Who Else Has Mixed Feelings About Oasis?

temple1

Are you conflicted about Oasis?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. Are you conflicted about Oasis?

• Not at all, can't wait to be the first to board!
    • Yes, I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
    • Not at all, I will never set foot on the floating amusement park!
    • Not sure, I don't think I'm conflicted, but I don't think I care.

I dread the effect ships of this size will have on the already overcrowded ports. Not for me.

I agree.

I'll admit some curiosity and would love to take a tour of the ship. However, I have NO interest in sailing with 5400 people!!!! In fact, my cruise planning for the future will include where this thing will be. I don't want to be near a port where it IS. St. Thomas is already a mess as is Nassau and St. Maarten...5000+ people isn't going to improve anything....except the economy of those places.

I wonder about this ship during hurricane season also. It's not as if they can change the itinerary and dock someplace else....or drop anchor somewhere and tender ashore. I see lots of cruises to nowhere or "7-day" cruises at sea in it's future.

I find the idea of Oasis very intriguing. It would be an experience to see. However, that said, I don't like what a ship like this portends for the future of cruising, which I love. I recently read an article in Ocean Cruise News of the food venues on Oasis. Of the 13 venues listed 7 or 8 were extra tarrif venues. Cruising is fast becoming a resort on the American plan, where to really have the full experience your cost is much higher than the cost of the cruise. I read these boards and read the complaints about the "dumbing down" of the food offered in the MDR. Obviously RCL is going for the WOW factor with this ship. I'm afraid that eventually the only thing included in the price of a cruise will be the buffet. Every thing else will be an add on.

I was tempted to vote never set foot on it because I'm a sail for the ports person. Oasis/Allure are simply too big to get to most of the places that I haven't been to yet. However, I figured if I said NEVER then I would end up on it eventually so I voted for not caring.

Can you imagine the embarking and disembarking the ship? Getting 5000+ people on and off the ship will be an ordeal in itself.

Chairman's blog says the goal is 15 minutes from curb to ship for embarkation. http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=477

Can't wait to sail on Oasis....I'll zipline across Central Park, have dinner in a wonderful restaurant, see the ice show and then do some star gazing on our balcony. I love that I can have it all....shows, fun AND ocean views and relaxation! While in St Martin, we are taking a snorkel excursion and also going to St John to snorkel, so no missing out on the snorkeling. :)

I happily booked a year ago now and got a great price! It sure has gone up since bookings first opened.

That stupid Carousel put it over the top for me. I think the whole cruising experience is lost with the size and all the "Extras" that are in store $$$. Then to top it off its way to overpriced and I am sure they will take "nickel & diming you" to a whole new level.....

Curiosity got the better of me. That is why DH and I are sailing on it this coming June. We selected the Eastern Caribbean since we have been there several times. This way we can take in the ports at a leasurely pace and enjoy the ship when everyone is in port. As I am very excited about the ship I can see the other side of the coin. Well, I guess only time will tell how everything works out with the Oasis and I am looking forward to the reviews from everyone sailing before us. She definately has a lot to offer.:D

probably heresy, but I just think she's so . . . ugly! I really like to go to the ports and I love falling asleep and waking up in another place, so until they upgrade many of the smaller, more exotic ports, I will stick to the smaller ships. Plus, you can't beat the prices:)

I am with you. But I don't want them to upgrade the smaller more exotic ports. It would ruin them. Can you imagine Bequia with the Oasis in the harbor?

On a ship like Oasis or Allure, I doubt we would even bother getting off the ship at the ports. They'll be so much to do and explore on board.

which would totally negate the reason to cruise for me. I get how people want to do, and see, and stay busy on the ship and all that, but it's about being at sea and actually travelling for me. all the other stuff is for those needing it, I just need a deck chair, and I don't want it any where near the pool. I don't need the distractions/time fillers, whatever.

that's why there are different ships, different itineraries, eh?

Each year...more and more folks are taking a cruise. RCI has built a ship that is an alternative to Disney World and other land based attractions. The OASIS OF THE SEAS will have mass appeal for the people who are looking to do something different. For those of us who are veteran cruise junkies, the OASIS is great...it will free up some space on our other favorite RCI vessels...and allow us to take longer more leisurely cruises on some of our favorite ships. So I say HOORAH for the OASIS...even if some us never do sail on her.

I am a little mixed on this one. As others have said, we enjoy cruising because we like the idea of being on the ocean. Especially when you get that feeling that you are thousands of miles away from anywhere! So I wonder if a ship this large will have that same feeling. If not, I doubt I would like the Oasis that much.

On the other hand, I love sea days and don't think I like port intensive cruises. We have done one so far on the Pride of America in Hawaii and will be doing Carnival Victory in September. On both of these you cruise at night and arrive each morning at another port. I remember on the POA, for me it almost didnt feel like a cruise. We will see how I like the southern Caribbean port intensive cruise.

I guess its just nice to have choices.

I hope it will be wonderful, as we are booked on for 4 weeks back to back, from the inaugeral through to Christmas and New Year.

Wow, you might be able to find your way around that huge ship by the time you get off the last week.:D

Chairman's blog says the goal is 15 minutes from curb to ship for embarkation. http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=477

Can't wait to sail on Oasis....I'll zipline across Central Park, have dinner in a wonderful restaurant, see the ice show and then do some star gazing on our balcony. I love that I can have it all....shows, fun AND ocean views and relaxation! While in St Martin, we are taking a snorkel excursion and also going to St John to snorkel, so no missing out on the snorkeling. :)

I happily booked a year ago now and got a great price! It sure has gone up since bookings first opened.

Have a great time! Let us all know how everything goes, especially embarking and disembarking.:) It will be interesting, I'm sure.

After going on the Voyager of the Seas and then going on the Freedom of the Seas, (these ships are a lot more alike than different) I felt the Freedom was very crowded in comparison. I really enjoyed it but I did feel "crowded" I can only imagine the people on Oasis. I'm waiting for the reviews to decide.

I'm curious as well and would like to at least see the ship. But it's kind of like being curious about a train wreck, though. It's too much, with way too many people, and way too gimicky for my tastes. Zip lining? On a ship? Is that really necessary? And that bar that moves up and down. What's the point of that. The clincher, however, was that they seriously considered a tethered helium blimp for rides! They even tested it until the damn thing broke loose and drifted away only to be found several days later. What the hell were they thinking when they came up with that idea? What's next, live rodeos? How about Nascar races? Or maybe an aircraft carrier style launching pad for that extra rush - all at extra cost, of course. I'd rather go to Disney World if it's an amusement park I want to spend my time in.

Rick

The so called innovative features that Oasis have to offer that can be found at the run of the mill amuesment park and cannot compete with Six Flags let alone Disney World.Cruising is for Cruising.We like doing some of the things Oasis has to offer but those things can be done bigger,better and much cheaper going to Busch Gardens or Hershey Park which are only a 3 hour drive.The balcony inside is equivlent to the budget rooms at a land based hotel

:cj

Great responses everyone. So far the survey has confirmed my thoughts. Many CC'ers are pretty evenly divided between love/hate with a good representation of the - wait and see.

So now, sit back and see what the reviews have to say.

I've posted before that I live an hour from a boardwalk and ocean/beaches and see Central Park 5 days a week:rolleyes:. For me, the only thing that might be cool is the zip line but do I want to stand in line with 5,000 people waiting to zip across a cruise ship deck? Not really very thrilling. It's like when they have the bunji jumping cranes at carnivals - just 'eh'. I also don't get the carousel (I don't have kids, though) or the giant water fountain - is that all it does? Is it like the bellagio or at Caesars Atlantic City? That would get super old super quick, for me. Seems like a giant waste of space....

I guess it just seems like a giant gimmicky carnival or something. Or maybe like the cruise to nowhere ships that leave the NYC port, you know? I actually just discovered the Epic from another thread and that looks much closer to something I'd enjoy. Cirque, Blue Man, cool, interesting clubs and restaurants, beautiful subdued, interesting staterooms, Wii, bowling, climbing walls - not glitzy and overdone but a little classier than the Oasis, I think. I'm trying to talk my bf into putting a deposit down for it!:D

We have been planning to cruise on it since my husband first heard it was going to be built. So we are sailing in August 2010. I am very excited because I love to cruise! HOWEVER as far as the "malls" While I love to shop I am NOT into brand names and such. SO while people are excited about a "Coach"store and stuff like that I'm looking to see where the ice cream will be :). It does make a me a bit uncomfortable that it will be so Large. I hope it still feels like a cruise! Also I have less than no sense of direction so I'm thinking of having a tracking device put in my arm so my family can find me when I get lost on board...LOL:eek:

Thanks again for your responses and especially participation in my little informal poll.

This was supposed to be on the general RCCL page, but the PTB did not agree. Apparantly some seem to think that if it has Oasis in the title it belongs here, whether it does or doesn't. My intent for this was to get responses from ALL RCCL cruisers. I feel the folks who are less enthusiastic about the new ships are not as likely to visit this area of the board. So there input to the poll and their comments about why they feel as they do will not be a part.

By less enthusiastic, I do not mean just the ones who think Oasis is a horrible idea, but folks like me, who are not sure it is the right choice for themselves.

So, thanks, until the move the vote was pretty even between love/hate with about the same number evenly divided between conflicted and don't care.

I say different strokes for different folks. We're just excited to experience something new. Each cruise line, ship, and even each sailing date will give a different experience. A cruise is all about having fun or relaxing the way you see fit. Yeah, there's a few gimmicky attractions on Oasis, but the original intent of the newest class was to try something new and see if they could give something for everyone. You're bound to find some features that would not appeal to you. Personally, I'd rather read an unattractive book from end to end rather than not reading it and always wonder what if I did. You may be pleasantly surprised. Life's too short and you never know when it's your time to go. Might as well experience everything you can while you can.

I've posted before that I live an hour from a boardwalk and ocean/beaches and see Central Park 5 days a week:rolleyes:. For me, the only thing that might be cool is the zip line but do I want to stand in line with 5,000 people waiting to zip across a cruise ship deck? Not really very thrilling. It's like when they have the bunji jumping cranes at carnivals - just 'eh'. I also don't get the carousel (I don't have kids, though) or the giant water fountain - is that all it does? Is it like the bellagio or at Caesars Atlantic City? That would get super old super quick, for me. Seems like a giant waste of space....

I guess it just seems like a giant gimmicky carnival or something. Or maybe like the cruise to nowhere ships that leave the NYC port, you know? I actually just discovered the Epic from another thread and that looks much closer to something I'd enjoy. Cirque, Blue Man, cool, interesting clubs and restaurants, beautiful subdued, interesting staterooms, Wii, bowling, climbing walls - not glitzy and overdone but a little classier than the Oasis, I think. I'm trying to talk my bf into putting a deposit down for it!:D

Giant Water Fountain? Where is this? Certainly you aren't referring to the Aqua Theater, but if you are, there will be two aquatic shows with Olympic Divers, Swimmers and Gymnasts. The Oasis will be the only place on earth where you can see this shows. It will be like having to go to Las Vegas to see "O" or any of their resident productions.

The "Cirque" show you refer to is not Cirque du Soleil by the way. It is a Neil Goldberg show that copies Cirque.

The show in the Aqua Theater will be the real deal. :)

Archived