time they must of use all their

discount rooms up...never came up

a discount.

Chance you take..book early!

3 1/2 stars, you get Crowne Plaza or

DoubleTree. We've stayed at the

Crowne a few times, Nice and clean.

helpful staff.

I have a question for the Priceline experts, we are three in a group and want to share a room. Priceline does not give us the option of 3 people. Has anyone navigated thru this same situation with success and how did the hotel let you add the third person?

get 2 rooms.......call hotel ask for charge for extra bed/person, before you bid .......or try hotwire

get 2 rooms.......call hotel ask for charge for extra bed/person, before you bid .......or try hotwire

If you booked the room thru Priceline and added a third person to the room later, I wonder if it could be a roll away type bed. Pretty standard in most hotels!

I am a family of 4, DW, and two young kids. Need to stay in around san pedro for 3 nights before cruise in December. Crown is saying its 200 per night. any suggestions for a clean safe convient hotel in the immed. area

thanks john

I love the San Pedro area and all the revitalization happening there. I have some favorite restaurants there - love the strudel shop, the Greek restaurant, the Whale 'n Ale, and sitting at Acapulco's Mexican restaurant - drinking Margarita's and watching the ships sail by.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn once was okay (we're upgraded to their suite), but would only stay there again as a last resort. Stayed at the Crowne for our last trip - got it on Priceline for 65$ and we were upgraded to a suite (wonderful)!! I've never been upgraded any place else -- so maybe that's why I love San Pedro - two upgrades!!!

I can't wait for my Hawaiian 2011 cruise so I can visit San Pedro again!

Okay, I used Google Earth but I'm starting to think I'm wrong about the location of these hotels, is the Crowne Plaza located near the Princess terminal? For some reason I thought we'd see the ship from the Double Tree. We really enjoy watching the ship come in early morning with a cup of coffee, will we have a better view at the CP or the DT? Also, I am in the hotel industry and know how Priceline works, however, both hotels offer a "Park and Sail," package, both of them quote rates of over $150. So if I were to use Priceline and say I get the room at $65, what about keeping our car there for the duration of the cruise? Do we just tell them at check in, or will we be charged extra? I assume the rates available on Priceline are room rates only and do not include breakfast? A few of our family that we are travelling with do eat breakfast, where as the rest of us would rather just have our coffee. Sorry, that's a lot of questions!!! Thanks in advance for any information you can arm me with!:p

We had 2 balcony rooms with a view of the Marina. Everything and everyone was perfect!!! Rooms were lovely with top notch bedding. Drinks in the evening and wonderful buffet breakfast. Shuttle will take you anywhere within 5 miles. Lovely area to walk outside and stroll.

We ate at the Greek rest. and it was a hoot. Belly dancing and breaking plates. food was good.

A BIG THINK YOU TO DOUBLETREE!! My 89 year old mother left her purse in the front seat of the van on the morning we were leaving for the cruise. The driver brought it ringht back with all contents (lots of cash!!!).

BTW-To see the ship come in you would need to be up inc readably early in the morning. Not worth it to me.

LOL, well.... we're still like kids going to Disneyland that morning, by body begins to wake me up around 4am and about every 15 minutes after that, we'll order our coffee through room service and stare out the window to see her come in. Many would say we're nuts but its become a bit of a tradition for us. It doesn't take much to make us happy:D

Okay, I used Google Earth but I'm starting to think I'm wrong about the location of these hotels, is the Crowne Plaza located near the Princess terminal? For some reason I thought we'd see the ship from the Double Tree. We really enjoy watching the ship come in early morning with a cup of coffee, will we have a better view at the CP or the DT? Also, I am in the hotel industry and know how Priceline works, however, both hotels offer a "Park and Sail," package, both of them quote rates of over $150. So if I were to use Priceline and say I get the room at $65, what about keeping our car there for the duration of the cruise? Do we just tell them at check in, or will we be charged extra? I assume the rates available on Priceline are room rates only and do not include breakfast? A few of our family that we are travelling with do eat breakfast, where as the rest of us would rather just have our coffee. Sorry, that's a lot of questions!!! Thanks in advance for any information you can arm me with!:p

You can see your ship come in from the DTI but it is some distance away. The CP is much closer and has two flanks from where you can watch the ships...but the windows have sun film on them and they tend to look dirty. As for parking, you would probably get away for free at the DTI as they don't give out passes or ask for vechicle information...not so at the CP, they do charge $10 per day. The Priceline rates do not include breakfast but the packages generally do. However if you are going on a 14 day cruise and factor out the cost of parking at $10 to $12 a day, the cost of 2 breakfasts, and the bottle of wine, the room is almost free in the Stay, Park and Cruise packages.

