How early do we REALLY have to arrive?

missyal

We have a 6 p.m. flight out of JFK on Open Skies to Paris on Monday, 9/21/09. We are told we should plan to arrive no later than 3 p.m. for check in. We already have seat assignments.

I'm thinking more like 3:30-4 p.m.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Missyal

What does the airline's T&C say about check-in times? There are a number of airlines/airports where if you haven't presented yourself by a certain time, your reservation may be canceled on the spot. Others where there is a minimum time for baggage to be processed. For example, DL/NW at various airports (SEA/DEN/LAS for example) requires luggage to be presented for checkin at least 45 minutes prior. From Istanbul, DL requires 3 hours and 15 minutes. From Moscow, 3 hours.

So, is there some reason why you think that they don't mean what they say?

So, is there some reason why you think that they don't mean what they say?

I don't have a "reason" other than we have been given conflicting info by the T/A, others that have flown on the same airline, various sources. I have never flown this airline before, they keep changing the fight times(and their name!), and I just want to be sure I do get there without cutting it close. I have taken international flights from JFK several times before and was always given a 2 hour window for arrival, so I was questioning the 3 hours.

Thank you both for the advice.

JFK can be a real zoo...i would get there early........

You're tarring all of JFK with the same brush.

Openskies is a small operation based out of Terminal 7 (one of the better terminals at JFK in my experience) and even if all passengers for the flight turned up at once it wouldn't be a big queue. Their flights only hold around 70 passengers. I wouldn't turn up 3hrs beforehand, that's extreme.

I don't have a "reason" other than we have been given conflicting info by the T/A, others that have flown on the same airline, various sources.
Conflicting info...if the airline says one thing, I would want to have a good reason or two or three to contradict that. Especially flying with an airline that will give you limited options if you aren't on board your ticketed flight. Is the "TA" knowledgeable about air, or is this a cruise focused TA?
I just want to be sure I do get there without cutting it close. I have taken international flights from JFK several times before and was always given a 2 hour window for arrival, so I was questioning the 3 hours.
Different airlines have different requirements and procedures. If you truly want to be sure without cutting it close, as you say, follow what the airline says is their minimum time and add on to that.

We are told we should plan to arrive no later than 3 p.m. for check in.
Who told you this?

The airline's website says this:-

Check in on time at the airport

It is important that you check in for your flight and get to the gate on time.

Check-in opens approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time and closes 50 minutes prior to departure time.

You must be in possession of a boarding pass and you must have dropped off your checked baggage before check-in for your flight closes, or you will not be allowed to board your flight.

Make sure that you allow enough time to pass through the necessary security checks at the airport to get to your gate on time.

Anyway, you might as well check-in online ahead of time:-
The smarter way to check in

Did you know that you can check in for your flight from your home or office computer? Online check in open 24 hours prior to your flight departure time. You can check in for your flight, even if you have baggage to check at the airport, saving precious time.

Check in at http://www.flyopenskies.com/os/manage

Choose your seat and see where it's located on the aircraft.

At the airport, go to the OpenSkies designated check-in desk to pick up your boarding pass.

Does checking in an hour earlier than necessary really make that much difference to your life?

What possible harm is there in getting to the airport earlier rather than later?

Do you really need to split hairs and be that fussy?

If they say 3, turn up at 3.

Thanks to all for your input. I appreciate constructive advice, but I do not appreciate the tone a few have taken. These boards are to ask for guidance and share advice. Some on this board make me regret posting the question. If you can't offer a comment without it being a snappy one, then don't. I am sorry if you don't like my comments, but I felt I needed to say something.

Missyal

I assume that I am one of those that you refer to.

I can only repeat the question that I posed:-

What possible harm is there in getting to the airport earlier rather than later?

I am happy to offer apologies if there is a valid reason (and yes your perception of valid may certainly be at odds with mine), however for my part, the first day of my holiday I always put aside for travelling, and for the life of me I cannot see what difference an hour makes in your life.

I can only repeat the question that I posed:-

I am happy to offer apologies if there is a valid reason (and yes your perception of valid may certainly be at odds with mine), however for my part, the first day of my holiday I always put aside for travelling, and for the life of me I cannot see what difference an hour makes in your life.

