Rome DIY - amount of time at each site?

AndyB

Hi all!

Just a note that if you do want to do Castle St. Angelo, they're are closed Monday's. We wanted to see this as we are not doing the Vatican and when I checked it out, that's what I found out. Of course we're there on a Monday so it looks like that'll have to be saved for another time. I'm sure we can find something else to do. :rolleyes:

Hello,

thank you all for sharing your experiences with us newbies!

We are doing Rome by ourselves as well, and I had only one question (for those who were just there not so long ago)- when does the last port shuttle (from port entrance to the ship) leave? We are leaving Rome at 8 pm, but am worried that the shuttle runs only through 5 pm (like someone from my rollcall suggested)- which would be a great waste of time. Is there any way that we can check the shuttle schedule?

Thank you again!

We were at Civitivecchia on January 30. The last shuttle was advertised to be leaving at 7 pm from the port entrance back to the ship. (We were the only ship in port). The shuttle ACTUALLY left at about 6:55. I know because we arrived at 6:59 and it was already gone! Our train back from Rome had a delay and there were probably a hundred or more of us stranded in the rain at the port entrance. Some folks started walking (about 2 miles to the ship). Eight of us took a cab. The driver ripped us all off for €20 for the 2 mile ride, but what could we do, and it was only €5 for DH and I so we took the cab ride. When we got to the ship we told the NCL folks what had happened and that there were people walking, plus a whole bunch still back at the port entrance because of the train delay. They did figure out a way to pick those folks up and the ship set sail, as scheduled, at 8pm.

Well, if you are traveling with Mr. Military History, as I must, you eat a nice breakfast on board, and then take one or two granola bars with you on certain intense sightseeing days. (Yes, I take them with me to Europe.) I still remember sitting in the Agora in Athens last September just below the Temple of Hephastus eating my granola bar and drinking from my water bottle and doing the same thing in Pompeii in June, where the snack bar is closed this year for renovations. (But we had great pizza late lunch in Sorrento at 5 PM that same day!)

Of course, in Rome there always are quick gelato opportunities.

Hahaha! My wife packed at least SIX boxes of granola bars for our recent trip! :D

Hi all!

Just a note that if you do want to do Castle St. Angelo, they're are closed Monday's. We wanted to see this as we are not doing the Vatican and when I checked it out, that's what I found out. Of course we're there on a Monday so it looks like that'll have to be saved for another time. I'm sure we can find something else to do. :rolleyes:

Just remember that many or most museums in Roma (and Italy in general) are closed on Mondays (e.g. Gallerie Borghese, Capitoline Museums, etc.) so I would find out what is open and closed before arriving.

Just remember that many or most museums in Roma (and Italy in general) are closed on Mondays (e.g. Gallerie Borghese, Capitoline Museums, etc.) so I would find out what is open and closed before arriving.

Yeah, I know, that seems to be the trend. Luckily that was the only museum type place we were thinking about going to. Well, that and the museum in Athens. Guess we'll just have to go back! :)

We were at Civitivecchia on January 30. The last shuttle was advertised to be leaving at 7 pm from the port entrance back to the ship. (We were the only ship in port). The shuttle ACTUALLY left at about 6:55. I know because we arrived at 6:59 and it was already gone! Our train back from Rome had a delay and there were probably a hundred or more of us stranded in the rain at the port entrance. Some folks started walking (about 2 miles to the ship). Eight of us took a cab. The driver ripped us all off for €20 for the 2 mile ride, but what could we do, and it was only €5 for DH and I so we took the cab ride. When we got to the ship we told the NCL folks what had happened and that there were people walking, plus a whole bunch still back at the port entrance because of the train delay. They did figure out a way to pick those folks up and the ship set sail, as scheduled, at 8pm.

Aren't you wonderful. Thank you so much for the info!

Our train back from Rome had a delay and there were probably a hundred or more of us stranded in the rain at the port entrance. Some folks started walking (about 2 miles to the ship). Eight of us took a cab. The driver ripped us all off for €20 for the 2 mile ride, but what could we do, and it was only €5 for DH and I so we took the cab ride.

