Almost-senior Excursions

D & D

We're finding it increasingly more difficult to find excursiions that are in that gray area between fast-paced and exhausting (riding ATV's, scuba diving), and those that are just plain boring (riding around a city in a bus). The majority of the excursions seem to be geared toward the younger crowd (we're 59). Does anyone else feel the same? :(

What is it you want to do?

We do some private tours & also just do our own tour at our own pace.

We are not beach people nor into zip lining

Everyone has different ideas on what is best for them

Herein lies the limitations....DH refuses to do anything outside the ship-sponsored excursions. For every good experience with an outside tour company, there's an equal number of bad experiences and he doesn't want to chance it. We're not into water sports or zip lining either. So what do you do, just walk around the port area, take a taxi into town, and if so, how do you know where to go and what to see?

Herein lies the limitations....DH refuses to do anything outside the ship-sponsored excursions. For every good experience with an outside tour company, there's an equal number of bad experiences and he doesn't want to chance it. We're not into water sports or zip lining either. So what do you do, just walk around the port area, take a taxi into town, and if so, how do you know where to go and what to see?

If you go to the ports section on this site, and then specifically to the ports you'll be going to, there are lots of discussions about where to go on your own. And if you join the roll call (also on this site) for your cruise, you may well find others who are also interested in not necessarily doing the ship excursions, but also finding activities to do.

If you do some research on the port you can see what there is there & what interests you.

We have had many good experiences with private tour guides & reading the PORTS of Call sections here you get many referrals of who to use .

We sometime just walk into town, sometime they have a tour from the dock area ..

Enjoy

Lyn

I don't understand either what you mean by the "gray area" excursions. On our next cruise, no excursion offered was of interest to me. I'm 67 and I'm looking forward to going parasailing :D; and it is not a cruise ship sponsored excursion. A group on our roll call plan to charter a 51 foot ketch for a sunset sail and it is not a cruise ship sponsored excursion. You're never too old to think young.

I've noticed lots of "combo" excursions offered by the cruiselines - a bit of touring, a bit of beach time - things like that. I generally avoid them because I'm not much of a "sit on the beach" person, but there seems to be a good variety of things to do. I like the kind of excursions that incorporate something of the local way of life and some kind of light activity. A perfect example is the Cozumel Amazing Race that Carnival offers.

We're 67; and, we've only done one "excursion" in ten cruises. We have a great time just doing our own thing,which does NOT mean signing up with tour operators off the dock. We just go into town and explore. Great fun, and good exercise. In Juneau, we (accidently) hiked to the top of the Tram and were forced to ride back down for free. In Puerta Vallarta we always take the local bus to the old plaza, walk up into the hills, and get a bite at a local restaurant. In Mazatlan we've walked to the old town, the cathedral, and have taken the Corona brewery tour all on our own, often seeing the "excursionistas" doing similar things, but we did them for free while seeing what the local people are up to. In Huatulco we hiked a couple of miles to the next cove from the dock, sat on the beach drinking a couple of adult beverages, and then negotiated with a local palapa guy to take us back to the cruise dock. Cost for the day..about ten bucks. And, we got some excercise while getting great views of the local area during our walk.

Take a chance..

We are two sisters who love to "cruise" & travel. We are "seniors" we have found sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is weak. Nonetheless, we try to keep going..We would love to zip line but my sisters back is very bad so we pick things that will accomodate folks with bad knees & backs. Last time in Tortola we did the lower priced tour visit with the dolphins and it was wonderful!!!

We did the semi-sub (we have done the Atlantis but too hard for sissy to transfer now) but the semi-sub is doable and very interesting. Hiking is out, but we can get around but must be careful, we still went on the walking tour Soufries and did fine steps and all. We aren't about to give up on having fun we walk as much as possible.

We love to go to the beaches and swim it is so relaxing for us. As I still am plugging along at a full time job, so the quite time is very welcome. What I can say about the "bus tours" is you learn so much about history & customs of the islands.

Do your homework and study the Princess Excursions online and really delve into them I know there are many nice tours and things do.

Thanks to all who replied. What I meant by "gray area" are the activities offered by the cruiselines. They seem, at least to me, to be either very active or very mundane. We have two situations here: DH doesn't trust anything other than ship-sponsored excursions, and DH also has a bad back and leg so that negates most of the active tours. I can go all day from beaches to ziplining and everything in between, but ...... well, you get the idea. In the meantime, I will take your advice and study the port cities/towns and see what we can do on our own. Again, thanks to all who replied and keep the advice and suggestions coming!

Are any of you going on NCL's Panama Canal on 1/2/10?

Denise

• 3 weeks later...
We are two sisters who love to "cruise" & travel. We are "seniors" we have found sometimes the spirit is willing but the body is weak. Nonetheless, we try to keep going..We would love to zip line but my sisters back is very bad so we pick things that will accomodate folks with bad knees & backs. Last time in Tortola we did the lower priced tour visit with the dolphins and it was wonderful!!!

We did the semi-sub (we have done the Atlantis but too hard for sissy to transfer now) but the semi-sub is doable and very interesting. Hiking is out, but we can get around but must be careful, we still went on the walking tour Soufries and did fine steps and all. We aren't about to give up on having fun we walk as much as possible.

We love to go to the beaches and swim it is so relaxing for us. As I still am plugging along at a full time job, so the quite time is very welcome. What I can say about the "bus tours" is you learn so much about history & customs of the islands.

Do your homework and study the Princess Excursions online and really delve into them I know there are many nice tours and things do.

Ditto. I live with my sister who is 49 and I am 59. One of the most fun excursions we ever took was in Mexico at Xcaret. They had underground rivers where you floated through caves. It turned out to be one of the most memorable days ever. I usually don't go to the beach or lay in the sun but this was incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

D&D - I understand what you are feeling because I (and my DH) are in the same frame of mind at times. If it is a new port and major city, we will consider a city tour and then hope to have time on our own in that city for a little walking around. Or, if an port has a lovely rural area, we might want a tour. We also prefer the ship sponsored tours; we have only done one private (and it was wonderful). But our upcoming Caribbean cruise in December is an example of either the beach scene or a higher level of activity. So we are not sure what we will do for any touring. It may be too humid, in fact, to do much wandering on our own. I just wanted you to know that I sometimes feel the same way you do about the shore offerings.

Alice

• 2 weeks later...

We seldom do "excursions"--I mean, I don't really care about the history, architecture or churches of the places we visit...we cruise for beautiful scenery and warm weather. I enjoy beaches and if it's avail., hubby will rent a waverunner or jetski and play for awhile!

A good guidebook will give you a better idea of what is in each place---then you can decide what (if anything) you want to do!

We aren't into snorkling, or zip-lining or water-fall climbing, either!

That's why I like cruises that involve lots of scenery and history. I am 62 and unfortuneatly not up to the parasailing type activities. I love to walk in historic areas and buildings and actually it is a lot of exercise climbing those stairs and walking cobblestone streets. I don't feel like a wimp at all and this is what I enjoy. I am not a beach person. I did a TA to Europe and a Baltic cruise and am now going to Quebec next week. I did only ship cruises in Europe because I was a lady traveling alone and felt more comfortable with that. The tour guides for the excursions were always locals and most were very interesting. So far, I don't know why people shun the ship tours but maybe some people have had a bad experience. Do what YOU enjoy!

Archived