Veendam, Lanai Cabins, Chair Hogs......

sail7seas

I've been looking for info re: Lanai Cabins on Veendam and what was finally established as policy for the deck chairs on Promenade Deck outside the Lanai Cabins?

Are chairs outside these cabins reserved specifically for guests in those cabins or are they still available for use by anyone....... first come, first served?

If they are specifcally reserved for Lanai Cabin guests, are they impeding the deck space used by walkers? Can folks still have plenty of room to pass by between the chairs and the rail?

I was on the Ryndam last year, and while it wasn't a Lanai cabin, I was on the Promenade Deck, at the end, Oceanview, right next to the door to get out onto the Promenade, and had a bench in front of our Window.

(So, we basically treated the entire Promenade like our Balcony - sans DH's morning cup of coffee in his underwear!)

For some illogical reason, DH managed to ruffled whenever people were sitting on "our" bench. I mean, dude, you had to walk out of our cabin, into the hallway, then out the double doors and onto the Promenade to get to "our" bench, but he would get upset if people would spoil our view by sitting in it.

So, he started putting a towel, or a book, or something there early in the morning to "claim" it. (He wakes up ridiculously early.) No one else sat on "our" bench (that we noticed) during the whole trip.

So, while there may not be any official policy one way or the other, the people in the cabin may feel they have some irrational claim to the things that are directly in their sight line.

And, there was PLENTY of room between our bench and the rail for walkers :)

I was on the Ryndam last year, and while it wasn't a Lanai cabin, I was on the Promenade Deck, at the end, Oceanview, right next to the door to get out onto the Promenade, and had a bench in front of our Window.

(So, we basically treated the entire Promenade like our Balcony - sans DH's morning cup of coffee in his underwear!)

For some illogical reason, DH managed to ruffled whenever people were sitting on "our" bench. I mean, dude, you had to walk out of our cabin, into the hallway, then out the double doors and onto the Promenade to get to "our" bench, but he would get upset if people would spoil our view by sitting in it.

So, he started putting a towel, or a book, or something there early in the morning to "claim" it. (He wakes up ridiculously early.) No one else sat on "our" bench (that we noticed) during the whole trip.

So, while there may not be any official policy one way or the other, the people in the cabin may feel they have some irrational claim to the things that are directly in their sight line.

And, there was PLENTY of room between our bench and the rail for walkers :)

But things are different on the Veendam since her refit this past spring.

Quite a few cabins on the Promenade Deck are now lanai cabins with doors that go directly out onto that deck.

The original reports claimed that these cabins would have their own chairs for sitting outside their cabin.

There have been several posts noting that there are small signs on the chairs saying that they are reserved for the Lanai occupants, as well as reminders from the Captain ... or maybe it was in the Daliy Program?

There were spots on the Promenade deck that the deck chairs seemed to impede walkers.

On our recent Veendam cruise, one had to be careful while walking laps. One time, a couple ladies had their deck chairs pulled out by the railing, and it seemed like I was doing an obstacle course getting past them!

There were spots on the Promenade deck that the deck chairs seemed to impede walkers.

On our recent Veendam cruise, one had to be careful while walking laps. One time, a couple ladies had their deck chairs pulled out by the railing, and it seemed like I was doing an obstacle course getting past them!

I would think that HAL will be thinking more about the guests in the Lanai rooms, than those of walkers. I am thinking of booking one of these for a cruise in 2010. If I don't see where the chair thing is taken care of , I won't book with them. I want to walk out of room , and have my chair.

I've seen that happen on other ships as well. People pull the chairs out to the railing to get more sun and then the walkers have difficulty getting around them.

I don't much like chair hogs at the pool and what not, but I must say, I will become a chair hog when we're on the Veendam in our lanai cabin if someone snags "our" chairs! As long as they are still being "billed" as reserved for those in the lanai's, I will put something on the chair to reserve it.

I've spoken with others on our cruise in the lanai staterooms, and they intend to do the same.

I've purposely booked a lanai on port side, facing the harbour rather than Hamilton, I presume, and hopefully the chair hogs will be on the starboard side, overlooking Front Street.

Did anyone mention to the lovely ladies they were blocking passage by walkers? If not....... hmmmm

They deck is meant to be shared by all and no one should make it impossible for others to enjoy it IMO

Thanks for all the responses.

We are walkers and enjoy walking Promendade Deck. We won't be shy if someone make sit impossible to walk the deck. :eek:

Did anyone mention to the lovely ladies they were blocking passage by walkers? If not....... hmmmm

They deck is meant to be shared by all and no one should make it impossible for others to enjoy it IMO

Thanks for all the responses.

We are walkers and enjoy walking Promendade Deck. We won't be shy if someone make sit impossible to walk the deck. :eek:

I've never seen the Promenade Deck walked when we've walked it...and I would think those in the lanai staterooms would keep the chairs close to the doors into the stateroom....much like they are on any ship...close to the interior wall. At least I hope people aren't discourteous enough to pull them over to the railings!

