Princess moving to anytime dining only?

VTSnorkeler

What about the slew of anytime diners that have reservations each night that just don't show up? :confused:

Works both ways.

If I am remembering correctly, this (ressies in Anytime) is one of your issues.

1. These two are very separate and different issues... So, not, it is not an analogy that works both ways.

(AT diners taking seats from those in TD would be an analogy. One which shows just how inappropriate it is to expect seating for which one is not assigned)

2. Can you provide any information that states that ressies are not allowed. I see this as a difference in opinion, and not breaking any policy.

3. To, finally, answer your question - I have no problems with allowing reservations in Anytime. If, however, princess is handling this by holding tables for more than a few minutes past the reservations time, in effect APPEASING THE ONES WHO PUSH THE LIMITS AND/OR BREAK THE RULES, to the detriment and inconvenience of many other passengers... My thoughts are the EXACTLY the same on all of these issues...

Princess should not appease and enable and encourage selfish and demanding passengers - with a 'never say NO', 'the passenger is always right', mode of operaton.

In that respect, yes, it is the exact same problem with PRINCESS behind both of these problems.... enabling selfish and demanding passengers to inconvenience everyone else.

Perhaps, now, we can agree on the root of all of these issues. ;)

If I am remembering correctly, this (ressies in Anytime) is one of your issues.

1. These two are very separate and different issues... So, not, it is not an analogy that works both ways.

2. Can you provide any information that states that ressies are not allowed. I see this as a difference in opinion, and not breaking any policy.

3. To, finally, answer your question - I have no problems with allowing reservations in Anytime. If, however, princess is handling this by holding tables for more than a few minutes past the reservations time, in effect APPEASING THE ONES WHO PUSH THE LIMITS AND/OR THE RULES, to the detriment of many other passengers... My thoughts are the EXACTLY the same on all of these issues...

Princess should not appease and enable and encourage selfish and demanding passengers - with a 'never say NO', 'the passenger is always right', mode of operaton.

In that respect, yes, it is the exact same problem with PRINCESS behind both of these problems.... enabling selfish and demanding passengers to inconvenience everyone else.

Perhaps, now, we can agree on the root of all of these issues. ;)

I never said that making a res was against any policy. I just think its ridiculous. It clearly causes these long waits during peak times at dinner.

Tables are not held just for a short time after the res time they sometimes sit empty for an hour or more.

My issue is with these tables being taken by people with reservations then the same people going elsewhere without canceling. :)

I never said that making a res was against any policy. I just think its ridiculous. It clearly causes these long waits during peak times at dinner.

Tables are not held just for a short time after the res time they sometimes sit empty for an hour or more.

My issue is with these tables being taken by people with reservations then the same people going elsewhere without canceling. :)

Ohhhh, I quite agree!!!!!

I think everyone here can see our problem with the thoughtless cruisers.

However, those kinds will ALWAYS be there!!! Any cruise or vacation...

My thoughts are that the problem/inconvenience would not even exist if the cruise line would handle these things correctly. While there are thoughtless people, the fact that the cruise line seems to actively enable them is the real problem indeed.

Princess, or any other cruise line, or hospitality venue, owes all of their paying patrons a lot better than that.

Ohhhh, I quite agree!!!!!

I think everyone here can see our problem with the thoughtless cruisers.

However, those kinds will ALWAYS be there!!! Any cruise or vacation...

My thoughts are that the problem/inconvenience would not even exist if the cruise line would handle these things correctly. While there are thoughtless people, the fact that the cruise line seems to actively enable them is the real problem indeed.

Princess, or any other cruise line, or hospitality venue, owes all of their paying patrons a lot better than that.

Maybe AT diners can utilize a new motto "release that table"!! :D

Anytime Diners not showing up for a reservation is not as bad since tables get released if they don't show up. Also, for the most part, they don't even accept reservations between 6 and 8 and there generally isn't a problem with anyone getting a table before 6 and after 8. I just don't think it's equivalent to traditional diners leaving a table open for 90 minutes that can't be filled while at the same time adding to the congestion problems in the anytime dining rooms.

What about the slew of anytime diners that have reservations each night that just don't show up? :confused:

Works both ways.

What's constitutes a "slew" IYHO? Four, two? What are the numbers? What are the numbers of those fine traditional diners hard done by enough to be forced into the humiliation of the troth of anytime dining ... I honestly don't know.... anybody? :confused:

In any case I am now booking traditional because it's the way cruising always was meant to be. I also am going to start a thread about bringing back steerage class, and fewer life boats. :p And when you needed to contact home the dots and dashes of Sammy Morse will remind your loved ones that you are indeed having a great cruise. (Unless it's ... --- ... );)

Lets get back to the good old days!

What's constitutes a "slew" IYHO? Four, two? What are the numbers? What are the numbers of those fine traditional diners hard done by enough to be forced into the humiliation of the troth of anytime dining ... I honestly don't know.... anybody? :confused:

In any case I am now booking traditional because it's the way cruising always was meant to be. I also am going to start a thread about bringing back steerage class, and fewer life boats. :p And when you needed to contact home the dots and dashes of Sammy Morse will remind your loved ones that you are indeed having a great cruise. (Unless it's ... --- ... );)

Thats why we went back to trad. :D

Thats why we went back to trad. :D

I have written a strongly worded letter to princess about the number of life boats aboard their ships. Most are NEVER USED EVER! What a waste.

