Fins & Flippers NO MORE!!!

pjtulsa

I booked our party of 6 on Sept 6 for a date in Dec. They confirmed with a email with the new expensive pricing. When I reminded them that their website said they would honour all bookings made before Sept 7 with arrival dates before Dec 31, they adjusted my pricing to reflect the old pricing of 20 pp.

I booked our party of 6 on Sept 6 for a date in Dec. They confirmed with a email with the new expensive pricing. When I reminded them that their website said they would honour all bookings made before Sept 7 with arrival dates before Dec 31, they adjusted my pricing to reflect the old pricing of 20 pp.

You will definitely enjoy it for that price... :D

Just remember your "Deet Insect Repellent"!!! We did spray our legs and feet well but didn't bother with the upper body and I have 2 bites on my arms but those in our group that went around to the animals and and spent time on the beach had several bites... The bites seem to itch worse than mosquito bites so be prepared....

Local Beers were $2, the chicken fingers were very good and plentiful, don't really recommend the rolled tacos, you only get 2 and they are covered in a strange sauce that wasn't that good...

• 2 weeks later...
When checking the Fins & Flippers website you are now redirected to a new web site with a new name!!! http://www.mayakeyroatan.com/en/index.html

The big change is the new price = $50 per person :eek:

I have been trying to confirm my reservation for weeks with no reply and now I understand why. They didn't want my group of 14 at $20 pp when they knew they were raising the price. We will now look for something else to do while in Roatan. I have used Victor 2 times before and the driver was great so that is a great 2nd choice... I just really wanted to try Fins & Flippers but $50 is just too much. :(

I received this from Fins and Fippers:

Carlene

Thanks for your reservation at May Key/Fins n Flippers. We are looking forward to seeing you on Friday Dec. 11, 2009. You

are confirmed for 2 adults. Admission for adults is $20 +tax.

Getting to Maya Key/Fins n Flippers....You can now meet us on the cruise ship dock located in the independent shore excursion isle, first booth on the right, or you can exit the cruise ship dock, turn right and walk about 60 yards to our private boat dock where there will be a Maya Key/Fins n Flippers employee to greet you. At that time you will take a 4-5 minute boat ride over to Maya Key/Fins n Flippers.

Upon your arrival you will be greeted and briefed about the facility and then you pay for your admission. We accept Cash, Travelers Checks, Visa, MC and AMEX.

We also rent snorkel equipment (mask, fins and snorkel)for $8 a day and snorkel vest for $5. You may also bring your on equipment with you.

Please let me know if you have any questions prior to your arrival.

Thanks

Cindy Carter

Maya Key/Fins n Flippers

Manager

I looked at their web page and it says they are honoring all reservations @ $20.00 per person made before September 7th for reservations through December 31, 2009.

Has anyone experienced any problems with their printed reservation once they arrived at the island?

Thanks!

Carlene

I looked at their web page and it says they are honoring all reservations @ $20.00 per person made before September 7th for reservations through December 31, 2009.

Has anyone experienced any problems with their printed reservation once they arrived at the island?

Thanks!

Carlene

When we arrived Cindy meet the boat and told us about the facilities and then guided us to the gift shop where they had a list of the reservations and there was no problem. We paid $20 pp and we had a large group and everyone was allowed to pay for their own families.

We booked after 9/7 for our 9/20 Legend sailing and the fee was $20.

What an amazing day. For the longest time there were SIX of us on the island. As the morning wore on the numbers swelled to 14. Eight of the ship's crew had joined us on the beach. Simply a great day.

Jennifer and a nice couple from Niagara Falls, Canada were led on a private snorkel expedition that lasted at least 45 minutes. Our friends, very experienced snorklers, said that it was worth $50 or more alone. I sat on the beach doing quality control on the local cervezas. Lunch was amazing. Conch ceviche, incredible fried shrimp and two beers for $15. And beach service included.

The animal sanctuary is a good thing. Very large and nice enclosures for the animals. Jennifer fell in love with the monkey named George. He was a hugger.

Cindy is awesome. She is very funny and really accomodating.

One of our very best days ever on a cruise. Maya Key is awesome. Don't hesitate to go.

One of our very best days ever on a cruise. Maya Key is awesome. Don't hesitate to go.

