Cabin advice please?-Coral Princess

150edmiston

Hello fellow cruisers. Have joined the forum today as we're planning a couple of trips over the next year or two.

We're looking at the Panama Canal transit on the above ship. We'll def book a balcony cabin but was wondering if the additional expenditure of the higher cabin grades was worth it? I wouldn't say that money was no object, but don't mind the additional costs if the lower grade cabins have smallish balconies.Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Unless you're hosting a party on your balcony, any balcony will hold 2 adults....you'll either be standing at the railing, looking out to sea, or sitting, reading, talking.....you really don't need a ton of space!

I always want the largest CABIN I can afford, especially on longer trips. Ship cabins are nowhere near as large as most hotel rooms, and spending 10 days in a "closet with furniture" is NOT my idea of a good time! Even tho we don't hibernate in the cabin, when I am in there, I want enough space to be comfortable!

Hello fellow cruisers. Have joined the forum today as we're planning a couple of trips over the next year or two.

We're looking at the Panama Canal transit on the above ship. We'll def book a balcony cabin but was wondering if the additional expenditure of the higher cabin grades was worth it? I wouldn't say that money was no object, but don't mind the additional costs if the lower grade cabins have smallish balconies.Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Welcome to CC.....

A standard balcony is all you need, other levels of reg balcony only equate to location on the ship.

Try this site for info on the Coral/Island princess, they are identical sister ships.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

For a very private, large veranda, consider the cat BE cabins at the aft end of Emerald. The cabin is the standard, small-ish veranda cabin, but the verandas have very tall ceilings, are completely covered, are about 9x9 and some of them have full metal bulkheads between them. We LOVE these cabins! Best choice are the cabins on the port side, up to about 708. Cabins forward of 708 don't get any noise (which is minimal anyway) from the Universe lounge below. We had the first starboard side BE one year and found that there is a garbage room vent on the starboard side of the Promenade deck below; this caused some unsavory smells when the ship was underway or the wind was blowing down the ship, so we went back to the port side. But these are great cabins, if you can live without the bathub and couch and extra room of a mini.

Cheers,

Kirsten

We will be on the Coral doing the full transit from FLL to LA in February.

We did lots of research and decided on Baja B422 for a number of reasons. It is in the middle of the ship (less movement) it is near the lifts for easy access and it is in the "bump out" so not looking directly down onto the dolphin deck balconys and it has a better view when going through the canal and it is totally covered for the sun.

These reasons might not be your reasons for booking the cabin but we felt that this time we wouldn't need a mini suite but definitely a balcony is a must as far as we are concerned. The money we saved can now go towards excursions. Plus we, as you, have the airfare to factor into the equation.

We will be on board 20th Feb. Enjoy your cruise.

For a very private, large veranda, consider the cat BE cabins at the aft end of Emerald. The cabin is the standard, small-ish veranda cabin, but the verandas have very tall ceilings, are completely covered, are about 9x9 and some of them have full metal bulkheads between them. We LOVE these cabins! Best choice are the cabins on the port side, up to about 708. Cabins forward of 708 don't get any noise (which is minimal anyway) from the Universe lounge below. We had the first starboard side BE one year and found that there is a garbage room vent on the starboard side of the Promenade deck below; this caused some unsavory smells when the ship was underway or the wind was blowing down the ship, so we went back to the port side. But these are great cabins, if you can live without the bathub and couch and extra room of a mini.

Cheers,

Kirsten

This is where we were on the Island and I concur. I didn't hear anything below and having that huge aft viewing area off the back of the boat would be a bonus for the canal. At least it was nice for glacier viewing.

We did a full transit in April on the Island. We had a BA mid ship on the starboard side, caribe deck. Enjoyed our cabin with a larger balcony that is half covered. There is a door all the way forward that is open or unlocked when you go through the canal. A great forward deck, but hot mid day. The deck above also is open for the canal crossing and has some shade. We felt that it would have been nice to have a cabin closer to the front so you had a shorter walk to the open deck.

We did the Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess, last September. We had a Caribe deck balcony. I highly recommend that deck, since they are partially covered which was a big plus - we had a good sized table that easily sat four. Enjoyed breakfast and lunch on the balcony. with lots of room.

We had A504 (mini-suite center bump-out)on the Island when we did the LA to Hawaii round trip - 15 days. The biggest problem with that cabin was the noise we heard at night and early morning from the pool deck above. Seemed like the crew were constantly moving (dragging) chairs and hosing off the decks. I am okay with balcony cabins for 7 or 10 day cruises, but any longer than that and I seem to collect too much 'stuff' and find I need and really like having the extra room of the mini-suite. We also like the larger balconies as we do spend a lot of time on our balcony- reading, snoozing, sunbathing, eating. So on our upcoming Panama Canal trip in September from LA to FLL - again 15 days - we have opted for the AC category. We are in D716 - mini-suite towards the aft, easy access to the back viewing decks and a large (about 8 X 8) fully covered balcony.

Cheers,

Kirsten

We have E633 booked for the Panama Canal and our friends are in E701, both starboard. I thought the balconies looked bigger on the deck plans, but now I'm concerned about the smell. Was this odor just in the first stateroom or all the way back. I had read that starboard was better for going from LA to FLL. Should we switch to port?

We have E633 booked for the Panama Canal and our friends are in E701, both starboard. I thought the balconies looked bigger on the deck plans, but now I'm concerned about the smell. Was this odor just in the first stateroom or all the way back. I had read that starboard was better for going from LA to FLL. Should we switch to port?

What reasons did you hear for the starboard being better?

I thought I read the opposite. :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,

Kirsten

Kirsten, I'm still trying to find out more info about the odor on the starboard side. We have E633 booked and our friends are in E701. How recently did you stay on starboard? I'm hoping this problem has been fixed before we board. Can't get any info from recent cruisers. I can still switch to port. I can't remember where I read here that going LA to FLL, starboard was best. Does anyone have more information?

For a large balcony at an economy price with partial cover and part full sun there are 6 cabins on C deck, 622-626 and 637-641 which are worth considering.

We had 639 in March on our Panama cruise and found it ideal, Baha and Caribe both have open areas of deck forward and aft, as well as your own balcony, for great viewing.

We have also had 637 on an Alaska cruise, this has even better viewing with a corner style balcony. The Alaskan weather limited it's use but in College fjord we had a sunny and warm day and it gave us great views of the glaciers.

Just returned from Alaska on Coral and had MiniSuite D722. It was a nice cabin with covered

porch. The only problem was that cabin is at back of ship and we noticed vibration of the ship motors. The laundry is very close and area just out the back is great for viewing.

Archived