Fins & Flippers NO MORE!!!

pjtulsa

We were going to go there for our cruise in January. Now we will do something else. I'd be interested to know if the people that already booked the $20 fee are still going to be charged the $20, or if they will be forced to pay the $50.

This is the only port that you must use a tour group to enjoy your day.

This is not entirely true... There were several groups on our roll call in May that simply left the secured area and hired a taxi to the beach area for $20 each way. The taxi actually waited for them but I have heard that this not always the case but there are other taxis available. As long as you don't plan to come back to the port at the last minute you would be fine with a taxi.

We did us Victor both times because we wanted to tour a bit and do add ons. Both times we went to Infinity and were free to use their beach and bathroom... They had several tables under the trees that we were able to use as long as we ordered food and drinks which we did. The staff was friendly and the beach was very nice. The only thing we missed out on was the loungers, they are reserved for hotel guests as they should be.

We were going to go there for our cruise in January. Now we will do something else. I'd be interested to know if the people that already booked the $20 fee are still going to be charged the $20, or if they will be forced to pay the $50.

Emails are arriving to confirmed guests that say there has been an increase but they do not state how much... Can you imagine those people that show up at the gate thinking they have a confirmed RSVP for $20 and are charged $50 :eek:

I didn't know about the limit on day passes. So I could end up paying for the ride there, only to find the limit has been met. Bummer.

I emailed RonY and he quoted a price of $70 for two to take us to MP. Plus we'd have to pay for the day pass. And MP is not AI (as far as I know).

Sounding to me like going to MP will be a little expensive.

After I read about the price increase I booked with Bodden. I mentioned my concerns about the MP selling out of day passes before we got there so his solution --- we are going straight to the MP to buy our passes and then touring the island. We will end our day at the MP.

After I read about the price increase I booked with Bodden. I mentioned my concerns about the MP selling out of day passes before we got there so his solution --- we are going straight to the MP to buy our passes and then touring the island. We will end our day at the MP.

You will be happy with Victors driver... They are all great & their vehicles are spotless... Enjoy your day in Roatan :D

The price increase is due to all our new additions that we have made to our facility. Included in the price is the beach/pool, snorkeling, bar/grill, use of lounge chairs, and picnic area, restrooms and outdoor showers, we have included 9 more acres to the facility which is a 66% increase, a tour of the replica of the Maya Ruins, Interpretation center, Maya art now and then center, and a wildlife rescue center.

Yes it's a increase in price but it is still a good value for what you are getting. And everyone has really enjoyed the facility when they have visited.

I am sorry to hear that you are going to cancel, and hope that you would reconsider your visit to Maya Key/Fins n Flippers, we really do have a wonderful facility that is just across the harbor from the cruise ship pier.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I could answer for you.

Cindy Carter

Maya Key/Fins n Flippers

Manager

We visited Fin and Flippers last April. We enjoyed it but at $50 we would not have booked it.

I would highly recommend you reconsider your pricing schedule. I'm sure a price increase of $10 would probably be accepted. You could then charge extra for the Maya Ruins and zoo. I am afraid you will be disappointed in your numbers without an adjustment.

If on the other hand you have cut a deal with Carnival or NCL, then carry on. :D

$50 is a fair price for the cruise line to offer...

We have a confirmed (?) reservation for next Friday (Sept. 4) - at $20/pp. I have e-mailed them to make sure they will honor that price. If not, I guess we'll be doing something else.... not sure what, but something else. Looking now....

Stop back by when you return and let us know if they do honor it.

We (family of our + family friends) had a great day at Fins & Flippers last winter. In fact it was our favourite port "day". We chose the location for the pool and beach as we have young children who enjoy time in the pool. At the time, we saw many of the rescue animals and work was being done on the Mayan Ruins. At $20 pp, with a small discount for children we felt it was very good value. Food & drinks were also reasonably priced. But with this new change in price I can't imagine going back and paying $200 + for a day. We would choose another beach(that also offered better snorkelling- the snorkelling is ok at F&F but there are much better sites around the island), forgo the pool, saving some $. I also don't understand the attraction of "replica ruins" when most Western Caribbean itineraries include options for visiting the real thing. What a shame...

The price increase is due to all our new additions that we have made to our facility. Included in the price is the beach/pool, snorkeling, bar/grill, use of lounge chairs, and picnic area, restrooms and outdoor showers, we have included 9 more acres to the facility which is a 66% increase, a tour of the replica of the Maya Ruins, Interpretation center, Maya art now and then center, and a wildlife rescue center.

Yes it's a increase in price but it is still a good value for what you are getting. And everyone has really enjoyed the facility when they have visited.

I am sorry to hear that you are going to cancel, and hope that you would reconsider your visit to Maya Key/Fins n Flippers, we really do have a wonderful facility that is just across the harbor from the cruise ship pier.

Cindy Carter

Maya Key/Fins n Flippers

Manager

Dear Cindy, I have read many wonderful reviews about your facility. Roatan has always been a wonderful value to us tourists compared to other islands. I understand why you would need to raise the price to make your facility even nicer, but I do believe $50 per person is quite steep. For one person it doesn't seem so bad, but when you multiply that number times a few family members, that really adds up.

I think it is quite admirable that you have a rescue facility there also. Many potential guests like me would probably be happy to leave a donation towards that facility, but everyone who just wants to enjoy your swimming area, pool and lounge chairs may not want to shell out so much money. I hope you can find a viable alternative. On my last visit I was able to enjoy a nice beach and chairs for no charge at another location.[we bought lunch there only]. It probabaly was not as nice as your facility, but considerably less expensive.

