Fins & Flippers NO MORE!!!

pjtulsa

So the new dock is in replacement of the current dock and not in addition to. We will be on the Norwegian Jewel.

The new dock is for Carnival ships. Not sure if others will use it or not. Most likely they'll still dock in Coxen Hole. However, if there's more thna 1 ship scheduled for that port and the Carnival pier is open, it's possible they could dock up there.

I cancelled my reservation for fins and flippers, we had scheduled for January 2010. I got an e-mail confirmation that did indicate the price "would not be $20" but I thought maybe a $5 to $10 increase which I would have paid but I will not pay more than double. (from $20 to $50 what are they thinking?) Is there another resort that welcomes people off of the cruise ships? We just want a safe place to hang out by the pool, order cocktails and enjoy the beach.

Exactly. I got the same email and was thinking it was going to be like $25 instead not $50 lol. We just canceled a party of 7 and I let them know why too. What date/cruise are you on? We are going on the Legend on the 3rd.

I checked my confirmation dated 8/24 and it states we are confirmed at $20 pp. Should I stlll contact them????

I went to the new website...very nice, by the way! I was trying to find out if I need to call them regarding our reservations for the first week of October. I haven't received any communication from them regarding the new prices. Anyway, it states this very plainly under the "rates" tab.

(2009 rates will be honored to all reservations received prior

to September 7th, 2009 for travel dates up to December 31, 2009.) $20.00 per adult

$10.00 per child

So, I think that pretty much clears it up as to what happens to those of us already booked for 2009.

I went to the new website...very nice, by the way! I was trying to find out if I need to call them regarding our reservations for the first week of October. I haven't received any communication from them regarding the new prices. Anyway, it states this very plainly under the "rates" tab.

(2009 rates will be honored to all reservations received prior

to September 7th, 2009 for travel dates up to December 31, 2009.) $20.00 per adult

$10.00 per child

So, I think that pretty much clears it up as to what happens to those of us already booked for 2009.

Thanks for the update,,,

that Information is a NEW addition to the web site as a result of all of us contacting them :) They have been replying that they will honor the prior price for those of us that were lucky enough to make reservations early :D

I just booked today for next month. This is their reply:

Thanks for your reservation at Maya Key. We are looking forward to seeing you on Friday Oct. 16, 2009. You are confirm for 2 adults and 1 child. Admission for adults 10 years and older is $20 +tax, children 9 years and younger is $10 +tax.

And this is the reply they sent yesterday in response to a questions about the rates increase:

If you book a reservation before Nov.1 for the dates between Sept 7. and Oct. 31, you will pay the old rate. If you book now for any dates after Nov. 1 it will be the new rate. New rates go into effect starting for new reservations after Nov. 1. I hope this makes sense.

So if your coming in Oct. you will get the old rate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cindy Carter

Maya Key Manager

Can anyone describe the Mayan ruins and animal rescue at Fins & Flippers? I'm wondering if it is worth it to see these things? Is it something my kids (6 & 8) would find really fun to see? Is it pretty big or will it take only a few minutes to go through? Can they climb on things?

Thanks for your help

Can anyone describe the Mayan ruins and animal rescue at Fins & Flippers? I'm wondering if it is worth it to see these things? Is it something my kids (6 & 8) would find really fun to see? Is it pretty big or will it take only a few minutes to go through? Can they climb on things?

Thanks for your help

The last time I was at the ruins we could climb up a mountain and look down... but not actually climb on the ruins. It was a long drive and was also

VERY Hot.... Not sure if you have considered Cave Tubing or not but they might also enjoy it as you get to walk through the rain forest to get to the river... In the cave you may get to see some bats and the nests they dig in the ceiling. Floating is also enjoyable and at the end there is a small ledge you can climb and swing off on a rope into the river... You have lifevest on during tubing and I felt the precautions they took made it very safe. The only draw back would also be the long drive.. about an hour + but you do get to see the country side.. You can reserve online with one of the major companies or they will be available at the dock... Carnival no longer offers it as an excursion.

As for Fins & Flippers, not sure about the animals... I have read many reports that it is very laid back... not really a good swimming beach but excellent snorkeling. They also have a pool so for $20 its a good deal. I took a group of Girl Scouts to Roatan in Oct. and we went with Victor to the beach, zip lining & to his house to play with the Monkeys... the Monkeys were probably their favorite part of the trip because they play all over you... We went back in June and My son who doesn't enjoy anything Loved them, he's 19! The beach at Infinity was very nice with great swimming and its free, so a day with one of Victors drivers is also a great deal and you get to see some of the island.

Thanks for your help

I think that pjtulsa misread your question and responded thinking that you your asking about Mayan ruins somewhere other than Fins & Flippers. When we were at F&F this past Feburary the "ruins" were still under construction so I really cannot say much about the new attraction.

As for the animals there were several big cages spreadout over a large wooded area. A vistor could walk up next to each cage and easily see the animals (birds, monkeys, and one small cat). Assuming that the animal area has not changed since last winter, it is nice but only takes a few minutes to see.

F&F was a great place to visit for $20-$25, but as many other have said, I do not believe that it is worth $50.

I think that pjtulsa misread your question and responded thinking that you your asking about Mayan ruins somewhere other than Fins & Flippers. When we were at F&F this past Feburary the "ruins" were still under construction so I really cannot say much about the new attraction.

