocolates. I do not choose to research other companies because I RCCL. When you stay at a hotel, you pay for the room, not per person. I will still continue to cruise on RCCL, because to me, they have the best ships in the industry.

While I love the idea of single cabins, I don't see it happening. It would be nice if they would at least offer the double cabins at a special rate of 150% on cruises that aren't full. I do understand that having singles impacts potential revenue and can't really blame them.

Unfortunately, the world is geared towards couples and families. I don't use the "buy one get one" coupons at resturants, I have no need to buy in bulk so discount warehouses aren't really helpful, if I buy any prepackaged fruit or produce I have to freeze quickly or it goes to waste etc. Hmmmm I wonder why so many people out there feel like they have to be part of a couple to have a say in this world?? (For the record, I do understand the economic principles and would rather be happily single than miserable with a free sandwich :p)

They are already doing this. They sometimes do offer reduced single rates.

They should then charge a single room charge, not a per person charge like they do at hotels. I feel like I am paying for two people and I am one person sailing. I know that at Atlantis in Nassau, they charge person as well. You can get great deals if you are a couple, but if you are a single person, you pay double. The advertised rates to me are note truly accurate as a single person. I understand all of your rationales and I know things are tight to the point they no longer give out chocolates. I do not choose to research other companies because I RCCL. When you stay at a hotel, you pay for the room, not per person. I will still continue to cruise on RCCL, because to me, they have the best ships in the industry.

It's exactly the same on a cruise as a hotel, you pay for the room. It costs the same if there is one or 2 people in it just like a hotel.

Does anyone know?

Which cruise lines do offer single fares?

I might be wrong, but i don't think any of the mainstream lines offer it...

Are you asking for generally offering them, or as specials?

I think all the mainstream cruise lines have reduced single rates from time to time for certain cruises. I know for sure RCI does this as part of their Sales from time to time.

Are you asking for generally offering them, or as specials?

I think all the mainstream cruise lines have reduced single rates from time to time for certain cruises. I know for sure RCI does this as part of their Sales from time to time.

As general, which lines can you book a single fare whenever you want to?

I can understand why even the mainstream lines give discounts for single guests IF THE SHIP IS NOT FULLY BOOKED. That is the only leg that a cruise line can stand on for not having single fares.

If a single cruiser would be complaining about it being EXPENSIVE due to the fact that he/she/handicapped or not needs to pay double the fare, I would imagine that they would'nt really go for a suite.

I guess it's taking the point too far...

I think single cruisers should be very happy if they even get one type of "single cabin" in the future...

In my opinion some people are a bit too sensitive, and re-fill their flame throwers with gas way too quickly.

So as a single cruiser I need to be happy to get an inside offered?

Why should I not complain about high single rates and still love to be in a suite? It would be way easier to afford a suite if I wouldn´t have to pay double rate for it.

To make myself clear, as I already said in my first post of this thread. I would like to see reduced rates for myself as a single cruiser, but I don´t think it´s something I will ever see and I fully understand why it´s not offered. I have to budget my vacatoin money and still single or not I would not cruise in an inside and at this point it´s balcony at least, preferable suites.

However one point I´m serious about and that´s the handicapped cabins. This would be an issue.

As general, which lines can you book a single fare whenever you want to?

I can understand why even the mainstream lines give discounts for single guests IF THE SHIP IS NOT FULLY BOOKED. That is the only leg that a cruise line can stand on for not having single fares.

I don´t know. I know that Cunards QE2 used to have single cabins, but then it is debatable if they are mainstream. ;)

The advertised rates are per person, not per room. That is my point which some of you are not getting. If there was one rate per room, not person, I can easily take that. I am paying for two people, not one. As far as the Crown and Anchor, I should get double credit since I am paying double. That didn't accure to me. That is a good point. My Oasis cruise is costing my $3200 for a very nice D1 room on the 12th deck, not $1600 or even $2400. That is huge difference. All these great cheap deals on 4-day cruises, cost me double. For some reason, it just doesn't seem fair. I will pay, but it just, doesn't seem fair.

