Can ANYONE open your safe with any magnetic-strip card?

Jevsy

Just concerned about this bit! Going on the Freedom and I've read that it is a type of safe that you unlock with any card with a magnetic strip. Is this so and does it mean that any one of the crew could in effect open the safe with another card? Eek!

Just concerned about this bit! Going on the Freedom and I've read that it is a type of safe that you unlock with any card with a magnetic strip. Is this so and does it mean that any one of the crew could in effect open the safe with another card? Eek!

NO! Well.......if you use your room key they can if they have a room key/SS card. That's why it is a BAD idea to use your room key.

We've used a credit card and tried to open it with the wrong card. It doesn't work.

NO! Well.......if you use your room key they can if they have a room key/SS card. That's why it is a BAD idea to use your room key.

We've used a credit card and tried to open it with the wrong card. It doesn't work.

That's a big relief! So we can use ANY card at all? Even an expired credit card? (my valid one will be INSIDE the safe of course :D )

That's a big relief! So we can use ANY card at all? Even an expired credit card? (my valid one will be INSIDE the safe of course :D )

We haven't had a lot of luck with room safe cards. Have usually tried using old hotel room key cards - they pretty much never work. (even when we go directly from the hotel to the ship!) Have started using gift cards with very little $ left on them - a few cents, maybe. That, a credit card that we never use, and/or a library card seems to work.

No. If you use your room key, only your room key will open the safe. The safe uses the number encoded in the strip to lock the safe. Every room key has a different code embedded in the strip.

The only reason Carnival tells you not to use your room key card is because sometimes the safe can demagnetize the card, and then they'd have to replace the card for you. They don't want to replace key cards ($$) if they can help it.

The only people with access to your safe is YOU using the card you chose and security.....if they have reason to do so.

No one else can get into your safe unless they steal the card from you and use it.

I keep two old void credit cards (any card) that have the same numbers on them. That way I can keep one and my DW can keep one just incase we have to go back to the cabin with out each other. But the numbers MUST match

Kevin

No. If you use your room key, only your room key will open the safe. The safe uses the number encoded in the strip to lock the safe. Every room key has a different code embedded in the strip.

The only reason Carnival tells you not to use your room key card is because sometimes the safe can demagnetize the card, and then they'd have to replace the card for you. They don't want to replace key cards ($$) if they can help it.

LOL. We took our first cruise very short notice and before I ever knew CC existed. We checked into our room and I see the safe and know that I need to use a card with a magnetic strip. The safe was locked and I decided to use my S & S card to open it and use for the trip. BIG mistake. The safe opened to an alarm bell. Inside the safe (which had been locked) were the directions telling you NOT to use your S & S card as it would deactivate it. So here we were, having to line up at the purser's desk having been onboard 30 minutes, to get my S & S card replaced.

LOL. We took our first cruise very short notice and before I ever knew CC existed. We checked into our room and I see the safe and know that I need to use a card with a magnetic strip. The safe was locked and I decided to use my S & S card to open it and use for the trip. BIG mistake. The safe opened to an alarm bell. Inside the safe (which had been locked) were the directions telling you NOT to use your S & S card as it would deactivate it. So here we were, having to line up at the purser's desk having been onboard 30 minutes, to get my S & S card replaced.

Good move putting the notice inside the safe. :eek:

I keep two old void credit cards (any card) that have the same numbers on them. That way I can keep one and my DW can keep one just incase we have to go back to the cabin with out each other. But the numbers MUST match

Kevin

Same here. We aren't always together so I bring old room keys from other hotels (that I forgot to leave when checking out :eek:) so we both have access. There's only a problem when we have three in a room!

Kevin

Now THAT'S the best reply! Never thought of us both havin or needing access!

Now to find summat suitable ............................:eek:

it does seem unlikely that any crew member would try to steal anything from a passenger..the consiquences are just too high..lost of job and unable to find another on any cruiseline perhaps any place..and even jail time..

and if a passenger happend to catch them..chances a good butt kicking would be instore..:D

the only cash we carry is few dollars and change for tipping and our

sail card..off the ship, our sail card the few bucks and picture ID..and in a few ports we were asked to take our passports..

Maybe you'll get one with a hasp and wooden peg or one held closed with a rubber band.

Try to figure out why it is called a "SAFE!"

Maybe you'll get one with a hasp and wooden peg or one held closed with a rubber band.

Try to figure out why it is called a "SAFE!"

A little harsh, don't you think? :eek:

Sarcasm really does not come across well on the internet. Why don't you work on your stand up act at your local comedy club?:p

I really wouldn't worry about the crew robbing anything of mine. I have many times left my camera, jewelery, purse etc. on the counters. However I realized that sometimes when the stewards are cleaning rooms or changing linens, they will open several doors at once while they are in another room. Any GUEST could pop in and take something during that time, so I now make sure everything is at least put into a cupboard.

Archived