Balconies on Soltice/Equinox Aft

der93711

Need a little info. Are the balconies on the Sky deck facing aft (1200 - 1407)larger than the other CC cabins on the Soltice or Equinox. We have sailed in an aft CC cabin on the M class ships and they are certainly larger. Celebrity has told us they are larger but the schematic does not show that. Don't want to spend the extra money if they are the same size balcony as the C2 on the ship. And are they really worth the extra $. Thanks for any info.

Der:)

Hi,

The short answer is NO. The aft balconies on the S-class are nowhere near as deep and luxuriant as on the M-class. Whoever told you they were larger was leading you astray. The widths of the aft balconies vary, but the depth is the same as the side balconies.

CM

Here is a picture showing the aft pretty well. You can see that some of the balconies are a little wider than others, but as Celebrity Man said, they are no deeper than those on the side. And they are not covered at all except for the Resort Deck. The "lip" above the balconies is no more than 12-18 inches deep.

SolsticeAftCabins-vi.jpg

The cabins in the vertical column 2152/1674/1206/9382/8344/7364/6312 are the widest

The column 2157/1676/1208/9307/8353/7317/6315 are the mid-size.

The column 1672/1204/9380/8342/7326/6310 are the smallest.

There is just one wide column and a couple of mid-sized ones. We were in 1204 and it felt small but may be the same as on the side. For sure, it isn't any larger. After the M-Class balconies with their huge size and cover, these are a real disappointment. And there is no aft elevator bank so you walk a long way. We have been dedicated aft-enders for years, but have chosen a hump cabin for our Equinox TA and would not take an aft balcony on the S-Class.

Don't want to give an opinion on size since hven't stayed in one, but from the list of cabins open on various cruises, including my two B2B, a number of Aft Cabins are still available. Unlike M-Class where they are the first to go, these seem to be 'popular' especially with those that love the stern view, but they aren't jumped on as soon as the cruise is available such as M-Class cruises.

Just a general observation which could be in error - didn't check a lot of cruises.

Denny

We were on the Inaugural of the Solstice and had hoped the Aft was larger but as stated above they are not. However some are wider as written. The balconies however seemed a little larger than the "M" class ships regular balconies and had very nice chairs.

There was a list circulating at one point in time with the larger balconies...even the ones aft. Some of the others were by the bump outs on the side.

It is a long walk but I felt we could work off some of the food we ate.

We are on 2 Equinox cruises and booked midship instead of the aft.

Enjoy,

Sue

Don't want to give an opinion on size since hven't stayed in one, but from the list of cabins open on various cruises, including my two B2B, a number of Aft Cabins are still available. Unlike M-Class where they are the first to go, these seem to be 'popular' especially with those that love the stern view, but they aren't jumped on as soon as the cruise is available such as M-Class cruises.

Just a general observation which could be in error - didn't check a lot of cruises.

Denny

Hi,

I believe your observation will remain quite correct. The M-class stern staterooms were wildly popular for obvious reasons (deep balconies, covers, nearby elevators, etc.). Unless something changes in the design on the last 2 S-class vessels, their stern staterooms will not be anywhere near as popular as the M-class.

I predict that on S-class the most popular staterooms will be the so-called "hump" or "bump-out" rooms.

CM

Thank you all for all your wonderful information. I trust the advise I get on these boards over any person from Celebrity. This board has the greatest bunch of informed people.

Bob, your photo was awsome. Thank you

Der

Thank you all for all your wonderful information. I trust the advise I get on these boards over any person from Celebrity. This board has the greatest bunch of informed people.

Bob, your photo was awsome. Thank you

Der

I am lucky enough to have already been on both of the new ships, and can verify that the information you have been given , as is usual on these boards , is correct. Plus, it is indeed a very long walk from the aft to the elevators. ! :D

I would always book aft on the M class , and mid ship on the S.

I'm trying an aft facing balcony on Equinox later this year and hope to like it. If I don't I'll be looking at one of the hump cabins next time. Aside from the differing widths of the balconies that bob278 so well describes in the picture, I have been having a look at some other photos at the site below and concluded that the aft facing balconies are also very slightly less deep than those standard size ones on the side. I haven't measured them to compare and there's not a lot in it, but I counted the number of "teak" strips on the balcony and there are 13 on the aft ones and 14 on the standard size side ones. I swear I get more of a detail person as I go through life:o

http://www.depping-design.de/test/

Phil

I'm trying an aft facing balcony on Equinox later this year and hope to like it. If I don't I'll be looking at one of the hump cabins next time. Aside from the differing widths of the balconies that bob278 so well describes in the picture, I have been having a look at some other photos at the site below and concluded that the aft facing balconies are also very slightly less deep than those standard size ones on the side. I haven't measured them to compare and there's not a lot in it, but I counted the number of "teak" strips on the balcony and there are 13 on the aft ones and 14 on the standard size side ones. I swear I get more of a detail person as I go through life:o

Phil

Phil, I believe you are spot on, as I recall reading elsewhere from someone who had actually measured the aft balcs. and they were inches smaller than the other side ones . :D

Phil

Phil

While we did not get the mega balcony we hoped it would be (since no one had any real info at that time) we did enjoy the room anyway. The long walk just burned more calories but it was still a great location and one still has the feeling they are alone on the ship at times.