If the cost of maintaining these useless money hogs went to better use like cheaper buckets of beer and more seats in the dining room (traditional of course) we could start the journey back to cruising as it should be. :D

If I have to wait 30 minutes because a slew of other, TD, passengers just felt entitled to walk up and be seated in the Anytime dining room... I will just sit and enjoy my cold libation and have a great time. :p

I was not the first to mention the "Slew". :eek:

I need an explanation of "humiliation of the troth." Last time I encountered "troth" it was when I became engaged. :)

I found a better way of dots and dashes; it's called the internet. :D

Merriam/Webster defines a SLEW as a large amount; a lot. I guess what constitutes a slew is in the eye of the beholder.

Now as to steerage..................:eek:

Anytime Diners not showing up for a reservation is not as bad since tables get released if they don't show up.

True, but it may be vacant for a period of time so that it will be available for the reserved time.

Example: Reservation is for 8:30. At 8:10 it is vacant and people are in line at the door. It will stay vacant until at least 8:30 and maybe for a few minutes more.

Multiply that by all the tables that have been reserved and you have many empty tables while people are outside the door waiting for anytime to become reality.

Perhaps the solution to many of these problems is to treat exclusive use of the dining facilities much like the Sanctuary and charge for that service. All reservations, whether TD, cruise length reservations in AD or same day reservations in AD, should be charged something like $10.00 p.p., non-refundable for no-shows.

True, but it may be vacant for a period of time so that it will be available for the reserved time.

Example: Reservation is for 8:30. At 8:10 it is vacant and people are in line at the door. It will stay vacant until at least 8:30 and maybe for a few minutes more.

Multiply that by all the tables that have been reserved and you have many empty tables while people are outside the door waiting for anytime to become reality.

Yes, this could be be true sometimes... IF Princess is letting these tables sit..

However, that is STILL a problem with Princess, and how they are handling the situation.

Technically, It should not be a 'reservation', but what might be called preferred seating. In other words, it should not be guaranteed that a table is sitting there vacant, all set up, waiting for you at that time... but, that you would get the next available table that becomes available at that time.

But, Princess would be afraid to offend the demanding passenger who would be so upset because they were just SO important that waiting 10-15 minutes for the next available table would be unthinkable... Again, appease the few, at the inconvenience of many...

My impression from reading here on CC, among other research, is that Princess is NOT taking guaranteed reservations during the busiest dining times.

Many posters have reported no success....

Those who have been lucky to have arrived and received a table and time if their liking, and have been able to return, should consider themselves very very lucky, and should not be on here advising that anyone should EXPECT to be able to get a reservation at any time the so desire.

That is my whole problem with all of these issues...

One passenger lucks out, and all of the sudden, everybody is being advised to expect preferential treatment.

Even if it is very obviously disrespectful to other passengers or staff.

That is why I am quick to come on this thread and say "Please, TDers, do NOT crash the Anytime Dining Room.

Then we get the huffy, unhappy, passengers... who were not able to get everything they so selfishly 'expected'.

What Princess needs to realize (But, clearly will NOT) is that by appeasing the one demanding passenger, they are NOT keeping the passengers happy..

Every single time they appease one demanding selfish passenger, at the expense of others... You will 20 other passengers grumbling because they have been inconvenienced, they are not getting what they should be, etc..

If the 'perception' is that passengers can go down to Anytime, you may have one or two Traditional Passengers who will gladly abuse and take advantage of Princess good will...

But, it will backfire, because there will 20 other Anytime passengers, sitting there with pagers, very unhappy to hear the tales of "How great, Princess let us use this dining room..."

You know, I would really interested to know, just how many people have actually observed these tables sitting empty for such long periods of time... Did you ask, and were told that this is for reservations????

I really am not so sure that this is such a problem. Especially since most people report trying to make reservations and are told that this is not possible.

Unfortunately, the reality right now is that traditional diners seem to have the same priority in getting their names on a list to be seated in the Anytime dining rooms as the Anytime dining people. That shouldn't be the case. But it is. Part of the problem is the fault of Princess for allowing this and part of the problem is with inconsiderate traditional diners who believe that they have every right to a table in anytime dining on nights that they cannot make it to their assigned tables in traditional dining. The rationale that "it's only one night and not a big deal" works for those passengers. I've seen it on this thread and justified.

Exactly as it is with any restaurant that accepts reservations. Possible solution: same as doctor's offices. If you miss your appointment, you get marked as a no-show. If you're a second time no-show, you get billed. Some restaurants (not many) now will only hold your reservation with a credit card, and you get billed if you don't show up. And many doctors require 25 hour notice for a cancellation, or you'll get a bill.

Biggest difference: on a cruise ship, if you don't show up for dinner, it doesn't have an immediate impact on revenue.

Exactly as it is with any restaurant that accepts reservations. Possible solution: same as doctor's offices. If you miss your appointment, you get marked as a no-show. If you're a second time no-show, you get billed. Some restaurants (not many) now will only hold your reservation with a credit card, and you get billed if you don't show up. And many doctors require 25 hour notice for a cancellation, or you'll get a bill.

Biggest difference: on a cruise ship, if you don't show up for dinner, it doesn't have an immediate impact on revenue.

You may get a bill, but guess how many are collected.

Archived