You can see your ship come in from the DTI but it is some distance away. The CP is much closer and has two flanks from where you can watch the ships...but the windows have sun film on them and they tend to look dirty. As for parking, you would probably get away for free at the DTI as they don't give out passes or ask for vechicle information...not so at the CP, they do charge $10 per day. The Priceline rates do not include breakfast but the packages generally do. However if you are going on a 14 day cruise and factor out the cost of parking at $10 to $12 a day, the cost of 2 breakfasts, and the bottle of wine, the room is almost free in the Stay, Park and Cruise packages.

Well that is something to think about! Even then, I figure if we get the 2 rooms at $65 each, plus $140 for parking... it comes to about $270, whereas going straight through the hotel we'd be spending around $200 for the park and sail for 1 room and about $120 for the additional room, we'd still be paying more. This does give me a bit more to think about. I like that we'll be able to see the ship dock though. I found a hotel literally across of the ship, it was once the Best Western Sunrise, now its just the Sunrise Hotel, I called tonight and they don't offer room service, that was a deal breaker! But its in such a great location, I wish another hotel would take it over. But it sounds like the Crowne Plaza may be the place to go for us! Thanks so much!!! You've been a great help!

Well that is something to think about! Even then, I figure if we get the 2 rooms at $65 each, plus $140 for parking... it comes to about $270, whereas going straight through the hotel we'd be spending around $200 for the park and sail for 1 room and about $120 for the additional room, we'd still be paying more. This does give me a bit more to think about. I like that we'll be able to see the ship dock though. I found a hotel literally across of the ship, it was once the Best Western Sunrise, now its just the Sunrise Hotel, I called tonight and they don't offer room service, that was a deal breaker! But its in such a great location, I wish another hotel would take it over. But it sounds like the Crowne Plaza may be the place to go for us! Thanks so much!!! You've been a great help!

The Crowne is basically right across the street from the Sunrise. You'd probably have a better view from the Crowne anyway - as it is several stories high (about 8 - don't remember exactly) and the Sunrise is basically just a two story motel.

Can anyone tell me about the vagabond inn or Sunrise hotel. Are they clean and safe. Just looking for a place to sleep a few nights before the cruise w/ family and dont need it fancy.

John

DON'T stay at the Vagabond!!!!!!!!

Two years ago our flight arrived at about 10pm the night before the cruise and we figured why spend any money just to sleep and get up and leave. BIG MISTAKE! It was not clean and didn't feel so safe. We couldn't wait to leave.

When I realized we were spending thousands on the cruise and chose that to save $50 or so I felt really stupid.

I saw the Sunrise last year and the location is good but didn't go inside.

Hi John! Though I haven't stayed at the Sunrise, it didn't seem like the place I would be willing to stay, no in room coffee, no restaurant, no room service and for some reason the thought of bedbugs keeps coming to mind:p many years ago while staying at Disneyland, we stayed at one of the Vagabond Inn's and as I recall, it was actually fairly nice for the $$, it was much cheaper. You may also be interested in the Paseo Del Mar, its a nice B&B or the Sheraton, we have stayed at the sheraton, they offer free parking while you sail and have room service etc. plus the rooms were nice. They also offer a shuttle to and from the pier, complimentary. Its just a little set too set back from the cruise terminal and you can't see the ship come in, of course that's not very important to many, but we enjoy it :D

LOL, Okay per Chamima, that particular location is a no no! Oh my, the things we do to save money! Okay, well like I said, there's still the Sheraton and the Paseo Del Mar. We are now possibly thinking of staying on the Queen Mary, anyone ever stayed on her? We took a tour, but my mother has ALWAYS wanted to stay on the QM and take the midnight ghost tour, they only do it on Fridays, which just so happens to be the night we'll be staying. We'll still get to see the ship come in, if you walk all the way to the front of the QM you can see the path that the Princess ships take in San Pedro, so we'll just grab our coffee and throw some sweatshirts on to go watch, we'll be exausted from the midnight tour but that's okay. I looked at the rates, and their not bad, of course that means we'll also have to pay for parking at the pier:rolleyes:

NotWthOutablcony, you don't need to book the package to park at the Doubletree. We stayed there in April when going on a Panama Canal cruise and parked there for free for 20 days. I booked directly through the hotel and asked them if you needed to book the package. They said that wasn't necessary. You could book it through Priceline and still park for free for the entire length of your cruise.

