Southern Caribbean or Panama Cruise

MalNZ

We are looking at three different cruise itinerary's in April 2010.

Not sure which one to choose. Please help :o)

Either -

Southern Caribbean Noordam 24 April 2010

Considering the 10 or 20 day cruise

Southern Caribbean Maasdam 30 April 2010

14 Day Cruise

Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale to San Diego or Vancouver

20 April 2010 Zuiderdam

Considering the 14 or 18 day cruise

We are in our 50's but we will have our two grand daughers, aged 7 and 8 with us. We have sailed HAL before, and the kids loved the kids area, even though not large. It was the Veendam.

What are the ports and ships like in the above cruises?

The 10 or 20 day Southern Caribbean leaving on the 24th looks really good, but the 30th April cruise is alot cheaper, but has different ports.

My husband is more keen on doing the Panama cruise, I am not too sure, as this is the most expensive, and more Mexican ports than Caribbean.

We are coming along way, so would appreciate your comments.

Apparently the cheaper quad cabins are scarce so need to make a decision soon.

Mal NZ

I think everybody should do a Panama Canal transit at least once in their lifetime, if you haven't already. At the end of that one you'd be five hours of flying time closer to NZ too! :)

OTOH, the Noordam is my favorite ship, and on a 20 day b2b you'd get to see the most popular islands ...

We did the ten day Southern Caribbean cruise last November on the MS Noordam. If time is not an issue I would book the 20 day cruise; especially seeing the distance you are traveling to sail. The Noordam is a great ship and the back to back will give you the opportunity to see many of the Caribbean ports of call.

In my opinion, I would pick either the 20 day Noordam or 14 day Maasdam.

I would because of some the ports that the ships are going to.

Both offer ports that are great beach days (esp with Noordam with two stops in Half Moon Cay alone), shopping (St. Martin and St. Thomas), fewer cruiseships that stop (Martinique,Grenada,St. Bart) and natural wonders (St. Lucia and Tortola).

I don't have anything against the Panama cruise, but the Southern Caribbean offers so much more.

Also, I just love the Maasdam and of course I view her in a favor way!!

But you can't miss on either ship !!

Happy sailing!!

Of those....I have done a 7 day Caribbean and I have done the 18 day Ft Lauderdale to Seattle on the Amsterdam. I love the Caribbean....but the Panama Canal was very fascinating. If you are not going to have another opportunity I would recommend the Canal.......because it is so different....AND you are closer to home at the end.

I've done a full transit Panama Canal Cruise and while your GDs are relatively young, the narration and history provided is a good opportunity for them to learn history in person. If I could take my GCs, I would, but the younger is only 5 so I will wait until she is older and then hopefully take both of them.

You all are giving wonderful feedback to the other posters regarding their panama/caribbean itinerary. Could you give me your opinion about the following (it was difficult to pick as there were at least 4 canal cruises with HAL alone, forget talking any other cruiselines).

The one we picked was April 18, Ryndam, Tampa to Vancouver - 21 days. There seems to be alot different ports than the other itineraries (from what I can see).

Ports of Call: Tampa, Florida; Georgetown, Cayman Islands; Santa Marta, Colombia; San Blas Islands, Panama; Enter Panama Canal Cristobal; Exit Panama Canal Balboa; Fuerte Amador, Panama; Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica; Puerto Chiapas, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; San Diego, California; Victoria Canada; Vancouver, British Columbia

Thoughts?

Thanks for your replies.

Were then any kids on the Panama Cruise - as this seems a more mature cruise.

With the Southern Cruise - did you spend more as it is going to so many ports, or can you do your own thing without it costing much.

Are alot of the Ports similar? Are they all safe to visit with kids?

Appreciate your help.

Mal NZ

You all are giving wonderful feedback to the other posters regarding their panama/caribbean itinerary. Could you give me your opinion about the following (it was difficult to pick as there were at least 4 canal cruises with HAL alone, forget talking any other cruiselines).

The one we picked was April 18, Ryndam, Tampa to Vancouver - 21 days. There seems to be alot different ports than the other itineraries (from what I can see).