While I agree, that when leaving from home, that one extra hour makes no difference to me (though from my tiny airport, there is no reason to show up 3 hours before any flight - or even 2 hours early for that matter :p).

However, when I am leaving my vacation destination to return home, I arrive at the airport at the last possible moment that will ensure I make my flight. For international flights, that's typically only 2 hours ahead of time. That one extra hour CAN make a difference - it's one extra hour of touring and enjoying my holiday (which trust me, NEVER happens at an airport). I don't cut it too close but don't want to waste my vacation by sitting at an airport if it's not necessary...and I've never had a problem, nor ever regretted "only" showing up 2 hours ahead of time. Chances are, the flight will be delayed anyway and you'll have 3+ hours to kill:rolleyes: Worst case scenario? I miss my flight home and get a few extra hours of vacation :)

If they say 3, turn up at 3.
Again, I ask: Who's "they"?

"They" was not the airline. The airline says check-in doesn't even open until 2½ hours before the flight.

So why should the OP go earlier, just because some uninformed and lazy travel agent parrots the conventional arse-covering answer of "3 hours"?

While I agree, that when leaving from home, that one extra hour makes no difference to me (though from my tiny airport, there is no reason to show up 3 hours before any flight - or even 2 hours early for that matter :p).

However, when I am leaving my vacation destination to return home, I arrive at the airport at the last possible moment that will ensure I make my flight. For international flights, that's typically only 2 hours ahead of time. That one extra hour CAN make a difference - it's one extra hour of touring and enjoying my holiday (which trust me, NEVER happens at an airport). I don't cut it too close but don't want to waste my vacation by sitting at an airport if it's not necessary...and I've never had a problem, nor ever regretted "only" showing up 2 hours ahead of time. Chances are, the flight will be delayed anyway and you'll have 3+ hours to kill:rolleyes: Worst case scenario? I miss my flight home and get a few extra hours of vacation :)

Oh yes!!

100% with you on this one.

Returning home is a totally different thing.

I tend to visit Vegas frequently from London and last time had the pleasure of a Delta flight that left Mccarren at about 1145 at night (indirect via JFK). This meant we managed to squeeze every last minute of our break out of the holiday and we got a full last day in, no leaving our hotel until 9 o'clock at night.

I have shown up earlier many times. If you run the risk of getting lost, not finding a parking spot, long checkinlines, taxi driver gets lost, etc..... So maybe someone said 3 hours to to make sure that if some of the expected happened you would still be able to checkin 2 and 1/2 hours early.

I got ya beat..... I show up at this little terminal about a half hour before the flight. :p:p

My airport is also very small, but because of that, we still have to arrive quite early. The two people that are at the front counter to check in your luggage and give out boarding passes close that window a certain amount of time before the flight. So if you get there after they leave that counter you can't check luggage.

Once they leave the front counter, they're the ones working the gate making announcements and taking your boarding passes to get on the plane. You see them again because they wear the bright vests and ear protection to move the jetway back from the plane, remove the blocks they put under the wheels, and signal to the pilot with orange sticks.

Let's see....three Cessna 402s a day. I think I want THAT TSA inspector job.

I remember one time I flew out of there in March 2003, the first week the TSA inspectors went to work. There was a State Trooper there also who I knew through my job, to make sure no one gave the TSA a hard time.

I was flying down to VA to see my husband who was doing a two week annual training in Norfolk. He asked me to bring him some more underwear, so I had a dozen pairs of men's briefs in my suitcase. Of course since it was their first week they inspected my bags. :o

Gotta love living in a small town....

My airport is also very small, but because of that, we still have to arrive quite early. The two people that are at the front counter to check in your luggage and give out boarding passes close that window a certain amount of time before the flight. So if you get there after they leave that counter you can't check luggage.

Once they leave the front counter, they're the ones working the gate making announcements and taking your boarding passes to get on the plane. You see them again because they wear the bright vests and ear protection to move the jetway back from the plane, remove the blocks they put under the wheels, and signal to the pilot with orange sticks.

Our airport is so small they don't do announcements... everyone knows when the plane is there. We have three flights a day, all to and from BOS. The flights hold about fifteen people but usually have only 8 or so at the most.

I am not sure how the workers manage to run the counter, gate and the bags at the same time but with so few passengers I guess it is easier.

Archived