Allure of the seas to FLL! is this true???

mdxter

I was wondering why is FLL getting another Oasis class ship? Why is RCL is giving so much love to FLL? What about other home ports? just venting my frustration that RCL is not coming to new orleans.

Miami and Fort Lauderdale have major international airports which makes it easy for passengers from all over the world to get there.

As another poster stated, it is also about supply and demand. Not as many people are able to, or want to cruise from NO.

I don´t know if it´s true or not, but I think it would make sense from the point of port operations to homeport Oasis and Allure at the same port (different days of course:eek:). It will be a challenge for any port and a good thing to have a port being used to that size.

As for NOLA, you didn´t think about an OASIS class going there?:eek:

Not to mention the issues that have occured in the past when the river gets blocked downstream by an accident. No way to get around that in New Orleans. Also, in my personal experience, NO is terribly expensive to fly into most times. For FLL, MCO, and to a lesser extent, MIA, there are plentiful, cheap flights.

I'm from CNY, and we have two ports we can drive to - Bayonne, NJ and Baltimore, MD. (4 to 5 hours to drive ) Both pretty much run the 5 day Bermuda. I would really like a different itinerary, for less than 9 days, and for a good price. I would love to see that option come over here to the Northeast! EOS has either a 5 day Bermuda or they jump to 9, 12, 13 days cruises. The prices are just too steep for me on the longer cruises, and it's harder for me to plan work wise with vacation time.

But, I also understand dynamics and finances. It's not warm here year round, and those two areas have a high cost of living. I've seen a ton of cheaper cruises, but once I tack on the air fare....sigh.

I understand how it all works though. The reasoning makes sense.

Part of the agreement whereby Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) agreed to spend millions of dollars to improve its port facilities was a commitment from the cruiseline to extend its lease with the port and to increase the number of its passengers who would use this port. Agreeing to base both Oasis and Allure was part of that commitment. RCI like all cruiselines is in business to make a profit and that goal influences most if not all of their business decisions, including where to deploy their fleet in a manner designed to maximize their profitability. They wouldn't remain in business very long if they catered to every individual's particular wants, especially when it comes to ship deployment. You are not alone in wishing that the newest RCI ships were going to be sailing from your favorite port. But those wishes are not realistic and you need to realize that a lot of factors go into their decisions. If you were responsible for increasing RCI's earnings, you might have a different opinion about the feasibility of basing the Allure in New Orleans. Others have already pointed out a number of difficulties with your proposal. :)

Also, one thing nice about the Ft. Lauderdale airport is that it is only about 10 maybe 15 minutes from the port. It was interesting to the see the planes in and out of the airport and when you fly in, you could possibly see your ship if you fly in the same day. Also, from Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, they are able to alternate between the eastern and western carribean. From New Orleans, they are very limited to the places they are able to visit.

to be honest...i knew of all the limitations of new orleans. I was just expressing envy for FLL. I would be happy if they bring one of the voyager class ship to new orleans.

And we would all be happy if they brought any of their ships to our favorite port for an extended period of time. However, unless the move makes good economic sense, don't expect that to happen anytime soon.:rolleyes: If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.;)

Folks seem always to be wishing that ships would port in Galveston or NOLA and then boasting about how cheap it is to sail from there. If it's cheap, then they likely can't fill the ships already going there. Also, the itinerary options from the Gulf seem rather limited.

I agree with the others about deploying ships. Too bad RCCL isn't considering new ports. I would love, love love for a ship in Charleston. Don't care how big or small - just to be able to drive to port in a couple of hours would be wonderful.

I understand them redeploying ships to new home ports with the coming in of the 2 new giants - but I really hate that they are moving Enchantment to Baltimore. I probably won't be able to sail on her again. Not that I can't get to Baltimore, but for some reason cruises to Bermuda are so much more expensive than other east coast cruises. Wonder why that is?

My other question about inteneraries - why don't the Tampa cruises include Key West?

No way an Oasis class ship could go to Baltimore - they couldn't fit under either the Key Bridge or the Cheapeake Bay Bridge. Doubtful if they would fit under the Verizzano
Oasis [212 feet above water level with its funnel telescoped down] WILL fit under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge [228 feet above mean high water]. I'm pretty sure that was a design requirement.

Thom

Archived