No scissors at all allowed? What do you use instead?

I noticed on the RC website that it lists scissors as a banned item. Since so many people have been posting about items being taken away, some on the list and others not, I thought I should ask RC about bringing scissors. My husband and I usually take a couple of pair with us when we travel. We put one pair in a suitcase pocket to use to remove the tie-wraps from our luggage zippers. My husband has a mustache that he likes to keep trimmed so brings a small pair for that. The blades are only 1.25" long. Both scissors are carried in our checked bags since we have to fly to most ports.

I got a reply from RC that ALL scissors, regardless of size/type would be confiscated. If we can't bring any scissors (or knives/other sharp objects), I am wondering, do other people still tie-wrap their luggage zippers? If so, what do you use to remove the tie-wrap? Also, men with facial hair, do you trim your mustache/beards on a cruise? If so, what do you use?

Does anyone know the reason for banning scissors? Did someone get drunk and run down the hall with a pair?

A pair of fingernail clippers will cut the zip ties, that is what we have used in the past. As far as the mustache scissors, I would pack them and cross my fingers. Trimming with the nail clippers could make for a long week.;) Try to pack them so they are hidden. Open them up and tape them to a can of hairspray or something metal so they don't stand out.

Why not pack them in rum runners? Just kidding!

I would bring nail clipppers for the ties and tell your hubby to trim his mustache before he leaves. Unless this is 10+ days he should make it. No one would notice and if it is a long cruise some ships have barber shops.

I noticed on the RC website that it lists scissors as a banned item. Since so many people have been posting about items being taken away, some on the list and others not, I thought I should ask RC about bringing scissors. My husband and I usually take a couple of pair with us when we travel. We put one pair in a suitcase pocket to use to remove the tie-wraps from our luggage zippers. My husband has a mustache that he likes to keep trimmed so brings a small pair for that. The blades are only 1.25" long. Both scissors are carried in our checked bags since we have to fly to most ports.

I got a reply from RC that ALL scissors, regardless of size/type would be confiscated. If we can't bring any scissors (or knives/other sharp objects), I am wondering, do other people still tie-wrap their luggage zippers? If so, what do you use to remove the tie-wrap? Also, men with facial hair, do you trim your mustache/beards on a cruise? If so, what do you use?

Does anyone know the reason for banning scissors? Did someone get drunk and run down the hall with a pair?

Oh my! I read the contract completely and must have dozed off over the word "scissors!" :eek: I packed scissors (small 1") in my suitcase two weeks ago, they were not hidden in any way, they were ok with TSA, and they were not confiscated by RCI. Upon returning from St. Maartin they confiscated a diving knife from someone when he was returning to the ship with it. They must not have caught it when the scanned the luggage originally in Miami. I guess I won't take scissors again. Are they a fire hazard? Apparently TSA allows them.

I always take small manicure scissors, and like the previous poster did not know they were banned? Now that I know they are banned - I will be sure to pack them in my checked luggage, surrounded by lots of clothes. So far it has never been a problem.

I've always packed a multi-tool piece with a screwdriver, small scissors, can opener, etc. on it, and never had a problem having it in checked luggage. That being said, my last cruise was February, and it seems RCCL has cracked down since then. Personally, I'd go to a dollar store and find some useful tool - then if it gets confiscated you're only out a buck. I don't really understand the rationale about no scissors - they come in very handy for lots of things.

They held our suitcase in the security on our recent cruise to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas because of manicure scissors. Clearly an idiotic rule. What is next? Plastic knifes in the restaurants?

Since they had about 200+ bags in the security room, we got our bag an hour AFTER ship left the port, and only after we ask our Stuart to try to locate it, otherwise we would probably get it the next day.

They held our suitcase in the security on our recent cruise to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas because of manicure scissors. Clearly an idiotic rule. What is next? Plastic knifes in the restaurants?

Since they had about 200+ bags in the security room, we got our bag an hour AFTER ship left the port, and only after we ask our Stuart to try to locate it, otherwise we would probably get it the next day.

uuuuuugh!!!!!!!! Not good.

I'm going to bundle my tiny pair of manicure scissors inside several articles of clothing and hope for the best!!!!

uuuuuugh!!!!!!!! Not good.

I'm going to bundle my tiny pair of manicure scissors inside several articles of clothing and hope for the best!!!!

pack them next to other metal items if you have any, then its hard to figure out the scissor shape.

We just returned from the Freedom 3 weeks ago....... jeez 3 weeks already !:(

anyway, we always have a small pair of scissors in our first aid box in checked baggage and never had a problem,

we also put a pair of nail clippers in the front pocket of a suitcase to cut cable ties, again no problem :D

what does annoy me is the no steamers rule...... then they sell them in the shop........ what is that all about ?:mad:

wendy

x

We took a pair of very small nail scissors and had no problem, didnt even know they were banned.

I have always taken a pair of tiny manicure scissors to cut off tags from clothes, etc. and have never had a problem. Strange, I did not know scissors were banned from the ship, especially these tiny ones.

Dh had his luggage held back on Mariner this past April because of a pair of scissors in his checked luggage. He uses them to trim beard. First time that has happened to us. Never had TSA ever questioned us on this and he has travelled with the same pair of scissors for years

When he went to claim his luggage they asked why he had the scissors and he simply pointed to his beard and they let him take the luggage. We will be more conscious of this now.

Guess they want him to spend money on board to have his beard taken care of :)

I have always had scissors in my make up bag and never had a problem, maybe other metals such as tweezers and eyelash curlers help to hide them. I had never thought about it until reading this thread. DH carries a pocket knife everywhere he goes and I never gave it a second thought until now. No one has ever even commented on it when he empties his pockets and puts it in the basket to be scanned.

We just returned from the Freedom 3 weeks ago....... jeez 3 weeks already !:(

anyway, we always have a small pair of scissors in our first aid box in checked baggage and never had a problem,

we also put a pair of nail clippers in the front pocket of a suitcase to cut cable ties, again no problem :D

what does annoy me is the no steamers rule...... then they sell them in the shop........ what is that all about ?:mad:

wendy

x

Steamers have apparently been lifted from the banned list. I say "apparently" because that could change at any moment.

Seems like RCI changes its rules as often as one would change underwear.:rolleyes:

On my May cruise, steamers were banned, but, as stated, sold in the gift shop. Now they are OK to take.

Now scissors? What, do they think we are all going to mutiny with them?

sigh.............

Sometimes you do run into some over-zealous shore security personnel. You just never know.

I think a small pair of personal grooming scissors won't be confiscated, a pair of scissors with a 4 inch blade may be taken and held.

My husband is a mens hairstylist and took along a pair of haircutting scissors (small) and an electric trimmer on our Med cruise. I have photos of him giving two of our travel companions haircuts/neck trims, mid way through the cruise. They all looked great on that second formal night :), many of the men onboard were getting a bit of overgrowth by that time. I'm so glad they didn't take his scissors, those are valued at a whole lot more than most scissors :eek: He would have been really ticked off.

Archived