Fins & Flippers NO MORE!!!

pjtulsa

Sorry...I meant $10/person round trip. Just getting excited about the cruise :D

That's OK...have a great time! Please post your experiences back here...we're considering going as well...either here or Bananarama - haven't decided yet.

Just returned and this was our 3rd time in Roatan. Have to say that Maya Key was one of the best things we have done in 20 years of cruising. We will certainly go back, but next time we will bring bug spray, got bit up pretty bad. Do not miss the tour! A vet took us to each animal cage and spoke about the animals, it was incredible. Beach and pool area are very nice, food was great and very reasonable. All in all, well worth the price of admission.

The only injured "animal" we saw was a snake that the vet was treating outside as we arrived. One guy was holding the snake while the vet dabbed an antibiotic on the snakes nose with a q-tip. One of the strangest things I've seen! The vet explained that the snake had torn its skin on a chunk of concrete and it had become infected. All of the other Monkeys, various big cats, reptiles, sting rays, manatees and really cool looking birds were fine. This place rescues them and the dedication of the Vet and the staff is amazing.

I've done cave tubing, kayaking, zip lining, snorkeling and about every other excursion in the caribbean and can honestly say this was one of my favorite places to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the cruise on the Legend. We went to Maya key on Christmas. I have to say that it was my favorite stop on the whole trip!!

I would recommend this to anyone who wanted a relatively broad experience in one place. Getting there was easy and Cindy was very gracious.

I loved visiting the animals and thay do a great job in taking care of them. One of the spider monkeys loves giving hugs through the cage (no kissing:D).

There is also a mini-island which houses 4 female Howler monkeys. Since we were the first ones there, we got to feed them!

Weather was great. I went snorkeling off the pier. I am inexperienced but loved it...like cruising through a coral reef maze. We also were almost nose-to-nose with the sea lions during their training exercise.

My only major gripe was that our time there was too short. Oh, and do not forget insect repellent. They did not itch but do create lots of little red spots.

I have some reservations recommending it since fewer people means a much more serene environment. But I think everyone should go. On top of it, the fee for entrance supports the animal care and rehabilitation, which is entirely privately funded.

Go and experience adventure and relaxation!!

Hi - Any idea what is considered a child on Maya Key. I have a 13 and 16 year old and don't know if it would be the adult or child rate.

Thanks

Hi all -

we were at Maya Key Last week and it was wonderful. I think we were the last time the Valor was docking at Coxen Hole. We were given their new rate of $30 for adults and $20 for kids. You really can't beat the day there!

Cindy is the nicest woman in the world and really made it a great day. There were maybe 35 people on the island and our group of 17 decided it was pure heaven! She assured me that they are not turning into a Carnival excursion and they will continue to have the same low level crowds.

Here is a snippet from my Valor review about our day in Roatan.

Roatan was by far our favorite port. At the beginning of the week, Tex announced we would dock at Mahogany Bay but then they found out it still wasn’t ready and we didn’t dock there. So we decided to talk to Maya Key Resort (Fins and Flippers) They have readjusted their prices and it is now $30 an adult and $20 a child. It was worth every penny! We went to their booth at the pier and then they walked us around to their boat. They took us and several crew members over to the island. It was a short ride and the Valor was always in our view.

I can’t describe how beautiful the island is. The snorkeling was great. The reef is awesome and there is literally a drop off where you feel like you hit the edge of earth and there is just pure blackness. They have a snorkeling guide who rides around in a kayak and he took the kids and adults for a ride in his kayak. He took my husband out to the dropoff and then let him snorkel back. There were maybe 30 people on the island and it was so relaxing. There are sand fleas so bring your bugspray – it was mostly a problem for the kids who were playing on the edge of the water.

There is an island tour – which my mom did and then took the rest of us up to the Mayan ruins for a tour with her. This was great for the kids to get a snapshot of the ruins without taking the whole tour. While there one of the workers asked us if we had seen the monkeys. We had not been there yet – so he walked us down there. They were very friendly and one of them loves Velcro. He played with my nephews Velcro sandals for about 5 minutes and at one point discovered the Velcro on his swimsuit and undid it and then reached in his pocket. The kids loved this!

The pool and bar area is really nice as well and the drink prices were reasonable!

They also have stingrays and sea lions that they are training for guest interactions and they hope to someday allow people in the water with the stingrays.

I can’t say enough about Maya Key and if you are looking for a relaxing day away from the crowds – this is the perfect day. In fact, I had a hard time getting my husband back on the Valor!

We rode the boat back to the port and they dropped some of us at the port and some at the first pier where we walked through. There were lots of young kids selling bracelets for a $1 – we bought a lot of these! The boys picked up Roatan soccer shirts for $10 each and the girls got their hair braded for $10.

From looking at the pictures, is this correct:

You have to take stairs to get into the ocean from the beach?

Food/drink is not included?

Do they limit the number of guests on the island or will it be crowded?

For those that have been, would it be worth it for a family of 5 to go for the day, 2 16 year old girls and a 12 year old boy? We are also paying for our day at Nachi in Cozumel and Maya Chan in Costa Maya.