Nearly everyone that has been to F&F (now Maya Key) has agreed to your quoted statement, including me. However, the question now is it worth $50 p/p? IMO the answer is no, however, I have spent more $$ and been to places that I would never go again, so who knows. I think they should consider tiered pricing; $20-$25 for just visiting and doing your own thing, and a higher priced package that is all inclusive.

I hope their current pricing strategy does not put them out of business; what a shame that would be. The only reason that I can think of for their current pricing is that they have unannounced plans to "get into bed" with the cruise lines to offer packages through them; for $75 of coarse:rolleyes:.

I hope their current pricing strategy does not put them out of business; what a shame that would be. The only reason that I can think of for their current pricing is that they have unannounced plans to "get into bed" with the cruise lines to offer packages through them; for $75 of coarse:rolleyes:.

This is exactly what they are currently working on.. When we were there in Sept some of the employees said they had a few more updates to get accomplished, mainly handicap access and then it would be a Carnival excursion. They made it sound like it would take place after the 1st of the year. :(

I was there when pjtulsa was there.

At the time, I decided I'd pay the $50pp when we go back in May.

But not if it's a Carnival excursion...no way. The reason I loved it was because it was so uncrowded. It would really be unpleasant with 200 people there. No thanks.

We were there 9/23/09 and had a wonderful time!!

Snorkeling was GREAT, went out once alone then another further out with a guide, Ross. He's awesome! My husband followed 2 tailing large triggerfish all through the shallow beach area. I was busy checking out a lobster, several sea urchins, lots of little pretty fish out deeper.

Had a guided tour with Dr Fleming, DVM since he takes care of all the animals on the island. Told us all about the animals in the rescue. All come from Honduras due to confiscation, abuse, abandonment or just running free. The jaguar there was found running loose!!! Several large/medium cat species, monkeys, macaws, parrots, baby crocs, sharks, sea lions, stingrays and more. They also have mayan ruin replicates along with a museum of sorts for education. There plan is to eventually have a 'city' made so that visitors can see what the locals make for trade, have some people there making those items, and in turn can sell them too. The city is built within the ruins with thatched roofs, etc. Just working on the final prep.

This was by far my favorite day of the whole cruise and YES I believe it is worth the $50 when the money is being put towards conservation & education of visitors about the land/people/culture of Honduras (isn't that why many people travel to these countries anyway..to see & learn about it??). I know many of you just want to sit at the beach and chill. Completely get that and understand the frustration for the price increase. They seem VERY eager to please however the owner is who we need to be talking to. It is the same person who own Anthony's Key Resort on the other side of the island.

I am disappointed if they are truly working on this becoming a Carnival stop though. It will take away from the quaintness of the resort and the snorkeling won't be as good with all of the traffic. I was hoping to take my boys back someday but not sure if I will suffer through the too many people craziness. grrrr!

It is the preferred place for Carnival employees to go on their time off, as mentioned by someone before. There were several ladies there that worked for Carnival.

Peggy

For a family of 5 (3 teens) I still was seriously thinking of paying the $50 pp to go and have a very quiet beach day. BUT, I am not going until August 2010 and will not pay now since if it turns into an excursion through the cruiseline, I will not go.

A beach excursion through any cruiseline is the last place I want to relax for the day.

Thanks.

When we were in Roatan last September we tought of going there but changed our mind. Instead we went to Fosters Beach which was at the West End after a tour of the Island. The beach was beautiful and we were just about the only ones there. It cost $5 to get in, but you got a coupon for a free drink. We had a late lunch at the bar/restaurant and it was really good Mexican food. There is no pool, but I don't go a beach for a pool, have one in my backyard. We have been to a lot of Islands and a lot of beaches, this one was a really good one beautiful sand, clean and a nice slow entry. Did not snorkle so can't comment. We are going back in Dec and going to the same beach.

I know that there are many people that are disappointed in what has happened the past few weeks in regards to Fins & Flippers, now called Maya Key. The primary complaints are that the prices have doubled (and they have), and the possibility that Maya Key will soon be affiliated in some matter with a cruise line (or lines).

I remember while I was lying under a palm tree next to the beach when we visited what was then Fins & Flippers last February, that I could not understand how they could develop, expand, and maintain such a great property with only a handful of daily visitors, and charge only $20-$25 per person. If each of us are fair, you will probably realize what I did at the time; it was not possible. You cannot have a great and expanding tourist attraction and still be profitable at those prices. Therefore, I think we "were the lucky ones."

