Lobster in the dining room?

swdke

What dinner evening do the serve lobster in the dining room?

This all depends on the length of your cruise, but normally if there are two formal nights, lobster is served on the second formal night. (lots of exceptions to this rule, but it depends on how many formal nights on your particular cruise).

This all depends on the length of your cruise, but normally if there are two formal nights, lobster is served on the second formal night. (lots of exceptions to this rule, but it depends on how many formal nights on your particular cruise).

Thanks for your reply, I'll be on a 7 night New England/Canada cruise this October on the Caribbean Princess.

By the way, for a 7 night cruise, what nights are the formal nights? Thanks.

By the way, for a 7 night cruise, what nights are the formal nights? Thanks.

Normally, formal nights are held on sea days. If not enough sea days, then look to a short port day for one of them. I looked at your itinerary and I must say, I have no clue what nights will be formal nights for you, as they are usually not the last night onboard and I see that is your only day at sea. Hopefully, someone who has taken this cruise in the past will respond, as it doesn't fit the normal schedule with so many port days.

Normally, formal nights are held on sea days. If not enough sea days, then look to a short port day for one of them. I looked at your itinerary and I must say, I have no clue what nights will be formal nights for you, as they are usually not the last night onboard and I see that is your only day at sea. Hopefully, someone who has taken this cruise in the past will respond, as it doesn't fit the normal schedule with so many port days.

Thanks, we have only 1 sea day, the last night of the cruise.

We were on a seven-day Alaska curise this summer on the Golden and the 2 formal nights were Sunday night (2nd night) and Thursday night (6th night). Lobster was on Thursday night. In 2006, we were on the Grand for a seven-day cruise to the Caribbean and the formal nights (and Lobster) were on the same schedule. But, as others have said, I'm sure it depends on the number of days and the itinerary of your specific cruise. On a seven-day cruise, I've noticed that usually the first formal night is the evening of your first sea day.

I hope this helps.

Dear OP,

Just as an aside, on our last cruise we found the lobster portion to be much smaller than in past cruises. I think it was served on a plate with two Tiger Prawns and the prawns were larger than the lobster. Still tasty, but much smaller!

Thanks, that's good info to know. I am hoping to tell the waitor to forget the menu and simply bring me a bunch of lobster, and hope he can accomodate. ;-)

Also keep in mind that on the Caribbean princess, the first night there is usually a seafood buffet in either the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe, tons of lobster claws, shrimp, etc. You might want to skip the dining room the first night and just have dinner up stairs if you are a lobster lover. ;)

You might want to skip the dining room the first night and just have dinner up stairs if you are a lobster lover. ;)

I agree with you, Toto! We find the unlimited claws and crab legs, although served cold, to be much better than the scrawny lobster tails served in the MDR.

Although I prefer tails over claws, I'm certainly not going to turn away any part of a lobster. We have found that in the MDR they have a way of taking a perfectly good lobster tail and turning it into a dried out, pasty tasting dish. Being from New England we know good lobster...the tails in the MDR are usually not well prepared IMHO.

By the way, there is drawn butter available for your claws and crab legs in HC...you need to look for it. Ask if you don't see it.

Enjoy...

Lew

Thanks for your reply, I'll be on a 7 night New England/Canada cruise this October on the Caribbean Princess.

If you are doing the New England cruise then get your lobster fix on land. I don't eat the lobster on the ship as it isn't very good (for us New Englanders that is). Our local lobster is much, much better. In fact I'm making lobster rolls for dinner tonight! :cool:

I know the lobster on the ship is free but if you can, get some on land as well. It is SO much better as you get the whole lobster, not just the tails.

If you are doing the New England cruise then get your lobster fix on land. I don't eat the lobster on the ship as it isn't very good (for us New Englanders that is). Our local lobster is much, much better. In fact I'm making lobster rolls for dinner tonight! :cool:

I know the lobster on the ship is free but if you can, get some on land as well. It is SO much better as you get the whole lobster, not just the tails.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the proper way for one to eat a whole lobster - I usually ask for a tail and that it be lifted from the shell. :)

Dear OP,

Just as an aside, on our last cruise we found the lobster portion to be much smaller than in past cruises. I think it was served on a plate with two Tiger Prawns and the prawns were larger than the lobster. Still tasty, but much smaller!

LOL, same experience on my last cruise. It was like two prawns, a small mound of rice flanked by a few asparagus shoots, and a tiny lobster tail that was indeed the size of the prawns. :p

Hopefully on my 10-day NE/Canada sailing they'll have bigger and more plentiful lobster than that, given the location!

Also keep in mind that on the Caribbean princess, the first night there is usually a seafood buffet in either the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe, tons of lobster claws, shrimp, etc. You might want to skip the dining room the first night and just have dinner up stairs if you are a lobster lover. ;)

Make sure to take your lobster claw cracker with you because otherwise it's hard to get the meat out of those claws...and hold on tight to that sucker when you crack it. On our last cruise, we were enjoying lobster claws in the Cafe Caribe when the claw shot out of my lobster cracker and flew across the room. Of course, the head waiter was looking my way when it happened...or maybe it was the squeal that came out of my mouth when I saw the claw flying that made him look. Anyway, the waiter gave me his best stuffy look and said "I'll get that for you madame". Boy, was I red! :eek:

On the Emerald last spring, I was enjoying the cold shell fish in the HC. All the lobster claws I had had all been cracked. All I had to do was finish breaking the claw & enjoy the bounty found within!!

On the Emerald last spring, I was enjoying the cold shell fish in the HC. All the lobster claws I had had all been cracked. All I had to do was finish breaking the claw & enjoy the bounty found within!!

Sorry, but in talking to the executive chef on my ship last month, he said all of their food sourcing comes from Florida or Los Angeles. They do not source any food locally on any ship. The chefs do all of their ordering a month or so in advance through corporate, then it is shipped by container to the docks and then loaded directly onto the cruise ship.

Eating a whole lobster is a messy thing---hence, a "lobster bib"! Don't worry, you won't be getting a whole lobster on the ship! Only a tail, and a small one, at that! The waiter will remove the meat from the shell...it's part of the "service"!

Sorry, but in talking to the executive chef on my ship last month, he said all of their food sourcing comes from Florida or Los Angeles. They do not source any food locally on any ship.

Not entirely accurate. We've seen provisioning being done a number of times when calling on St. Thomas.

Lew

Sorry, but in talking to the executive chef on my ship last month, he said all of their food sourcing comes from Florida or Los Angeles. They do not source any food locally on any ship. The chefs do all of their ordering a month or so in advance through corporate, then it is shipped by container to the docks and then loaded directly onto the cruise ship.

I was on the Golden last month and heard (I think this was from the naturalist) that they get their salmon and halibut when they dock in Ketchikan.

Not entirely accurate. We've seen provisioning being done a number of times when calling on St. Thomas.

Lew

On the Ultimate Ships Tour the provisions manager told us that provisions are ordered months ahead of time and they don't just use anyone. They have very strict control and use of trusted vendors. Thats not to say they can't have someone on their list in a port stop. ;)

IMHO, if the lobster claws are cracked and has been sitting around under the heat lamp in the kitchen, the meat dries out. My experience is that even the lobster tails on the cruise are good half the time and 25% of the time (late traditional) it has even gone bad! Good lobster tails (flown fresh and never frozen) are over $20 per pound.

Archived