As for the animals there were several big cages spreadout over a large wooded area. A vistor could walk up next to each cage and easily see the animals (birds, monkeys, and one small cat). Assuming that the animal area has not changed since last winter, it is nice but only takes a few minutes to see.

F&F was a great place to visit for $20-$25, but as many other have said, I do not believe that it is worth $50.

Yep,,, your right I did.... In a rush to complete last min packing & errands as we leave for our cruise tomorrow :) and I didnt read the heading & assumed it was a roll call question... sorry....

Thanks for the info. We decided to book with Victor instead of going to Fins and Flippers. I'm really excited after all the great reviews Ive read about Victor. We have a very full day planned - a tour of the island, zipline for DH and DS, a visit to the monkeys, snorkeling off the glass bottom boat, and if we have time a visit to a beach where we can snorkel off the shore. We are going to see real ruins in Costa Maya so Im sure they wont miss it.

Thanks for your help

We were there in July.... there were only a few animals in the rescue and the ruins were FAKE.. they were just finishing them. They are a replica. My kids wouldnt enjoy them.

Now.... I need to find an alternative because I am NOT paying $50/adult and $25 a child.. We REALLY loved the pool alternative at F&F... is there another place like that in Roatan?

We were there in July.... there were only a few animals in the rescue and the ruins were FAKE.. they were just finishing them. They are a replica. My kids wouldnt enjoy them.

Now.... I need to find an alternative because I am NOT paying $50/adult and $25 a child.. We REALLY loved the pool alternative at F&F... is there another place like that in Roatan?

Victor Bodden charges $40 per person if there are two of you, $25 each if there are four. His guide will take you anywhere you want to go, and you have the guide for the entire day if you choose. There are many places that you can go for free, other places there is a small entrance fee. For instance, at his house, he has a nice mini zoo with a nice variety of animals for $2. For that price you can go in the enclosure with the monkees who climb all over you.

There is an iguana sanctuary elsewhere. The iguanas are free roaming and very tame. You can feed them some native leaves. They eat right out of your hands.

There are a variety of beaches that you can visit and swim or snorkel. We went to Half Moon bay, which was free. This was very tropical and scenic. The reef is easy swimming distance and you can snorkel right off the beach. There are other beaches close by also.

Basically, your guide will offer suggestion for places to go and things to do and then you can spend as much or little time as you like at each location.

If you are just looking for a beach/pool day, I have read lots of good things about Mayan Princess, but haven't been there personally.

Thanks.. Mayan Princess looks nice! Sad as it is, we arent salt water lovers :eek: Yes I know.. and we love the Caribbean! I guess after all that salt water on the ship, I love a nice freshwater pool! Maybe we will take the guide and do the pool for awhile and then off to his place.. or other way around. We have 10-6 :)

It really is to bad about F&F...This was one of the reasons I couldn't NOT take this cruise with a bunch of cruising buddies...I think at last count we had 60+ cabins booked. Now not all of us would have gone to F&F as a group tour, but I am guessing we would have had somewhere between 50-75. We had reserved 50+ for next Feb. but after looking into it to see about the price change, all of a sudden we hadn't really reserved for that many, only 2. I think not, and we have e-mails to prove it. Oh well their loss for sure. Maybe they didn't want to have that many people on their beach at the same time. @ $20 a head just in cover charges is $1000 +. and about $1500 would be eating and drinking, and renting equipment. seems a bit odd that they would give up such a guarantee money day. just need to get 20 to pay the $50 I guess, but they will never eat, drink and be marry to the tune $$ of 50-75 of us.

Hey Koval,

I wonder if you emailed them, they'd quote a group rate for you? Based on the comments in the Roatan threads and the fact that Carnival ships will soon be further away, plus the relative uncrowdedness of F&F anyway, 50-75 folks just might make their month.:rolleyes:

Hey Koval,

I wonder if you emailed them, they'd quote a group rate for you? Based on the comments in the Roatan threads and the fact that Carnival ships will soon be further away, plus the relative uncrowdedness of F&F anyway, 50-75 folks just might make their month.:rolleyes:

We have been in contact with them, this is how we found out they took our 50+ reservation and made it for 2, that they would honor the $20pp, the rest well, $50:eek:. We all wanted to hang out on the same beach, and some might have even took a look at the fake ruins, and the critters, but mostly to sit on the beach $50 is a lot for a chair, Then to pay for drinks, food, taxi and snorkel equipment. Their loss...this might be the day we hang out on the ship... NOT ...we'll find something even better to do as a group.

We just returned home from a cruise on the Valor and stopped at Fins & Flippers with our group of 12... It was a VERY nice place and I would certainly return on future trips but NOT for $50!

We did hear from the staff that Carnival is working with them to turn it into a Carnival Excursion... Hence the $50, 1/2 of which will go to Carnival.. They are working on a few final adjustments to the property so my guess is they will start in January... :(

Next time we will go to the Mayan Princess for $10 plus the taxi and have a great time as their property looks very beautiful.

We did hear from the staff that Carnival is working with them to turn it into a Carnival Excursion... Hence the $50, 1/2 of which will go to Carnival.. They are working on a few final adjustments to the property so my guess is they will start in January... :(

That's a shame.

Luckily we reserved before they increased the price, and will be there before 10/31.

Archived