We loved it. Nice location and nice to walk along the Marina.

NotWthOutablcony, you don't need to book the package to park at the Doubletree. We stayed there in April when going on a Panama Canal cruise and parked there for free for 20 days. I booked directly through the hotel and asked them if you needed to book the package. They said that wasn't necessary. You could book it through Priceline and still park for free for the entire length of your cruise.

We loved it. Nice location and nice to walk along the Marina.

They have a marina? We did enjoy that when we stayed in Long Beach, they had a nice little marina area, we walked along and looked at the fish swimming around the docks, watched the boats for a while, anything is still a possibility at this point! Were down to the 3 though, each offering its own draw, the DT, has room service, full breakfast etc. with a marina and is cheaper, plus free parking, the CP is located right where we could watch the ship pull in, plus room service etc. and then there's the QM, we'd have to walk to the front of the ship in the AM to see the ship, but could fulfill one of my mothers life long wishes, its a little bit more expensive and we'd have to pay for parking at the port. OYE! Decissions decissions!!!! Gee whiz, it may come down to drawing from a hat!

Well that is something to think about! Even then, I figure if we get the 2 rooms at $65 each, plus $140 for parking... it comes to about $270, whereas going straight through the hotel we'd be spending around $200 for the park and sail for 1 room and about $120 for the additional room, we'd still be paying more.

Book the "Park and Sail" through the Crowne Plaza, and then see if you can book a single room through Priceline. The only drawback could be that you may get the DoubleTree through Priceline. In that case book the "park and sail" through them.

DON'T stay at the Vagabond!!!!!!!!

Two years ago our flight arrived at about 10pm the night before the cruise and we figured why spend any money just to sleep and get up and leave. BIG MISTAKE! It was not clean and didn't feel so safe. We couldn't wait to leave.

When I realized we were spending thousands on the cruise and chose that to save $50 or so I felt really stupid.

I saw the Sunrise last year and the location is good but didn't go inside.

I stayed at the Vagabond Inn last Dec. I believe must be under new management since you stayed. We not only had a spotless spacious room, and the grounds were spotless also and it was absolutely safe. Mom my is the biggest worrier about being safe and she did not feel uncomfortable at all. They staff is very friendly.They have coffee and donuts in the morning and a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. I will be staying there again this December. It is right next door to the Holiday Inn Express.

Can anyone tell me about the vagabond inn or Sunrise hotel. Are they clean and safe. Just looking for a place to sleep a few nights before the cruise w/ family and dont need it fancy.

John

I have not stayed at either. The Vagabond is across the street from the Holiday Inn (were I have stayed) and further from the pier than the Sunrise. I'm sure either would be OK if you just want a place to sleep before the cruise. The area of the Vagabond is not that great -- never felt unsafe, but it just doesn't seem like the nicest area. For that matter all of San Pedro can have that feeling at night. During the day I'd have no problem walking anywhere in San Pedro by myself. At night, I would not want to go very far and would want to know exactly where I was going if I was by myself. Having said that, everyone has a different comfort level. Try checking out the review for each on sites like tripadvisor or travelpost.

Thank you to everyone for your information! I think we have decided to stay at the Double Tree and take the midnight tour on the Queen Mary, its not even a 12 minute drive from the DT, and we would be saving ourselves a huge hassle wiith parking etc. Hotels get complicated! Its hard to find the one where your going to get the most bang for your buck or the most "reasonable" as I consider it. Gone are the days where you could get a nice hotel room, in a nice hotel, for $50!

I previusly worked for Hilton Properties inc. and can't wait to have those warm chocolate chip cookies again!

Archived