I don't much like chair hogs at the pool and what not, but I must say, I will become a chair hog when we're on the Veendam in our lanai cabin if someone snags "our" chairs! As long as they are still being "billed" as reserved for those in the lanai's, I will put something on the chair to reserve it.

Right there with you, Sheila, but I will keep the chair next to the cabin where it belongs.

The reporter from The Globe and Mail wrote that the chairs were reserved:

"The Veendam's renovation included the creation of lanai staterooms out of underused space along the promenade deck. Their floor-to-ceiling glass windows were somewhat intimidating at first, until I realized that the passengers passing by on the deck couldn't see in–the glass is mirrored on the outside for privacy while allowing a clear panoramic view from within. I could literally walk out of my room onto the classically teak-planked deck to lounge in a reserved chair in the warmth of a wool blanket."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/blue-ice-green-ships/article1252036/

Right there with you, Sheila, but I will keep the chair next to the cabin where it belongs.

Exactly, Carol. I'm with you on that one, too. I think we'll be OK on the port side, overlooking the harbor. I think most people will congregate on the starboard side facing Front Street. Which, from what I understand, has changed from what you and we remember when Trimingham's, H A & E Smith, etc., were there.

We have a deal, right Sheila? If you're not on your deck chair, I'll "save" it for you. So long as it's out of the sun, and not too hot. Oh, and I'm not busy doing something else. Right? ;)

It's a deal, Ruth! Sounds good to me! :D

I had a non-lanai cabin next to a lanai cabin on the Veendam lower promenade last month and I urge everyone not to worry.

It's true we were in Alaska and I'm sure deck chair use was not at its max. Still, temperatures were warm much of the time. There was plenty of deck chair availability at all times on lower promenade.

It's true the reserved plaques are very small and easy to miss. They are there, however, to clearly establish the priority of the lanai cabinholders to them if they ever find them in use by others. No arguments to be had on that score.

But there are non-lanai cabins with non-reserved chairs in front of them interspersed with the lanais. On my cruise, any reserved chair would have had an available nonreserved one within a few steps at all times. There were a lot of chairs.

Also, the deck is still wide. It's not like the lanai cabins are sticking out allowing only a narrow passageway between them and the rail. Walkers are not going to be prevented or seriously impeded from getting by unless people start lining up two or more deck chairs end-to-end across the deck.

It's probably only if you notice those new look all glass doors that you'll realize anything is different about Lower Promenade.

I had a non-lanai cabin next to a lanai cabin on the Veendam lower promenade last month and I urge everyone not to worry.

It's true we were in Alaska and I'm sure deck chair use was not at its max. Still, temperatures were warm much of the time. There was plenty of deck chair availability at all times on lower promenade.

It's true the reserved plaques are very small and easy to miss. They are there, however, to clearly establish the priority of the lanai cabinholders to them if they ever find them in use by others. No arguments to be had on that score.

But there are non-lanai cabins with non-reserved chairs in front of them interspersed with the lanais. On my cruise, any reserved chair would have had an available nonreserved one within a few steps at all times. There were a lot of chairs.

Also, the deck is still wide. It's not like the lanai cabins are sticking out allowing only a narrow passageway between them and the rail. Walkers are not going to be prevented or seriously impeded from getting by unless people start lining up two or more deck chairs end-to-end across the deck.

It's probably only if you notice those new look all glass doors that you'll realize anything is different about Lower Promenade.

Thanks, Mr. Balcony...you explained it very well!

Is it me or is the whole lanai concept awkward?

Lanai by definition means balcony. No offense to those who book them, but the lower promenade decxk is NOT a balcony.

Always seems like a way for HAL to gin up the price of less than attractive cabins that are now actually much smaller.

Is it me or is the whole lanai concept awkward?

Lanai by definition means balcony. No offense to those who book them, but the lower promenade decxk is NOT a balcony.

Always seems like a way for HAL to gin up the price of less than attractive cabins that are now actually much smaller.

The concept is interesting...so, I decided we should give it a try on the NYC/Bermuda run next year. We'll let you know after we've "been there/done that" next October!

Go for it. I fear you'll be disappointed.

Those rooms are of interest cause they are 1,000 cheaper than a real balcony, and a little better than an inside room. It is nice to have the outside so close. I don't think anyone has any different expectations than that.

I'm eager to hear the early reports of Veendam's Bermuda cruises. Many have asked for this for a long time and I hope they are now excited about having the chance to book it. We have not yet booked but have already booked our annual Canada/New England on Maasdam for next year. We'll wait to see about Bermuda..... if they are any cabins left by then. :)

I think of a lanai as more of a porch or patio, as on the island of Lanai, rather than a balcony, which to me is something elevated. When I first heard of the idea of lanai cabins I expected they would have some sort of "reserved" or designated area marked off around the door, and not just an outside door and a reserved chair.

Go for it. I fear you'll be disappointed.

We like the Lower Promenade cabins on R&S class ships, and I believe having the outside door would be a plus.

Archived