I agree with the other poster that real Mayan ruins are available on other islands and I would most likely not want to shell out money for that feature, but perhaps some tourists will.

Good luck to you, I hope all works out.

Where do you get a taxi to Mayan Princess for $20 each way?

From what I understand that on this island all taxis are tours on ship in port days. Anyone can be a tour taxi-if the car moves it will be there to give you a tour.

I understand the only way to see this island is with a tour.

No busses, no way to walk around town or to a beach.

This island cost money to enjoy!!!!!! And as you see F& F is now going to join the group and make money from us.

If you can find an inexpensive way to get to the beach besides Boden at $20 PP, please let me know. $20 is not bad if it is 2 of you but with a large group it can be a huge amount for a ride to the beach. When you get to the beach remember most places cost you to use the bathroom, chair or showers. It might only cost you a drink($5 each) but it all adds up for one day of the beach.

This is the only port that you must use a tour group to enjoy your day.

I would love to hear what others are doing in Roaton and what it cost.

Enjoy

Star1 - I'm not sure what makes you think Roatan is different from any other island you may visit - every tourist-destination island will cost pax money (in one form or another - meals, drinks, transportation, etc). Roatan is a tiny island without the tourist-driven infrastructure of other islands (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc come to mind) - it's still relatively "new" to the tourist industry. You do have the option to not disembark in Roatan - but you will miss some of the most beautiful scenery and one of the world's best beaches if you stay onboard.

You can rent a scooter for the day (if you're brave) in the $55-75 range and go wherever/whenever you wish all around the island, stopping at deserted beaches to take in the scenary or for a quick snorkel. You can book a car/driver for the day who will take you where you want to go, when you want to go. There are public busses - but I'm sure not brave enough to try one:). Get out and see the island which is much more than Tabyana Beach, Fins 'n Flippers, etc - see the mangroves near Oak Ridge, taxi to West End and spend the day snorkeling, eating, hanging out. I'm concerned that some of what you "understand" may be misinformation that will prohibit you from truly enjoying Roatan. The beach in front of Infinity Bay is free and open to anyone with a beach towel! Frozen drinks from their beach bar are a few dollars, you can sit in the shade under an umbrella on the patio but will not have use of the loungers (they are for condo owners of Infinity Bay) - and you can walk right into the water and you're maybe 30' from the reef.

Why not pop over to Trip Advisor, go to the Roatan Forum and get some tips on what to do in Roatan - I'm willing to bet if you invest a little you'll gain a lot more insight into the beauty of Roatan. We loved the island so much that we're going back late next week to spend 8 days looking for our retirement home for next year.........

I am very disturbed by this. I am supposed to be going there next week, and if someone from this site hadn't told me to double check....

anyway, I sent them an email to see if they will honor the original price. But since I didn't hear anything back yet, I booked the Tamayama (?) tour through Carnival.

At least I see that the tour is about the same as taking the taxi RT!

I also was looking forward to Fins and Flippers. Just found out this morning when I went to Book. I have spent numerous hours researching my own excursions for my Cruise 9/6 on Carnival Legend.

What a shame! I was planning on Returning in November with a group.

I think I will Use Victor Booden to go to West Bay Beach. Hopefully find another compatable couple to share expenses.

[quote=WB9DQU;20984174

I think I will Use Victor Booden to go to West Bay Beach. Hopefully find another compatable couple to share expenses.

Victor's drivers are great. If all you are doing is going to the beach he has a beach bus for $20 pp. That is the same price as a taxi but you might feel better having RT transportation confirmed.

Have a great cruise! The Legend is a nice ship.:D

I believe Roaton will be a wonderful place to spend the day. Again..I do not like the price it is to enjoy this island.

From what I understand there is no city busses on cruise ship days. You must use a tour group, rent scooters or take your luck at a taxi. A simple taxi ride to the beach and back is $40 from what I understand. I have not read any good reviews regarding someone jumping into a taxi to the beach area. Most post say....Do not pay the taxi driver til your back to the ship!

With F & F rate increase just proves how much it cost to enjoy this island.

I am not going to stay on the boat. I have a tour planned-it will cost lots of money for my family to enjoy a day on this island.

Save your money --Roaton is an expensive port to enjoy!

...Hopefully find another compatable couple to share expenses.

Howdy WB9DQU! 50.gif

When you have a chance, please read the Sticky post titled What is a ROLL CALL and how do I find mine? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773. The post will tell you about the Cruise Critic Roll Call Forums and how they are the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise.

To help you find your Roll Call thread quicker, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=870488 for your Carnival Legend Roll Call thread titled September 6, 2009 Labor Day. Read all the posts to get to know your fellow Cruise Critic Roll Call members sailing with you. Post a reply on the thread introducing yourself and I feel sure the others will welcome you with replies.

Please note, your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. In fact, your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members may post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! 05.gif

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to a new members and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Victor's drivers are great. If all you are doing is going to the beach he has a beach bus for $20 pp. That is the same price as a taxi but you might feel better having RT transportation confirmed.

Have a great cruise! The Legend is a nice ship.:D

Thats exactly why I opted for the $30 per person private trip. I want to leave the beach when I want and not wait for a bus full of people. I was only told that by the time I get there next summer, the MP may not be the only game in town for us to visit. So we are going to play the beach part by ear.

All.. I just received this email from Fins & Flippers.

Yes we are honoring the previous price for everyone that has made a reservation prior to our price increase.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hope that relieves some stress....:)

Cindy Carter

Maya Key/Fins n Flippers

Manager

Why would they say included in the price is bar/grill? is it all you can eat and drink now? I highly doubt that. :confused:

Archived