The advertised rates are per person, not per room. That is my point which some of you are not getting. If there was one rate per room, not person, I can easily take that. I am paying for two people, not one. As far as the Crown and Anchor, I should get double credit since I am paying double. That didn't accure to me. That is a good point. My Oasis cruise is costing my $3200 for a very nice D1 room on the 12th deck, not $1600 or even $2400. That is huge difference. All these great cheap deals on 4-day cruises, cost me double. For some reason, it just doesn't seem fair. I will pay, but it just, doesn't seem fair.

I get what you are saying, but I don´t see the problem. To me it doesn´t matter if they say $2000 per room or if they say $1000 per person based on double occupancy. The bottom line is I will still pay $2000 for the room regardless if 1 or 2 people occupy the room. You object the wording, ok, but what difference does it make:confused:

I know when I took my first Carnival Cruise back in '85 I was a 'single'....but I booked through a company called Singleworld that specialized in travel arrangements for single folks.

I only had to pay the rate for one person and was told that I'd get a same-sex roommate for the trip, but would not meet her until day of embarkation. They guaranteed that if I did not have a roommate (if, say, there was not an 'even' number of women who booked that cruise) and had to sail solo in the stateroom that I would NOT pay the single supplement.

It actually was a fabulous way to book. We had a 'meet and greet' the first day (all those booked through Singleworld) so we had a chance to meet other unattached folks on board. They had special excursions we could sign up for too.

I ended up with a very nice roommate for the trip, although most of the week we really only saw each other at dinner and when getting ready to sleep. It worked out great and I saved the supplement.

Then charge per room, not per person, and making them pay double.

That´s what they are doing. The cabin cost exactly the same money regardless if one or two people occupy it. The only difference is fees and taxes. They are charged only pre passenger cruising, which perfectly indicates that they are not charging double, but actually charging for the room (regardless if one or two cruisers in there) and then adding on the per person charges.

But I think you have set your mind on this as much as I don´t understand what difference the wording makes to you when the bottom line is the same.

That's discrimination against a particular type of cruiser. All cruisers should be treated equally. Is the point to discourage single cruisers? Why is it that one has to cruise as a twosome? I cruise alone because my friends don't like cruises or can't get off at the same time I can. So my penalty is to pay twice the amount to take the same vacation couples or families pay. Hotels don't penalize a single person, airlines don't penalize a single person. What's the deal?

Team up. Would want to stay with someone you don't know in a cabin? I doubt it.

Sorry, it is not discrimination in a legal sense. It is simply a matter of market preferences.

I know when I took my first Carnival Cruise back in '85 I was a 'single'....but I booked through a company called Singleworld that specialized in travel arrangements for single folks.

I only had to pay the rate for one person and was told that I'd get a same-sex roommate for the trip, but would not meet her until day of embarkation. They guaranteed that if I did not have a roommate (if, say, there was not an 'even' number of women who booked that cruise) and had to sail solo in the stateroom that I would NOT pay the single supplement.

It actually was a fabulous way to book. We had a 'meet and greet' the first day (all those booked through Singleworld) so we had a chance to meet other unattached folks on board. They had special excursions we could sign up for too.

I ended up with a very nice roommate for the trip, although most of the week we really only saw each other at dinner and when getting ready to sleep. It worked out great and I saved the supplement.

I seem to recall that Carnival published share fares back in the early 90's. i seem to recall they were trying to put 4 in a cabin. i believe i saw that they will also include single cabins on some of their new builds. my wife sailed solo on NCL to Bermuda and did not pay a supplement, but that was several years ago. her last trip as a solo on the Glory was at 150%. i don't agree with the need to give double C&A credit, because in reality, couples only get one credit when they travel together anyway. the one thing that is a travesty is pre-paid gratuities were offered from our travel agent, but my wife only received one set, not two. i also don't think the price is truly 200% anyway, as you don't pay double on the port charges.

wow, that was long post

They are already doing this. They sometimes do offer reduced single rates.

I did a quick look and this is true. On my next cruise you can tell it's no where near full and the price of a single is less than 140%.

That's discrimination against a particular type of cruiser. All cruisers should be treated equally. Is the point to discourage single cruisers? Why is it that one has to cruise as a twosome? I cruise alone because my friends don't like cruises or can't get off at the same time I can. So my penalty is to pay twice the amount to take the same vacation couples or families pay. Hotels don't penalize a single person, airlines don't penalize a single person. What's the deal?

At most hotels you pay the same whether you are 1 or 2. I'd call that double if you are a single traveler.. Cruiselines just happen to charge per person rather than a set price for double occupancy.