Ports of Call: Tampa, Florida; Georgetown, Cayman Islands; Santa Marta, Colombia; San Blas Islands, Panama; Enter Panama Canal Cristobal; Exit Panama Canal Balboa; Fuerte Amador, Panama; Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica; Puerto Chiapas, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; San Diego, California; Victoria Canada; Vancouver, British Columbia

Thoughts?

This sounds like an excellent itin. to me. San Blas Island is a really amazing cultural visit. I would do it.

Thanks for your replies.

Were then any kids on the Panama Cruise - as this seems a more mature cruise.

With the Southern Cruise - did you spend more as it is going to so many ports, or can you do your own thing without it costing much.

Are alot of the Ports similar? Are they all safe to visit with kids?

Appreciate your help.

Mal NZ

I can't recall many kids on an Panama Canal cruise I've gone on but they have been longer cruises during school time. I'm 48 and a lot of times I'm the youngster. I like this however....I work with lots of youngsters and when it's vacation time I'm happy to take a break from them.

We looked at the 18th April sailing also, but there were no good children prices, so it made it alot more expensive.

Is it difficult to get to Tampa from Daydona Beach?

Is there a port in Florida which is the best to leave from?

MalNZ

Tampa is as easy to get to as Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I don't think you will find many kids on any of those cruises. It is not vacation time here and the longer the cruise (more than 7 days), the fewer children.

You should surely see the Panama Canal at least once in your lifetime.

I know with the Alaskian HAL cruise we did the girls loved the kids club and were happy just being on the ship BUT I think that the Southern would also suit them better, as they love the beach. I imagine there is lots and lots of beach opportunities:)

MalNZ

I can't recall many kids on an Panama Canal cruise I've gone on but they have been longer cruises during school time. I'm 48 and a lot of times I'm the youngster. I like this however....I work with lots of youngsters and when it's vacation time I'm happy to take a break from them.

I know you are NOT a daycare worker :D Too funny!

All the cruises you mention are good. I would lean toward the Canal Transit but I must caution you there will be climate changes if you do. The weather will be hot all the way to Acapulco. After that the sea will get rather cool as you go North even if the ports are warm. By the time you get North of San Diego or LA up to Vancouver it will be quite chilly on the outside decks.

One more opinion...

We are taking 10 year old grandaughter on a cruise through the Panama canal this Nov. We chose the cruise for where we wanted to go and she is thrilled to be going along. She knows there probably be only a few kids on board but that will make her more special. We have talked about good manners and she is looking forward to afternoon teas, dressing for dinner, room service and shows.

I think little girls will be happy with whatever destination you choose.

Carribbean and Mexican ports don't have a lot of historical/ museums so they should keep the kids interest. They include excursions involving water, animals , jungles, banana plantations, bright colors etc.

Happy cruising

Marcia

Ibecruisen: the only port on your list that I would never go to again is: Acapulco. We did get a tour that went the see the cliff divers. That was the only thing we liked! Too many children begging and too many American franchises. It is a has been.

Our girls do not worry about where they are going, as long as they are on a ship :) We actually have full guardianship of our two grand daughters since they were babies, so where we go they go.

What are the seas like in April - can they get rough - if so - more the Panama cruise or Southern?

There is a Southern Cruise - 14 night on the 30 April on the Maasdam - this is an excellent value, but not going to St Maarten or St Thomas but to Half Moon Cay Bahamas, Tortola, St Bart, Martinique, Bridgetown, Grenada, Bonaire antilles,Curacao and Aruba - only has 4 days at sea.

What would this cruise be like, as good as the cruise on the Noordam on the 24th April?

MalNZ

It looks as it it will be the Caribbean Southern as more to our budget.

Which side of the ship is the best when picking a cabin?

Probably sounds a silly question, but wandered if one side had a better view. This is on the HAL Noordam cruise on the 24th April.

Thanks

Mal NZ

Which side of the ship is the best when picking a cabin?

Probably sounds a silly question, but wandered if one side had a better view.

There's really no way to predict that. I hope you enjoy "my" ship! :D

Archived