Wine Tasting - Cost??

I've seen cruise compasses from the same sailing of the same ship (don't remember which one) that showed different prices depending on which tasting it was. If I remember correctly, they ranged from about $8-$15 or so. They seemed to get more expensive as the cruise went on.

The less expensive wine tasting is NOT worth going to, much less paying for if you are already a wine drinker. The more expensive wine and wine flight tastings in Vintages Wine Bar are worth the cost. Much better wines in Vintages.

The less expensive wine tasting is NOT worth going to, much less paying for if you are already a wine drinker. The more expensive wine and wine flight tastings in Vintages Wine Bar are worth the cost. Much better wines in Vintages.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to pass up the other one and only do the ones in Vintages.

Agreed about Vintages (get my favourite Robert Mondavi Riesling there) but I noticed on my Mexico Riviera cruise on the MoS Aug 2 2009 that Vintages has changed their policy and charged an automatic 15% gratuity on every glass of vino you buy instead of relying on passengers to add their tip of choice. Didn't have that in February on an RCL Caribbean cruise. It's been said that RCL makes a profit on liquor and this is an example. I find this practice a little offensive as its not like we are a party of 12 at a restaurant where adding a default gratuity is expected because of the workload on the server. With RCLs policy of prohibiting passengers from bringing their own wine on board, this turns you into a captive audience - either pay the 15% gratuity or go without. I wonder if the gratuity is intended to offset the cost of the plate of cheese, walnuts and other little tidbits that are served "free of charge" when the waiter brings your glass of wine?

Agreed about Vintages (get my favourite Robert Mondavi Riesling there) but I noticed on my Mexico Riviera cruise on the MoS Aug 2 2009 that Vintages has changed their policy and charged an automatic 15% gratuity on every glass of vino you buy instead of relying on passengers to add their tip of choice. Didn't have that in February on an RCL Caribbean cruise. It's been said that RCL makes a profit on liquor and this is an example. I find this practice a little offensive as its not like we are a party of 12 at a restaurant where adding a default gratuity is expected because of the workload on the server. With RCLs policy of prohibiting passengers from bringing their own wine on board, this turns you into a captive audience - either pay the 15% gratuity or go without. I wonder if the gratuity is intended to offset the cost of the plate of cheese, walnuts and other little tidbits that are served "free of charge" when the waiter brings your glass of wine?

This is RCL's policy for all beverage purchases on-board. It'd be the same no matter where you buy the drink on board or what drink you buy, even a coke. They do this because their bartenders do not get paid a substantial wage- their living comes from tips, and it saves them from getting inconsistent paychecks because customers from varying backgrounds often are unclear on the "local" customs as far as tipping goes.

Is $14.95 the price for the more high-end wine tasting at Vintages? I don't mind paying more than that, if the wine is good (i.e., not the crap wine that's 5 bucks a bottle on land -- not that cheap wine is always bad).

Is $14.95 the price for the more high-end wine tasting at Vintages? I don't mind paying more than that, if the wine is good (i.e., not the crap wine that's 5 bucks a bottle on land -- not that cheap wine is always bad).

Yes, although the wines are not always so very "high-brow".

I think this is a nice repeat cruiser benefit which I now understand under cost cutting regimes no longer exists.. It was fun, but I'm not sure for the wines served onboard I would pay to partake..

Agree, used to use my coupon and go to the wine tasting in the dining room. It was fun, but will save my money for the Vintages one instead.

A 15% automatic gratuity has always been charged on beverage service no matter where you order it. Perhaps you just didn't notice it before?

We've been on 7 different cruise lines and they all add an auto gratuity for beverage service.

There is a line on the check as well, so you may add additional gratuity if you wish to, otherwise just draw a line through it.

I think this is a nice repeat cruiser benefit which I now understand under cost cutting regimes no longer exists.. It was fun, but I'm not sure for the wines served onboard I would pay to partake..

I agree, for free it was o.k., but the size of the servings was miniscule... maybe 25 servings from one bottle.

To the OP...we haven't done a wine tasting on Mariner (yet) but have on other RCI ships. I have to agree that the lower priced tasting (it was around $10 or so) was not the better choices. It was more geared towards first time wine drinkers/tasters, like an introduction to wine tasting.

My husband and I have enjoyed many wine tastings over the years at wineries, restaurants and even were part of a large wine tasting club for a couple years (long ago). The onboard wine tastings are fun, but don't expect any fine wines ;)

Edit to add, I'm far from the person to ask about wine, I still choose a bottle from how I like the label and believe the best wine is the one you like. Even if it were to be a white zin (the horror).

Edit to add, I'm far from the person to ask about wine, I still choose a bottle from how I like the label and believe the best wine is the one you like. Even if it were to be a white zin (the horror).

Ha! Our daughter is a wine expert (posts on nomerlot.com). She laughs at my wife's like of white zin. I actually enjoy the merlot, even if it isn't as sophisticated as other wines.

According to the Mariner 6/21/09 Compasses that were provided on another thread awhile back, there is a wine tasting on Monday at 3:00 in the MDR for $9.95, then another one in Vintages at 4:00 for $9.95. Later in the week, there's another one in Vintages for $14.95.

Would the $9.95 one at Vintages be a waste of $ also? I was thinking of doing both Vintages ones.

Thanks for the advice! Sandy the Wino-to-be

I recently attended the wine tasting on the Enchantment. We were served three white wines -- IN THE SAME GLASS! Same thing (different glass) for three reds. The "Champagne" finale was Martini and Rossi Asti Spumante.

Come on Royal Caribbean, you can do better than that!

I recently attended the wine tasting on the Enchantment. We were served three white wines -- IN THE SAME GLASS! Same thing (different glass) for three reds. The "Champagne" finale was Martini and Rossi Asti Spumante.

Come on Royal Caribbean, you can do better than that!

I'm not going to say that the selection of wines doesn't leave a lot to be desired since Enchantment only has the basic MDR tasting, but every one I've ever done at a variety of different wineries has used the same glass for all the whites and then another for all the reds (or else they rinse your glass).

If you like wine - avoid the 'dining room' wine tasting. It is more of a sales pitch for the wines on the 'Wine and Dine' package.

The tastings in Vintages are better. And you can get 'taster' size samples (for a fee) of many of the wines in the wine room. Also not all the wines in Vintages are available in the dining room. If you want a wine that is not available in the MDR have the people in Vintages send it to your table for dinner.

Archived