We were the lucky ones to visit and enjoy a developing jewel in the western Caribbean at a price that was unusually low for Caribbean attractions, while at the same time helping F&F with the monetary resources, and time, they needed to evolve into Maya Key.

We were the lucky ones because though our friends on this forum we were able to find that "almost secret" hideaway from all the normal tourist traps. Where else did you see F&F advertised, or even mentioned?

So now we "are the lucky ones" that can help explain to first time Roatan visitors what to expect at Maya Key. That they will be able to step off their cruise ship and walk just a very short distance to a large boat that will carry them directly over to an unexpected piece of paradise. Maybe 10 minutes from cruise ship to paradise. How many other Caribbean ports-of-call are there that you can do that? I have been to many ports in the Caribbean, and there are very few where you can be transformed so quickly and easily. (Hopefully, there will be capacity controls put in place to make sure that a huge ship does not flood Maya Key with people and overwhelm it; ruining the experience for all.)

Yes, the price have gone up, however, consider other Caribbean ports. Can you think of many (any) that offer such a high-quality experience for $50. I have been to a bunch (I love to use technical terms!), including several of the popular ones in Cancun, and I cannot remember any that provided any better dollar value when all the costs are added up. Some of the popular ones in Cancun costs a good portion of Maya Key's fee just for the taxi ride! Yes, some even included food as part of the package, but most were poor at best while Maya Key's was excellent.

I did not write this essay to try to get people to go to Maya Key ("I have no dog in that hunt"), but to try to help everyone keep things in perspective. We "were the lucky ones" now we have to be "the lucky ones" and help what I believe to still be a jewel tourist attraction grow into a stop that all of us can highly recommend (while still remembering the good old days;)).

We just returned from Fins N Flippers and all thought it was fantastic and the best excursion of the trip. We also did cave tubing in Belize and Twister/Passion Island in Cozumel. Yes, we only paid the $20, but all agreed that even at the $50 new rate, it still represents a great value which we highly recommend and would do again in a heartbeat. I realize several posters on this site and a tripadvisor site are really bashing them for their price increase, but without hesitation book this as the snorkelling was incredible. We saw all kinds of tropical fish, hog and yellowtail snapper, lobster, octopus, barracuda, mackeral, etc. It was incredible snorkelling the edge of the reef and along the drop. Fins N Feathers was a steal at $20 and still a great value at $50. For those who who think the $50 is too much..... GET REAL! as there arent many excursions that offer so much for this price.

I think that EVERYONE that has been to "Fins & Flippers" are all in agreement that it is a WONDERFUL place and most would return even when the price increases... What worries many of us is that when the price increase goes into effect it will also officially be a "Carnival" Excursions with Hundreds of passengers there instead of a few dozen... I don't think this is a just a rumor as we were told they were preparing for it when we were there in Sept.

Yes, maybe we were spoiled on our first visits but I don't think anyone can realistically think that it will be the same once Carnival takes hold & drops that many people there :confused:

I think that EVERYONE that has been to "Fins & Flippers" are all in agreement that it is a WONDERFUL place and most would return even when the price increases... What worries many of us is that when the price increase goes into effect it will also officially be a "Carnival" Excursions with Hundreds of passengers there instead of a few dozen... I don't think this is a just a rumor as we were told they were preparing for it when we were there in Sept.

Yes, maybe we were spoiled on our first visits but I don't think anyone can realistically think that it will be the same once Carnival takes hold & drops that many people there :confused:

Exactly.

I was thisclose to booking but will now wait. I do not want to go if it is a criuseline excursion. I would spend $250 to have a peaceful day with my family and say we enjoyed a great day. BUT, I will not do this if it is a cruiseline excursion.

I do not disagree with pjtulsa or js about their main concern of F&F being overwhelmed by a large number of cruise passenger (regardless of which line/ship). However, my basic concern remains; even though I know nothing about F&F finances it is obvious to me they either had to; 1) increase prices, 2) increase the number of visitors dramatically, 3) more likely, do both, 4) go bankrupt. I see no way that F&F could maintain and improve such a great property without more money. Of the four possible choices that I listed, I am sure that we can all agree that #4 would be "a bad thing" for everyone.

