Sugar free desserts on Golden Princess?

jerseysmom

We love the variety of sugar free desserts on RCI (since my husband is diabetic). There is always a good choice of cookies, pies, cakes and puddings. We sailed on Dawn Princess about 18 months ago and they gave us only vanilla pudding or vanilla ice cream. We usually had to ask for it special in the Horizon and wait several minutes for them to find it. We're sailing on Golden in Sept and just **hoping**:) that they offer more choices for sugar free. Anyone know??

We love the variety of sugar free desserts on RCI (since my husband is diabetic). There is always a good choice of cookies, pies, cakes and puddings. We sailed on Dawn Princess about 18 months ago and they gave us only vanilla pudding or vanilla ice cream. We usually had to ask for it special in the Horizon and wait several minutes for them to find it. We're sailing on Golden in Sept and just **hoping**:) that they offer more choices for sugar free. Anyone know??

Hmmmm... most ships I've been on have had a sugar-free dessert section in the Horizon Court. And there is usually at least one sugar-free dessert in the main dining rooms every night...

• 2 months later...

There wasn't much interest or info on this post when I originally asked about the sugar free desserts. We had a GREAT (!) time on Golden. There was always 1 dessert marked "sugar free" in the buffet as well as the dining room. When going thru the buffet I found to ask if there is anything else sugar free and there was always something else that they hadn't marked as SF. Some people won't eat it if it is marked sugar free b/c they think it will have that old aspartamene taste.

The SF desserts were always great and some of the yummy fancy kind too!

Thanks for doing the update. DH recently diagnosed with diabetes so a new concern/question for us. I remember seeing sugar free deserts on past cruises but since it didn't apply to us at time didn't pay a lot of attention but now we need it.

We were on the Grand last year, acutally this exact week, and they had a sugar free in the Horizon Court and we did anytime dining and they had a sugar free there also. My husband actually thought some of the sugar desserts were better than the regular ones!!

I was impressed with the selection of sugar free desserts in the dining room this summer on the Star. I expected mainly puddings, ice creams - easy desserts. More often than not, the sugar free option was cakes, tarts, pies, etc., all of which were very good. Princess does a nice job with these desserts.

Thanks for the info. Like Grandmato4's DH, I have recently "joined the club" as well. I mostly avoid dessert at restaurants, so it's good to know there will be good things available on board.

I have been 'in the club' for 15 years, admittadly it can be very hard if controlled by diet alone but if your condition is well controlled the occasional treat is quite acceptable.

Beware of some sugar free food that contains sorbitol (mild laxitive), especially if also taking metformin, not going into detail but the result can be somewhat unpleasant!

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if they have sugar-free jello on the Golden Princess?

I'm a diet-controlled diabetic and in addition to avoiding sugar I don't do flour and related carbs, so sugar-free cakes and cookies are not something I can eat.

My favorite dessert at home is sugar-free jello and I was pleasantly surprised to find it offerred at every meal on our most recent cruise on the MSC Poesia.

I am also able to eat some fruits-mainly berries (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries), can't tolerate pineapple, apples, bananas at all.

Does anyone know if they have sugar-free jello on the Golden Princess?

I'm a diet-controlled diabetic and in addition to avoiding sugar I don't do flour and related carbs, so sugar-free cakes and cookies are not something I can eat.

My favorite dessert at home is sugar-free jello and I was pleasantly surprised to find it offerred at every meal on our most recent cruise on the MSC Poesia.

I am also able to eat some fruits-mainly berries (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries), can't tolerate pineapple, apples, bananas at all.

I don't remember seeing it but that's not to say that you couldn't ask for it at dinner to be made for you the next night -- if they have the makings, I'm sure they'll be happy to. The real reason I replied was to advise you that there is a bowl of berries that's really good: I'd guess you'd have to skip the whipped cream, which to me is the whole point of any fruit dessert -- or any dessert at all, really!, but the berries themselves are really good, too.

• 3 months later...

