Recent tips or suggestions for Paul Gauguin?

georg0

1. Get some inflatable air mattresses to float on during the Motu days. You will get many jealous stares.

2. Take copious quantities of suntan lotion. You can't believe how potent the sun is, and how expensive it is to buy suntan lotion in French Polynesia. If you forget anything like that, and have time before you embark, have the cab take you to Carrefour, just west of the Intercontinental, and west of the a/p. It has the sanest prices on the island (which isn't saying much).

3. If you have an iPod, and want to listen to it in your room, get a cord with two RCA plugs on one end, and a mini stereo jack on the other. You can plug your iPod into the TV and listen via the speakers in the TV.

4. Take two insulated cups for drinks at the pool -- commuter coffee cups work well. Tervis tumblers also.

Enjoy yourselves! You are going to paradise.

SCM. Thanks a lot. Great advice, just what i was looking for. These are all answers to questions we wouldn't know what to ask. My wife is on her way shopping and we will follow all of them, anybody else?

one in the sun and one after you get off the boat and on the motu as you face in, go to the right. You will note there is a breeze and it is lovely. Get a chair or move one into a sun/shade area. Don't worry about the floating mini-bar, they will bring it to you.

We only took the black coral farm and snorkel tour. It was nice, and well worth the money, but I am not sure I would do it again.

EVERYTHING in Tahiti is MORE THAN expensive. We have a wonderful sandwich at Bloody Mary's, a mahi mahi burger. Great, flakey and great bread and affordable. This was for lunch. Don't miss Bloody Marys, it is worth it to get a T-shirt and a drink in the afternoon. Would not leave the ship at night. Too many nice things happening.

Rented cars in Bora Bora and Morea. Easy to drive and inexpensive. Used Avis as they are the only ones with airconditioning. One day is way enough. Did not book tours until we were on the ship as we wanted to use our OBC and that was the only way. We got the one tour we wanted anyway.

You can get all your snorkeling equipment on the ship.

This is a wonderful ship, THIS YEAR, and you will have a wonderful time.

tho it has been awhile since we were on the PG, but belive these PG tips are evergreen:

--On Sunday get to pool area (for shade/chairs) early to watch Children of Raiatea

--On Monday have (if u have veranda/starboard) have room service for bkfast at

about 7am to watch beautiful sail in to Tahaa. If no balcony, have breadkfast

at The Grill on starboard side as the other option.

--catch the first tender for tahaa/motu and get your choice of beach chairs (close

to water to avoid most Noseeums).

--if you're music fans, bring you own CD's to play (les gaugines and DJ) love varieties.

In any case, request them to play at least once, Earth, Wind and Fire's

Fantasy (our PG theme, cause you're in paradise) here is the first verse from the lyrics:

Fantasy

Everyone has a place

In there heart there's a space

And the world can't erase there fantasies

Take a ride in the sky

On our ship (PG!) fantasise

All your dreams will come true right away

--Pearls? We like Tahia Collins Black Pearl Gem Co on Moorea, unfortunately, for me, my wife was able to make a selection first on board (Tahia has a boutique on the PG) then

go to her store on Moorea to verify her selection amongst great variety at the store.

of music,

--for your room bring an extension cord (useful to plug in hairdryers and provides flexibility)

--bring a cloth multi- pouch shoe rack to hang on back of bathroom door to organize (toiletries, etc)etc..saves u space in your cabin.

--believe it or not, it is so hot at the Papeete airport, I brought headbands to wear

as we waited (a few hours) to process through check in.

--if you dive, u can search this thread for PG dive

recommendations too.

Have a wonderful cruise in Paridise...

If you are in one of the butler cabins on deck 8, there is an ipod dock in the room.

There is a very private little deck, forward on deck 8. You can see it from the forward observation deck on deck 9, sometimes you can go down the stairs there sometimes it's locked. But you can get to the deck by going through the deck 8 corridor and just going through the door at the front. Fun for coming into port.

Don't forget your reef shoes.

Bora Bora--if you like beaches, do go to the motu. It's pristine and beautiful. No washroom, however. Take a camera for the view of the island!

P.S. We expect a full report on your return!

Yall are wonderful!! Thank you so much for the tips... already packed the rafts, a cool inflatable lounger chair, tervis tumblers and sunscreen. We're on the 8th deck, so we'll have the docking station for our Ipods... thank you thank you thank you!!!

Can't WAIT to get there!!!

I would skip the mugs! They keep your drinks refreshed and you don't need to add extra to your luggage! If your drink sits around long enough to get melty, just get a new one!:D

Just enjoy yourself!!!

Say Hi to Jerry (the butler on the 8th floor) from Diana and Shannon!

Or Abner or Shernan, who were the butlers on 8 when we were there. And Arnold, if he happens to be on board (maitre'd of Le Grill--if so, make sure to have dinner there.) Oh, and Martha the tiny Irish woman who manages guest relations, she is a darling.

Ah, those deck 8 cabins! The nicest part is that the pool bar is just around the corner!

Take lots of sunscreen and a couple of hats--the sun is really intense.

The crew is super wonderful. The ship's atmosphere relaxed. Take casual clothes. You will stick out if you wear the usual evening cruise dress.

Don't miss the galley tour. You have to watch the ship's newletter for it and then sign up for it at registration.

If Laksman is still on the ship, say hi from Rodolfo, Carol and Wendy. We will be back for the November 22nd cruise from Fiji.

I've been reading that the cabins on deck 8 have the iPod docking stations but we're in a Category A on deck 7. I assume that will also have the docking station?

Yep, without looking at the ship, this is one of the large forward cabins, with butler, right? If so, the answer is definitely yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived