You must have carseat in miami!!

asylum575

We just got back from a weekend cruise on the SKY. Everything was great except for the transportation to and from MIA. We were flat out refused a cab at the airport, we asked 4 different cabbies and they all said no. We were traveling with a niece(12), DS(5) and DD(19months). We've been cruising for some time and my DS has 5 cruises under his belt. This has never happened. The taxi dispatcher at the airport told me it was totally at the driver's discretion and none of them would do it.

We ended up taking the SuperShuttle to HI-POM. It was $48, :eek:. The taxi fare is normally half of that:mad:.

The driver we got at the hotel to the port gave us no trouble.

At the POM, the driver was hesitant. He even asked if I had a car seat for the baby. He took us anyway and I gave him $40 on a $24 flat fare. I didn't want to relive the MIA experience.

I don't blame the drivers at all. I understand it is a safety issue and if the taxi commission is targeting them with enforcement, I understand. Now, what I'd like to see is taxis with built in seats or a small seat in the trunk. Seems to me it would be an inexpensive investment and charge people $10 for it's use. I would gladly have paid $10.

I cannot explain the hassle it was at the airport. We were tired and hot and just wanted to get to the hotel.

We just got back from a weekend cruise on the SKY. Everything was great except for the transportation to and from MIA. We were flat out refused a cab at the airport, we asked 4 different cabbies and they all said no. We were traveling with a niece(12), DS(5) and DD(19months). We've been cruising for some time and my DS has 5 cruises under his belt. This has never happened. The taxi dispatcher at the airport told me it was totally at the driver's discretion and none of them would do it.

We ended up taking the SuperShuttle to HI-POM. It was $48, :eek:. The taxi fare is normally half of that:mad:.

The driver we got at the hotel to the port gave us no trouble.

At the POM, the driver was hesitant. He even asked if I had a car seat for the baby. He took us anyway and I gave him $40 on a $24 flat fare. I didn't want to relive the MIA experience.

I don't blame the drivers at all. I understand it is a safety issue and if the taxi commission is targeting them with enforcement, I understand. Now, what I'd like to see is taxis with built in seats or a small seat in the trunk. Seems to me it would be an inexpensive investment and charge people $10 for it's use. I would gladly have paid $10.

I cannot explain the hassle it was at the airport. We were tired and hot and just wanted to get to the hotel.

Is't the same in your city???I doint think any city in USA kids can go to cab with no seat.Because of this we book hotels with pick up service or rent a car with seat.

Hmmm - we will be getting off our cruise and needing to get from POM to MIA in January with a 30 month old. I wasn't planning on bringing the seat. I guess we will probably need to book a shuttle.

I sort of figured that some taxis had car seats or at least car seats available.

I guess it makes sense they wouldn't want to use up their trunk space on car seats .

Would love to hear other people's experience with travelling with no car seat.

Hmmm - we will be getting off our cruise and needing to get from POM to MIA in January with a 30 month old. I wasn't planning on bringing the seat. I guess we will probably need to book a shuttle.

I sort of figured that some taxis had car seats or at least car seats available.

I guess it makes sense they wouldn't want to use up their trunk space on car seats .

Would love to hear other people's experience with travelling with no car seat.

I would recomend shuttle any way,its really hard to get a cab in ports after cruise,with a baby I prefer not to have this truble

Since the car seat question comes up constantly on this board, perhaps you can let other posters know. Was your experience trying to get a cab without bringing the appropriate child restraints more of a hassle, then just bringing the seats in the first place?

Can't blame the cabs; this is the law in Florida and in pretty much the rest of the country. They could lose their license.

I have been in many cabs and have never ever seen a cab with a car seat. Perhaps consider a car service that can supply the seat if you don't want to bring yours.

As a native NY'er I can honestly say I have never seen a car seat in a taxi. I never knew this was an issue in other cities, as it is definitely not an issue in NY. In fact, many taxi drivers won't stop if you have a car seat, as they don't want to deal with the hassle.

Since the car seat question comes up constantly on this board, perhaps you can let other posters know. Was your experience trying to get a cab without bringing the appropriate child restraints more of a hassle, then just bringing the seats in the first place?

Can't blame the cabs; this is the law in Florida and in pretty much the rest of the country. They could lose their license.

As I originally posted, I don't blame the drivers, I understand the law. Here in NY, it's just not enforced.

When my DS was younger, we never had a problem because my father lived in the Ft Laud area and he kept a carseat for us.

So as to respond to your question?

"Was your experience trying to get a cab without bringing the appropriate child restraints more of a hassle, then just bringing the seats in the first place?"

I'd prefer my father to still be alive, but since that's not an option I'd prefer to arrange a shuttle.

I was caught by surprise at MIA

Is't the same in your city???I doint think any city in USA kids can go to cab with no seat.Because of this we book hotels with pick up service or rent a car with seat.

It's not enforced in NYC, in fact as someone already posted. NYC taxis will pass you by if they see a carseat. Go figure.

When my DS was younger, we never had a problem because my father lived in the Ft Laud area and he kept a carseat for us.

So as to respond to your question?

"Was your experience trying to get a cab without bringing the appropriate child restraints more of a hassle, then just bringing the seats in the first place?"

I'd prefer my father to still be alive, but since that's not an option I'd prefer to arrange a shuttle.

I was caught by surprise at MIA

Very confusing answer; not sure what you father has to do with anything.

I am guessing your answer is that you would prefer to book a shuttle, not bring a car seat.

I'm so glad you posted this; we are going there in November and I wasn't planning on bringing the car seats.

Apparently the hotel I booked does not have a shuttle (argh! -- but my own darn fault).

Anyone have a shuttle company they would recommend? We would need:

MIA to hotel

hotel to POM

We are disembarking in San Diego -- any shuttle recommendations there (to the airport)?

Wondering to myself if this would be as much of an issue for the taxis with older kids...say, a 4 or a 6 YO? Any experience/s regarding such a situation?

I found this while googling for myself this morning -- I think it's saying that a 4 y.o. or older wearing a seat belt will "pass". But then again, the first part about if you are 5 years or younger you have to use a "federally approved child restraint device" confuses me. My guess is that it will come down to the judgment of the individual cab driver and how big your child is will probably play a big part.

(Bolding is mine.)

Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

Quoted from http://flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC613.HTM&Title=-%3E2003-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20613

In California, there are strict rules about using car seats. I didn't stop using a booster seat for my school-aged child until I got her pediatrician's okay (at every well-kid visit, she always asks parents if they are still using a car seat or booster).

When we travel, we have always brought along her car seat (or booser, when she was old enough for that). My hubby even got a large duffel bag that we used for transportating it when not in use (like carrying it onto the ship).

When she was three, and taking her on her first flight, we bought her a seat and checked in the seat as baggage. You can also check the airlines' rules to see if you can use the car seat (if it'll fit in the plane seat). We didn't want to risk hitting turbulance and having her fly out of our arms.

Some rental car agencies will rent a car seat for use in your rental.

But what to do if you plan to go from your downtown-hotel to southbeach (just to enjoy the beach and the art-deco-buildings for example).

I can´t believe that I have to carry around DS´s carseat the whole day :confused: ?

Airport - Hotel and Hotel - Port is no problem, but during sightseeing???

But what to do if you plan to go from your downtown-hotel to southbeach (just to enjoy the beach and the art-deco-buildings for example).

I can´t believe that I have to carry around DS´s carseat the whole day :confused: ?

Airport - Hotel and Hotel - Port is no problem, but during sightseeing???

Believe it. Cab drivers aren't going to break the law and possibly lose their license for one fare.

If you don't want to take the car seat, you can take the bus from downtown to South Beach. There is a great bus that cost .25 per person in SB and you can ride it all over the place; no car seat needed. In fact, you can see lots of interesting sights on the bus itself! Just watch the other passengers, especially the ones who get on in front of the police station.

What do you all think I have been saying for the past TWO YEARS on this board???? ;)

The taxi drivers in Miami ask "Where's your car seat?"

And you all just thought I made it up...LOL. :p:D

As with the never ending indignation that their children aren't going to be allowed in the ship's pool wearing a swim diaper, I guess sometimes people don't think the rules apply to them. That, or they thought you were just being "mean".

If you don't want to take the car seat, you can take the bus from downtown to South Beach. There is a great bus that cost .25 per person in SB and you can ride it all over the place; no car seat needed. In fact, you can see lots of interesting sights on the bus itself! Just watch the other passengers, especially the ones who get on in front of the police station.

Yes, I know about the bus, thanks for your advice.

But we thought about having dinner (News Cafe or something like that) and taking a cab for the way "home" (Intercontinental Downtown).

I´m not sure if I want to use the bus in the dark :confused: !

Yes, I know about the bus, thanks for your advice.

But we thought about having dinner (News Cafe or something like that) and taking a cab for the way "home" (Intercontinental Downtown).

I´m not sure if I want to use the bus in the dark :confused: !

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought there was a tone there.:rolleyes:

Archived