We've returned from our cruise on the Golden Princess and I just wanted to update for anyone who's interested. There are sugarfree desserts offerred both in the Horizon Court and in the dining rooms. However, most of them are things like a triple layer torte with miltiple cake layers which, for those who low-carb, means that you can eat the filling/icing only. They do serve a wonderful SF Mango cheesecake as well as a couple of SF Mousse things (chocolate and something else), and a great chocolate crepe, but these are usually available only once each in the dining rooms. However, if you ask the Maitre 'd (in the dining room only-the one is Horizon Court is not nice at all) he may be willing to save a few for you. They denied having SF jello, but served it with some cherries and a creamy filling on one occassion, so they must have found some somewhere. Fruits available are watermelon, canteloupe, banana, pineapple, apricots (canned), grapefruit, fruitcocktail and pears (both canned), papaya and mango (fresh), no berries at all and no grapes until the last day on the buffet (but they do have grapes in the galley and they will give them to you if you're persistent).

In addition, they make a gazillion SF cupcakes with a dollop of SF topping. These are available all the time in the Horizon Court, but I'm betting the carb count is pretty high. This seems to be their favorite SF item.

As a diabetic, I've learned that "sugar-free" means very little. It's the carbohydrates that we must count, and in all of the sugar free desserts mentioned (except the SF Jello), the carb count is probably still quite high. I could have a bag of Skittles candy if I wanted to, but I'd have to count those carbs (and take a little protein with them to slow absorbtion).

Sugar-free may sound very well and good, but to diabetics (and everyone, really), it can sometimes mean a false sense of security if people think they can have as much as they want.

As a diabetic, I've learned that "sugar-free" means very little. It's the carbohydrates that we must count, and in all of the sugar free desserts mentioned (except the SF Jello), the carb count is probably still quite high. I could have a bag of Skittles candy if I wanted to, but I'd have to count those carbs (and take a little protein with them to slow absorbtion).

Sugar-free may sound very well and good, but to diabetics (and everyone, really), it can sometimes mean a false sense of security if people think they can have as much as they want.

I totally agree. However, the fillings in most of these desserts seemed to be nothing more than whipping cream and artificial sweetener with a bit of flavoring or cocoa added. So, being willing to pick it apart and eat the filling, I fared well. My BS stayed low and stable for two weeks, so I think I chose wisely.

... I fared well. My BS stayed low and stable for two weeks, so I think I chose wisely.

Sounds good. I was great on our recent Oasis of the Seas cruise too. I was a little concerned with all the choices I would face but ultimately, that's what saved me. I chose wisely, did not take bread with dinner, and instead had dessert if I wanted to. Oasis is a beast! Got my exercise in too! :D

I totally agree. However, the fillings in most of these desserts seemed to be nothing more than whipping cream and artificial sweetener with a bit of flavoring or cocoa added. So, being willing to pick it apart and eat the filling, I fared well. My BS stayed low and stable for two weeks, so I think I chose wisely.

I totally agree with both of you. I am now medicine free and doing it only by low-carbs. It is a shame how many diabetics are told that they can eat carbs.

I totally agree with both of you. I am now medicine free and doing it only by low-carbs. It is a shame how many diabetics are told that they can eat carbs.

My diabetes is diet controlled also. Low carb is particularly important in the control of Type 2 Diabetes and, unfortunately, most people (non-diabets) think that just means not eating sugar. When I spoke with the Maitre'd on the ship he had no idea that the flour in the SF cake would be a problem. . .

I am now medicine free and doing it only by low-carbs. It is a shame how many diabetics are told that they can eat carbs.

My diabetes is diet controlled also.

Yea! Congrats to both of you. I am on Metformin and one of the side effects is weight loss. :D Combined with my new lifestyle, diabetes education classes, reading labels, and choosing wisely, I have lost 47 pounds! Dr. cut my meds in half - perhaps one day I can be off it too. :)

You can eat wisely on a cruise. It absolutely can be done.

Archived