When we were in Roatan last September we tought of going there but changed our mind. Instead we went to Fosters Beach which was at the West End after a tour of the Island. The beach was beautiful and we were just about the only ones there. It cost $5 to get in, but you got a coupon for a free drink. We had a late lunch at the bar/restaurant and it was really good Mexican food. There is no pool, but I don't go a beach for a pool, have one in my backyard. We have been to a lot of Islands and a lot of beaches, this one was a really good one beautiful sand, clean and a nice slow entry. Did not snorkle so can't comment. We are going back in Dec and going to the same beach.

Darn LoveJake...Was hoping no one would find out about Foster's as it is the best thing going on Roatan and so uncrowded...Anyway they have one on West End and one on West Bay and we are trying to head there in February

The price increase is due to all our new additions that we have made to our facility. Included in the price is the beach/pool, snorkeling, bar/grill, use of lounge chairs, and picnic area, restrooms and outdoor showers, we have included 9 more acres to the facility which is a 66% increase, a tour of the replica of the Maya Ruins, Interpretation center, Maya art now and then center, and a wildlife rescue center.

Yes it's a increase in price but it is still a good value for what you are getting. And everyone has really enjoyed the facility when they have visited.

I am sorry to hear that you are going to cancel, and hope that you would reconsider your visit to Maya Key/Fins n Flippers, we really do have a wonderful facility that is just across the harbor from the cruise ship pier.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I could answer for you.

Cindy Carter

Maya Key/Fins n Flippers

Manager

When you say 'included in the price...bar/grill...." Does that mean food and drink is included? If so this would make your price increase more realistic

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from Fins N Flippers and all thought it was fantastic and the best excursion of the trip. We also did cave tubing in Belize and Twister/Passion Island in Cozumel. Yes, we only paid the $20, but all agreed that even at the $50 new rate, it still represents a great value which we highly recommend and would do again in a heartbeat. I realize several posters on this site and a tripadvisor site are really bashing them for their price increase, but without hesitation book this as the snorkelling was incredible. We saw all kinds of tropical fish, hog and yellowtail snapper, lobster, octopus, barracuda, mackeral, etc. It was incredible snorkelling the edge of the reef and along the drop. Fins N Feathers was a steal at $20 and still a great value at $50. For those who who think the $50 is too much..... GET REAL! as there arent many excursions that offer so much for this price.

Couldn't have said it any better...when we went, thought the price was rediculous...while I loved paying the lower amount, no problem with the new one. Water, wall and critters were worth that.

Couldn't have said it any better...when we went, thought the price was rediculous...while I loved paying the lower amount, no problem with the new one. Water, wall and critters were worth that.

I think some of you are missing what others of us are saying...:confused:

It is currently a steal, however when Carnival adds it as one of their excursions, which They Are IN The Process of Doing it will NO LONGER be the same excursion that you experienced and therefore will not be the bargain you are expecting. You simply can't compare 20-30 people being there with 200+ and expect to have the same experience. This is just my opinion, some of you may Love to be surrounded by Large Herds of people while paying $50 but for me I think I can find somewhere more peaceful for less...

Exactly, pjtulsa!!

What is there....about 20 chairs around the pool?

I just can not imagine how crowded it will be, even on the beach!

Also, I don't see how their bar/grill can handle that many people.

It will be real interesting to hear about the experiences once it becomes a Carnival excursion.....and it will be a Carnival excursion.

Plus dont be surprised one bit once the contract is finalized that you wont even be able to pay the 50 dollars and book direct. I got dollars to donuts that says once the contract is signed on day the ship is in port you can ONLY book it thru the ship at a cost of 119 dollars.

How would all of this work with Mahogany Bay opening? I would think majority of the crowds would just stay close to the docks. I would give up the nice swimming beach for the better snorkelling beach. Then Fins & Flippers/MayaKey would still stay relatively quiet.

How would all of this work with Mahogany Bay opening? I would think majority of the crowds would just stay close to the docks. I would give up the nice swimming beach for the better snorkelling beach. Then Fins & Flippers/MayaKey would still stay relatively quiet.

Maybe when only Carnival ships are in but other cruise lines dock at Coxen Hole. So the proximity is still the attraction. Whether or not other cruise lines strike deals with MayaKey or not remains to be seen.

Coral Cay is over in the vicinity of where the new Mahagoney Bay beach is located. Very pristine and under used. But accessing their website has been difficult. So not sure they are still operating.

Archived