We originally were going to do Mayan Princess, but we are docking at 10 am and thinking by the time we get there no more chairs or passes (that is what I read in another thread that they docked at 12 pm and by the time there, no more chairs).

I look forward to hearing your input.

Thank you very much.

Thanks. I just e-mailed them and asked them that question.

I think I will book this for our family. The only thing that seems "silly" is it looks like there is not a gradual incline to the ocean from the beach. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Thanks. I just e-mailed them and asked them that question.

I think I will book this for our family. The only thing that seems "silly" is it looks like there is not a gradual incline to the ocean from the beach. Is this correct?

Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly - - - People enter the main office/gift shop (which is at sea level) to buy tickets and shop if desired. To get to the beach, you exit the back of the office, climb-up a few steps (<12) to reach the level of the swimming pool and resturant. Then if you want to go to the beach, you step back down a few steps to sea level/beach. There may be a way to bypass the steps up/down, but I do not remember any. My wife has some problems walking and climbing and did not have any issues when we visited about a year ago.

The beach is very narrow (area between the water and forest covered area) if that is what you mean. It is not a big wide beach like one would expect to see in Cancun for a example.

Glad they lowered the price! so, has anyone been there when it has been crowded? What are the drink prices and food prices. Was the snorkeling really good? Water Temperature in February?

Thanks for any info!

It was not crowded at all when we visited last year; so no help there. However, it is a large complex and I think they will be able to handle larger numbers of visitors.

Food & drink prices are very reasonable and the food was very good. (I think their menu is on their web page although I have not checked recently.) Much better food & prices than one might expect at a place that has a "captive audience."

We do not snorkel, but if you read this thread (and others) you will find many comments about it.

To me, the water is very cool in the winter, but that is very subjective. I am sure that if you get in you will get use to it.

Glad they lowered the price! so, has anyone been there when it has been crowded? What are the drink prices and food prices. Was the snorkeling really good? Water Temperature in February?

Thanks for any info!

I was there last week, it was beautiful, the water was warm. My 15 year old was charge an adult price. Food and drink were good, but about the same price as a casual restaurant here. The snorkeling very nice for shore snorkeling, my favorite in Roatan. You walk on a long pier and step down into the water. Perfect! Bug spray is a MUST especially if you walk in the trees by the animals.

ENJOY!:p

Sandy

To all that have been there, would you definitely recommend this place much more than Tabyana beach? Also, is it mostly a rocky snorkeling type beach, rather than a sandy beach? We have only two weeks left to decide. We would have to take a cab over from the new cruise pier.

I know there are sand fleas all over Roatan, but are there mosquitos here at Maya Key as well?

Thanks for your help!

I was there last week, it was beautiful, the water was warm. My 15 year old was charge an adult price. Food and drink were good, but about the same price as a casual restaurant here. The snorkeling very nice for shore snorkeling, my favorite in Roatan. You walk on a long pier and step down into the water. Perfect! Bug spray is a MUST especially if you walk in the trees by the animals.

ENJOY!:p

Sandy

Do you feel it is much buggier here than at Tabyana beach? My husband is allergic to several bug bites. We will be using DEET, but better to be on a less buggy beach, if there is one.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you feel it is much buggier here than at Tabyana beach? My husband is allergic to several bug bites. We will be using DEET, but better to be on a less buggy beach, if there is one.

It is hard to say. At Tabyana we were never in the trees, we did walk in the wooded area at Fins and Flippers. I had sprayed my sons very well and they did not get bug bites. We were also there at different times of the year.

Sandy

We have been to Flippers n' Fins 2 times in the past, before they expanded and changed the name. It was great then. The snorkeling is fantastic, the food was grat and they has $2 Honduran beer! I hate that they expanded and are pricing themselves out of the market...who wants to see fake ruins anyway!

The web site says $30 for adults and $20 for children. I received a reservation confirmation today that verified that price. A child is considered 12 and younger. The e-mail also said that there is a $10/pp (roundtrip) transportation fee, so I assume that my ship (Costa Atlantica) is docking somewhere other than right next to Maya Key and the airport. Does anyone know where this other cruise dock is? My last 2 trips to Roatan docked there and it was only a 100-yard walk to the pontoon boat for the island. I have e-mailed Maya Key to confirm this.

The extra $10/pp was painful, but an additional $10/pp for transportation will be a deal breaker.

Ah, I just Googled Roatan cruise docks. All of Carnival and it's affiliates now dock at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center.Dixon Cove, on the southwest coast of the island of Roatan. It is in Here's a link for info: http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/

The port center has shops, restaurants and bars and a chair lift that takes you to a 10-acre private island featuring an 825-foot-long white-sand beach for $5/pp. Beats the heck out of $40/pp for Maya Key!

The port center has shops, restaurants and bars and a chair lift that takes you to a 10-acre private island featuring an 825-foot-long white-sand beach for $5/pp. Beats the heck out of $40/pp for Maya Key!

Yes, except for the fact that there could potentially be 5,000 other people at Mahogany Bay with you if two ships are docking there...

Archived