Seattle Restaurant Recommendations?

bandlady74

Amy,

Check out the West Cost Departures boards on this website. Lots of answers to your question there! Just use the "search" function, or read thru the threads - tons of information and lots of opinions from Seattle residents on great places to eat! Good luck! You will love Seattle.

Grew up in Seattle! Always ate outside at Ivars and fed the seagulls while you ate. I still love to dip my french fries into the tarter sauce......my preferred way to eat them....learned it at Ivars!!!

I grew up there also. Three thousand miles, and forty years later, I am still dipping fries in tarter sauce too!

If you like Italian food with an elegant flair (no spaghetti and meatballs), try Tulio on Fifth Avenue. It's so romantic! I think it's on the corner of Fifth and Spring. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but I recall it with great fondness. It's warm and cozy and I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Another good choice is McCormick's, on 4th Avenue and Cherry, I think. Daily fresh sheet and some of the best fish you'll ever have. The restaurant itself has something interesting in every nook and cranny. FX McRory's would be fun for lunch; not too sure about the neighborhood after dark. It's near the Qwest Field parking lot and is another architecturally-interesting restaurant, more open and large than the other two I mentioned.

Wherever you decide to dine, I hope you encounter the same nice servers that we almost always do, whether you're in a casual place or a fancy one.

I was in Seattle in June and we stumbled in to the Steelhead Diner in the Pike Marketplace. http://www.steelheaddiner.com/

Every morsel we ate was delicious from the salmon the the halibut to the Poutine and especially the Cherry Bomb dessert! This place is owned & run by a husband and wife team and they truly know what they're doing.

Jennifer

The Crab Pot on the waterfront is a good choice for a fun time. Ivar's is always good because it is on the waterfront. If you are uptown I always enjoy the Rock Bottom which is on 5th Avenue. There are lots of fun little hide aways in Pioneer Square. If it is nice weather it is fun to poke around Pike Place Market and pick up some fish and bread and fruit and eat it on the lawn overlooking the waterfront.

HI,

I live in Seattle and love exploring new restaurants and well admired chefs. Tom douglas is a well known chef here in Seattle. He has 3 restaurants: Dahlia Lounge, Etta's Seafood and Palace Kitchen. If you love Crab Cakes he makes the best at the Dahlia Lounge...one of my favorite restaurants. you will need to take a taxi to get there but well worth it. If you love steak and a great view of Lake Union, go to Daniels Broiler on Lake Union....the best! They also have a great piano bar every night,except Sun and Mon, starting at 8pm in the bar. Sincerely, a serious foodie......love good food!

I agree Ivars is very good. This may sound strange, but when I'm in Seattle I like to eat at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. Last year I had the crab cakes and clam chowder. Both were very good. IMHO the crab cakes were almost as good as those in the Charleston area at the Crab Shack which was featured on "Flip This House."

I agree Ivars is very good. This may sound strange, but when I'm in Seattle I like to eat at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. Last year I had the crab cakes and clam chowder. Both were very good. IMHO the crab cakes were almost as good as those in the Charleston area at the Crab Shack which was featured on "Flip This House."

Wow, forgot about the Space Needle. We were on vacation in 1972 and that was one of the few things I clearly recall from the trip (only 7 at the time). Was the fanciest place I'd ever been, and Dad took all 7 of us there. Ah, memories...But that would be a kick a$$ place with the best view of all!

I echo kudos for Etta's Seafood on Western avenue near the market -- my favorite place to dine when visiting my sister in Seattle -- great seafood, creative and really good.

http://www.tomdouglas.com/restaurants/ettas

For atmosphere we enjoy dining at the six seven restaurant at the Edgewater -- a great place for breakfast and the view.

Another vote for Anthony's. It is excellent food and you can sit on the patio. On a nice day (yes, Seattle does have those!) you can sit at the edge of the water and see both the Olympic Mtns and Mt. Rainier.

Really depends on what you want to spend and what you like to eat.. Ruth Chris steakhouse is in the Lobby of the Grand Hyatt...You'll be in the 100 to 150 range for 2. Along the same vein (steak) Canlis overlooking Lake Union. Same price

Asian: Wild Ginger..walkable from the hotel, if you are walkers, amazing food.

Northwest Cuisine (meaning seafood-ish) Tom Douglas's Ettas..already mentioned, but also Dahlia Lounge.

Fun, entertainment and passable Italian: The Pink Door.

French (not super swank) Cafe Campagne.

If those don't work just check out the restuarant guides.

There's nothing wrong with Tom Douglass's Palace Kitchen. He makes the best coconut creame pie in the world. His hamburgers/french fries are to die for. All the food at Palace Kitchen is fabulous, just a more informal place than dahlia lounge.

if you're in the mood for a 1960's steakhouse atmosphere, you must go to EL Gaucho on First Avenue. Food is great and they still make a caesar salad the old fashioned way at your table!

Wow! Thanks for all of the great suggestions! And from looking at the map, they are pretty much all within walking distance of the Grand Hyatt. (We definitely are walkers!) Looks like my husband and I will have a tough decision!

Amy:)

Archived