Thomas cook flights unable to book seats

dreamweaver767

Is anyone else finding this an issue, we are to fly out in Nov 09 to Barbados and cannot book seats together, I contacted Thomas cook which according to their web site confirms this is an option, however they then gave me another number to call which is p&o travel, they said we cannot book any seats as this is a p&o charter, and the only way to have any chance of sitting together is get to the airport early.

I think this is out of order as at the end of the day it’s a Thomas cook flight no matter who the provider is for. I also asked about the premium seats and again was told no bookings for any seats on this flight.

Anybody else found or knows anything about this.

Its the same on all P&O charters - seats are allocated at the airport. We have always been allocated seats together so I dont see that there is a problem.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I know someone in the airline industry and it seems now that they pre book your seats weeks in advance, so no matter what time you get to check in all is done, hence why I a tad worried, not a good flyer and don’t fancy being away from the wife, first time on a long haul flight, hence why I was puzzled that you cannot even book premium seats, who the hell gets to sit in these if you cannot book?.

Thanks Brian, I know someone in the airline industry and it seems now that they pre book your seats weeks in advance, so no matter what time you get to check in all is done, hence why I a tad worried, not a good flyer and don’t fancy being away from the wife, first time on a long haul flight, hence why I was puzzled that you cannot even book premium seats, who the hell gets to sit in these if you cannot book?.

Wondered what area of the airline industry your contact is in. We are flying premier on a P&O charter in November (booked April 08) and when we contacted P&O flight centre last week, they are adamant that they do not pre-allocate the seats - they will be allocated at check in. I noticed too that P&O state in their brochure that "we do not pre-allocate seats".

Like you I dont want to be separated but also would just like to know the true procedure.

Margaret

As has been said you cannot pre-book on any P&O charter flight no matter which company you will be flying with. For example if you book a holiday with Thomson then you can pre-book your seat. If you are flying on a Thomson plane on a P&O flight, you can't.

You need to get to the airport at least 3 hours in advance - I would advise more like 4 in order to get the seats you want. The only way to upgrade to a Premium seat is through P&O but these seats go very quickly almost as soon as the new brochure is issued. You can go on a wait list I believe.

At the airport I have found that if you query the seat allocation then the check-in person will say they are pre-allocated by P&O. P&O say the flight people allocated them! Who knows!

Carole

when we flew with t/c in march out to Barbados. we were first in the queue so we thought we would be able to have the pick of any seat. not so our first and second choice had already been allocated. both p&o and t/c say you get your seat allocated at check in. the check in girl said she didnt know why they were not available. we shall see what happens when we go in dec. again we will be there nice and early.

Tina

What is the big deal if you do can not sit together for a few hours? Do you spend every waking minute of your life next to each other?

As long as you both are on the same plane, you will survive.

DON

i dont know about you but i would rather sit next to my partner for 8hrs then next to a total stranger. i go on holiday with him so therefore wish to be seated with him.

tina

Seats are definitely allocated by P&O and then the seat plan is issued to the charter company - Thomson, Thomas Cook etc. The exit row seats can be changed at check in if the allocated person is not fit and able bodied in the event of an emergency. None of the charter flight seats can be pre allocated at passengers requests. Premium cabin seats are also pre allocated usually in a 2 -3 -2 configuration which means that inevitably some passengers travelling as couples will be sitting in different rows ,but this is allocated on the dated order you booked and they do there best to sit you as close as possible to companions.

What is the big deal if you do can not sit together for a few hours? Do you spend every waking minute of your life next to each other?

DON

In my mind, going away as a couple means yes I do want to sit with my partner, nothing wrong sitting next to a stranger but I would prefer my wife to chat to.

What a stupid comment!

Have you ever sat next to someone who smells badly of body odour, someone who snores loudly in your earhole, someone who reads the magazine/book you're reading or a child that pokes you all the way for 8 hours? Obviously not..........................

DON

Whilst it is always preferrable to sit next to your partner on a flight, it isn't the end of the world if you have to sit apart. I've travelled translantic many times on my own for business and have sat next to some lovely people and it has really broadened my horizons.

I sat next to a lovely American lady on the way to New York shortly after George W Bush got elected for the second time and we talked about US politics most of the way, a subject I knew little about at the time. I have followed the US political situation since as it really opened my eyes.

Life is what you make of it (as my American parent company would say) - a problem or an opportunity.

Archived