We found that sometimes taxis are expensive in Italy, esp from port :eek:

Taxi from port to train station in Livorno, €22 (paid €11 with another couple)

Taxi from port in Venice to train station, €30! - with another 2 people who also paid €30 - but that was with suitcases, so... And they were Italians, so it wasn't an American tourist thing.:cool: It was about a one mile ride, it seemed, but the ship transfers were almost that much, and they only took you about a mile & a half to Ple Roma.:rolleyes:

Taxi from port in Venice to train station, €30! - with another 2 people who also paid €30 - but that was with suitcases, so... And they were Italians, so it wasn't an American tourist thing.:cool: It was about a one mile ride, it seemed, but the ship transfers were almost that much, and they only took you about a mile & a half to Ple Roma.:rolleyes:

We found taxis in Roma are metered and pretty reasonable. It only cost about 5-7 Euros to get between most sights in Roma. Well worth it if it's very hot and you don't have alot of walking stamina! :)

We found taxis in Roma are metered and pretty reasonable. It only cost about 5-7 Euros to get between most sights in Roma. Well worth it if it's very hot and you don't have alot of walking stamina! :)

I think it's the "rogue" taxis that hang around port and look to transport folks from port to train station, etc. that are off-meter and looking to make a few euro. The official taxis in Rome (you must go to a taxi stand to get one) are generally pretty reasonable.........although you will find a few bad apples in any bunch.

Catching a cab from Termini seems to be where most of the rip-offs in Rome occur, mainly due to meters being switched to night-time (higher) rates during daytime hours.

• 8 months later...

So, eight months later . . . I have some notes on how we did against our original schedule - many thanks to all those who gave their tips and advice. And I hope this will help someone else trying to do a similar sightseeing day. (Zeppysky - you asked about this on another board, but I thought it better to respond here where more people may benefit from it).

So this was the original plan . . .

Start End Dur. Desc.

7:00 8:00 1:00 Get off ship, shuttle to port entrance, walk to train station

8:00 9:20 1:20 Train to Roma (7:59) - next is 8:41

9:20 9:30 0:10 Termini (or Ostiense) to Colosseum

9:30 10:30 1:00 Colosseum

10:30 11:00 0:30 Forum

11:00 11:05 0:05 Taxi to Trevi Fountain

11:05 11:20 0:15 Trevi Fountain

11:20 11:35 0:15 Walk to Pantheon

11:35 12:05 0:30 Pantheon

12:05 12:15 0:10 Walk to Piazza Navona

12:15 12:45 0:30 Piazza Navona

12:45 13:00 0:15 Taxi to St. Peter's Square

13:00 15:00 2:00 St. Peter's / Vatican tour

15:00 15:15 0:15 Taxi to train station (San Pietro?)

15:39 16:57 1:30 Train to Civitavecchia (15:39)

Pretty sure we caught the earliest train, but 8:40 at the latest.

BIRG tickets - if you want to get them at the newsstand, you must pay cash. We had to buy at the ticket line, but it was very quick.

Got off at Ostiense and made it to the Colosseum in no time.

Here again we were unprepared with enough cash, so didn't get into the Colosseum. I was pretty upset at screwing up the itinerary right off the bat, so it wasn't a great omen for our day. But we took some nice exterior shots and moved on with the schedule.

Walked towards the Trevi Fountain, stopping at Trajan's Column and the "other" forum (Trajan's). Snack break there - it was already getting pretty warm (this was mid-October).

Trevi Fountain was packed with people and not much of a sight (as someone here mentioned), but we did throw our coins in, and had a gelato/lunch stop nearby. Then walked to the Pantheon.

The Pantheon was fantastic - I highly recommend it for the history, the architecture and the sheer beauty. By the time we left here it was getting a bit late (I want to say, 1:30 or so), and we knew we needed to allow plenty of time for the St. Peter's/Vatican/Sistine Chapel. So we skipped Piazza Navona and took a taxi to the Vatican Museums.

This taxi ride was much more expensive than I've seen mentioned here, so we may have been ripped off, but I don't think we would have gotten to the Vatican in time to enjoy anything by walking. As it was, we still fairly sprinted through the museums to get to the Sistine Chapel, and spent a good bit of time in there. Slipped through the "back door" with a tour group to go straight to St. Peter's Basilica.

St. Peter's Square was littered with chairs, as the Papal Address was that morning - not the best photo op - but it's still an amazing square. We ended up walking to the train station from there - facing away from the Basilica we exited to the right of the square and followed some signs until they stopped, then asked directions and got back on the right track.

The train ride back was standing room only. DH stood the entire time; DS and I got seats about mid-way back when some people got off. Sorry that I don't remember exactly which train, but I think it was close to our original schedule, maybe a bit later. But everybody had the same idea. I saw lots of Celebrity and HAL bags on the train!

So, to re-cap - what I learned:

• Make sure you have plenty of cash!
  • It's possible to do 4-5 sites in a day, but you are very rushed to try to do it! If you have the time, probably better to Vatican in a day, ancient Rome another day.
  • Favorite site - the Pantheon.
  • Gelato makes everything better!

Would I DIY again? Absolutely!