I am sure you will still enjoy the experience. Ship(s) are beautifully planned and never feel crowded.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Bob:

Thank you for posting such a wonderful clear picture of the aft cabins. We are booked on the Equinox Oct 5 2010 for the Holy Land and Anchient Empires Cruise and we have always heard of the aft cabins being so good that we booked C1-9378. We didnt know that there were different size balconies. Although ours is a good size compared to the others I called Celebrity to try and book the larger C1 balconies, but they were all gone already. She only had 2-C1 cabins left and one was the same as ours and the other was smaller. So we are staying with what we have already booked, but wanted to say Thank you for taking such time to add the cabin numbers and posting them for us to see.

I would also like to add my thanks for the wonderful Aft photo and information of balcony sizes, We knew that Equinox would not have the famous extra large balcony's but we still wanted to experience an aft cabin - and the 'long walk' to and from the stairs does not present a problem for us. We have managed to book 1674 and are very happy. :) Thanks :)

I am lucky enough to have already been on both of the new ships, and can verify that the information you have been given , as is usual on these boards , is correct. Plus, it is indeed a very long walk from the aft to the elevators. ! :D

I would always book aft on the M class , and mid ship on the S.

We will be joining you on the October 31, 2009 Transatlantic on the Eclipse . We do have an aft S1 cabin and the picture seems to show a larger ( wider) balcony for 1198 but with no cover. I am spoiled by the M class aft balconies.

Thank you for posting the picture.

Nancie

We will be joining you on the October 31, 2009 Transatlantic on the Eclipse . We do have an aft S1 cabin and the picture seems to show a larger ( wider) balcony for 1198 but with no cover. I am spoiled by the M class aft balconies.

Thank you for posting the picture.

Nancie

While I would love to sail with and meet you this year Socreader, I am afraid we will have to wait until next year for the Eclipse. :) My fall TA this year will be on the Equinox again for my second trip on her. I can also alas take no credit for posting the pics. ;) I look forward to meeting you in 2010. :D

While I would love to sail with and meet you this year Socreader, I am afraid we will have to wait until next year for the Eclipse. :) My fall TA this year will be on the Equinox again for my second trip on her. I can also alas take no credit for posting the pics. ;) I look forward to meeting you in 2010. :D

Not too long until our adventure now Jennie and soon we will be able to say "I know 'cos I was there".:)

Phil

I hope we meet up, that would be nice,...... but I doubt I will make it through the rugby scrum at the Roll Call meeting and get near enough to you . ;):D.

I have only just noticed your great link to the balcony pics. Lucky man.....nice lot of suites there. We loved the corner FV on the M ships, the best cabin we have ever been in , and we have been lucky enough to get one 3 times.

We will be on the Equinox on January 25th . This will be our first celebrity cruise and our first aft cabin . We will be in 6308. After reading all the posts we hope we did not make a mistake . We are not too concerned about not having cover over the deck . We don't plan on doing anything we wouldn't want people to see and we really only sit on the balcony in the evening or a short time in the afternoon sun . The long walk may do me some good as I could use the exercise . We were on The independence of the seas last february and the walk on that ship was long also . Just want to relax and have fun .

We will be on the Equinox on January 25th . This will be our first celebrity cruise and our first aft cabin . We will be in 6308. After reading all the posts we hope we did not make a mistake .

Frannie....If this is your first Celebrity cruise, ...then NO ...you definatly have not made a mistake !. Just trying out Celebrity if you never have is a very good idea.......Have a great trip. :D

Here is a picture showing the aft pretty well. You can see that some of the balconies are a little wider than others, but as Celebrity Man said, they are no deeper than those on the side. And they are not covered at all except for the Resort Deck. The "lip" above the balconies is no more than 12-18 inches deep.

SolsticeAftCabins-vi.jpg

The cabins in the vertical column 2152/1674/1206/9382/8344/7364/6312 are the widest

The column 2157/1676/1208/9307/8353/7317/6315 are the mid-size.

The column 1672/1204/9380/8342/7326/6310 are the smallest.

There is just one wide column and a couple of mid-sized ones. We were in 1204 and it felt small but may be the same as on the side. For sure, it isn't any larger. After the M-Class balconies with their huge size and cover, these are a real disappointment. And there is no aft elevator bank so you walk a long way. We have been dedicated aft-enders for years, but have chosen a hump cabin for our Equinox TA and would not take an aft balcony on the S-Class.

That is exactly the idea of what I am looking for, but on either the port side or starboard side , not aft

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Archived