And for your information, when you book a single, you are not paying double. You don't have to pay taxes and port fees which can be quite substantial.

Not really, it may be advertised that way because usually there are 2 to a room. In reality the actual fare is per room whether there is 1 person or 2. It is the same as a hotel, most rooms are priced based on double occupency. If one person books a hotel room, they pay the same as if 2 were booking it.

I don´t see any discrimination against single cruisers, we pay for a cabin just as couples do. We get the same amount of cabin space, but have it to ourselves instead of sharing it with two people. Hotels do exactly the same. You pay for the room. It´s the same price if you stay in the room as a single or with two people. Where´s the difference?

At least that´s the case in the US. Over here the Hotels provide single rooms, they are mostly considerable smaller but you pay a lower rate.

With airlines you only get a single seat, so that´s not a good comparison IMO.

In Vegas where I live, it's a room rate whether it's one or two people. I agree that a single traveller should get points or rewards based on the price of the cabin selected and not be penalized because they are travelling solo.

I don´t see any discrimination against single cruisers, we pay for a cabin just as couples do. We get the same amount of cabin space, but have it to ourselves instead of sharing it with two people. Hotels do exactly the same. You pay for the room. It´s the same price if you stay in the room as a single or with two people. Where´s the difference?

At least that´s the case in the US. Over here the Hotels provide single rooms, they are mostly considerable smaller but you pay a lower rate.

With airlines you only get a single seat, so that´s not a good comparison IMO.

I agree, and of course it's basically the bottom line the cruiseline is looking at. And not just for double the drinks and shore excursions. Just think if two friends (or sisters or whomever) booked a cruise that cost $1,000 per person cruisefare, based on double occupancy. One cabin would cost $2,000 for two... but if they each booked their own cabin (and Why Not?), without a single supplement the cost would be $1,000 per cabin. That's half the revenue already.

I am starting this tread here because I that Royal Caribbean moniters what happens here.

I've been cruising on RCI for a few years now and pay double. I love the cruise line. I can see charging a 50% surcharge because of double occupancy on the room, but I do not eat for two people, one take one chair at the pool and one seat in all the other venues. For me, it is very expensive to cruise. It would be wonderful if you all would change the way you charge and we would have more money to spend once on board. I think it is unfair that I am paying double. This is no way a slam against the cruise line, burt against the pricing policy. I hope you would take this under consideration and make us single travelers much happier cruisers. I do take up the cruise line every chance I get and in fact is proud of the cruise line. I could almost work in sales for you guys.

Thanks for listening to me.

Once you reach 50 cruises you get 150% for single. Except in July and August.

I am starting this tread here because I that Royal Caribbean moniters what happens here.

I've been cruising on RCI for a few years now and pay double. I love the cruise line. I can see charging a 50% surcharge because of double occupancy on the room, but I do not eat for two people, one take one chair at the pool and one seat in all the other venues. For me, it is very expensive to cruise. It would be wonderful if you all would change the way you charge and we would have more money to spend once on board. I think it is unfair that I am paying double. This is no way a slam against the cruise line, burt against the pricing policy. I hope you would take this under consideration and make us single travelers much happier cruisers. I do take up the cruise line every chance I get and in fact is proud of the cruise line. I could almost work in sales for you guys.

Thanks for listening to me.

Why do they do what they do? Why do they charge the same for a 3rd or 4th passenger regardless of age? I think its unfair that a 2 yr old is chrged the same 3rd person rate as if someone had a 16 yo in their cabin as a 3rd passenger, or even a third adult. But its life and companies are going to do what they want until ppl go elsewhere, which is highly unlikely.

One reason they charge double is that as a single, you purchase 1/2 as many drinks, 1/2 the amount in the shops, 1/2 the bingo cards, 1/2 the tips, etc. About 1/3 of the cruiselines income is from "extras", so they lose all that extra income when you travel as a single.

I'm a solo traveler. Even if I traveled with someone, it wouldn't change the fact I don't do bingo nor do I shop in the shops (port shops are different story) so this explanation does not resonate with me.

But I do understand business plans and business models. They set their pricing structure on maximum occupancy. If you are taking up a cabin that has an ROI based on two people, you have to pay for the second person. I get it...I don't like it, but I get it. :p

Archived