So, eight months later . . . I have some notes on how we did against our original schedule - many thanks to all those who gave their tips and advice. And I hope this will help someone else trying to do a similar sightseeing day. (Zeppysky - you asked about this on another board, but I thought it better to respond here where more people may benefit from it).

So this was the original plan . . .

Start End Dur. Desc.

7:00 8:00 1:00 Get off ship, shuttle to port entrance, walk to train station

8:00 9:20 1:20 Train to Roma (7:59) - next is 8:41

9:20 9:30 0:10 Termini (or Ostiense) to Colosseum

9:30 10:30 1:00 Colosseum

10:30 11:00 0:30 Forum

11:00 11:05 0:05 Taxi to Trevi Fountain

11:05 11:20 0:15 Trevi Fountain

11:20 11:35 0:15 Walk to Pantheon

11:35 12:05 0:30 Pantheon

12:05 12:15 0:10 Walk to Piazza Navona

12:15 12:45 0:30 Piazza Navona

12:45 13:00 0:15 Taxi to St. Peter's Square

13:00 15:00 2:00 St. Peter's / Vatican tour

15:00 15:15 0:15 Taxi to train station (San Pietro?)

15:39 16:57 1:30 Train to Civitavecchia (15:39)

Pretty sure we caught the earliest train, but 8:40 at the latest.

BIRG tickets - if you want to get them at the newsstand, you must pay cash. We had to buy at the ticket line, but it was very quick.

Got off at Ostiense and made it to the Colosseum in no time.

Here again we were unprepared with enough cash, so didn't get into the Colosseum. I was pretty upset at screwing up the itinerary right off the bat, so it wasn't a great omen for our day. But we took some nice exterior shots and moved on with the schedule.

Walked towards the Trevi Fountain, stopping at Trajan's Column and the "other" forum (Trajan's). Snack break there - it was already getting pretty warm (this was mid-October).

Trevi Fountain was packed with people and not much of a sight (as someone here mentioned), but we did throw our coins in, and had a gelato/lunch stop nearby. Then walked to the Pantheon.

The Pantheon was fantastic - I highly recommend it for the history, the architecture and the sheer beauty. By the time we left here it was getting a bit late (I want to say, 1:30 or so), and we knew we needed to allow plenty of time for the St. Peter's/Vatican/Sistine Chapel. So we skipped Piazza Navona and took a taxi to the Vatican Museums.

This taxi ride was much more expensive than I've seen mentioned here, so we may have been ripped off, but I don't think we would have gotten to the Vatican in time to enjoy anything by walking. As it was, we still fairly sprinted through the museums to get to the Sistine Chapel, and spent a good bit of time in there. Slipped through the "back door" with a tour group to go straight to St. Peter's Basilica.

St. Peter's Square was littered with chairs, as the Papal Address was that morning - not the best photo op - but it's still an amazing square. We ended up walking to the train station from there - facing away from the Basilica we exited to the right of the square and followed some signs until they stopped, then asked directions and got back on the right track.

The train ride back was standing room only. DH stood the entire time; DS and I got seats about mid-way back when some people got off. Sorry that I don't remember exactly which train, but I think it was close to our original schedule, maybe a bit later. But everybody had the same idea. I saw lots of Celebrity and HAL bags on the train!

So, to re-cap - what I learned:

• Make sure you have plenty of cash!
  • It's possible to do 4-5 sites in a day, but you are very rushed to try to do it! If you have the time, probably better to Vatican in a day, ancient Rome another day.
  • Favorite site - the Pantheon.
  • Gelato makes everything better!

Would I DIY again? Absolutely!

Thanks for posting your experience. The Pantheon is wonderful, isn't it? Probably my favorite building in the world....

• 1 month later...
I don't know of any way to buy a BIRG in advance unless you are in Lazio (the region Rome is in). It only takes a moment to buy if you go directly the the newsstand - he sells them all morning long and knows exactly what you need. It costs 9 Euro - have the cash ready in the right amount and you'll be on the track only moments after entering the station.

EC,

Where exactly is this newstand with the BIRG tickets?

Another question, can we walk the whole way from the ship or must we wait for the shuttle?

Thanks,

Kirk

I don't think they'll stop you if you want to walk from the ship, whether or not you'll want to will depend on how far out your ship is berthed.

To get to the newstand, walk through the main room of the station toward the tracks, you'll see the newstand on the right toward the back of the building. It's a small place, you can't miss it.

You don't need to speak Italian at all, he sells those BIRG tickets to cruise passengers every day of his working life.

Thanks once again for your help. I have a 9:30 Vatican reservation so I need to catch either the 7:33 or 7:59 trains. After reading some post about folks not making either one I was starting to get a little worried.

Kirk

Archived