Advice travelling from Newark Penn Station to Manhattan

ryansmum

Hi,

Can anyone advise is the PATH train the best route from Newark Penn Station into Manhattan, our hotel is Comfort Inn Times Square on W39th Street.

Thanks.

Lorraine.

yep its a snap. You take the Path train to 33rd street and sixth avenue(its the last stop on the train marked 33rd street) and you walk about the half mile to the hotel....

its about 45 minutes on the PATH....Amtrak is faster but costs 10 times as much...and gets you to about the same place...

yep its a snap. You take the Path train to 33rd street and sixth avenue(its the last stop on the train marked 33rd street) and you walk about the half mile to the hotel....

its about 45 minutes on the PATH....Amtrak is faster but costs 10 times as much...and gets you to about the same place...

you have to change at Journal Sq or grove Street(its across the track)

http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

Can anyone advise is the PATH train the best route from Newark Penn Station into Manhattan, our hotel is Comfort Inn Times Square on W39th Street.

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question, so my answer might be a bit broad. I believe your hotel is on 39th Street at Eighth Avenue. From Penn Station Newark there are two rail options and one bus option into midtown Manhattan.

1. The fastest and most direct route is the New Jersey Transit commuter rail service. Trains operate regularly throughout the day, but you should check the schedule to determine the time of the next departure (generally, there's about 4 trains an hour on weekdays, 3 trains an hour on weekends). Travel time is about 20 minutes. The fare is $4.00 one-way, $7.00 round-trip. Buy tickets at Penn Station ticket window or machines to avoid a an on-board penalty fare. In midtown, trains terminate at New York Penn Station, Seventh Avenue at 32nd Street (7 blocks and 1 avenue from your hotel).

2. Not as fast but the least expensive option (and furthest from your hotel) is the PATH commuter rail service. Trains operate regularly throughout the day and you likely will not need to consult the schedule (generally, trains operate every 10 to 15 minutes apart). Travel time is 33 minutes on weekdays, 38 minutes on weekends. The fare is $1.75 one-way. Pay fare are turnstiles on the departure platform. Board any train at Newark, and when the train arrives at Journal Square (second stop) change trains by crossing the platform and boarding a train marked "33rd Street." In midtown, trains terminate at 33rd Street Station, Sixth Avenue at 32nd Street (7 blocks and 2 avenues from your hotel).

3. About the same travel time as PATH but more convenient (and more expensive) is the New Jersey Transit express bus service (route no. 108). Buses operate regularly throughout the day, but you should check the schedule to determine the time of the next departure (generally, there's one trip each hour). Travel time is 30 minutes. The fare is $4.40. Buy tickets at Penn Station ticket window or machines, or pay exact fare on-board with no penalty. In midtown, buses terminate at New York Port Authority Bus Terminal, Eighth Avenue at 41st Street (2 blocks from your hotel).

Please follow-up with any further questions.

http://www.njtransit.com

http://www.pathrail.com

Path is a great option, easy and efficient. Pay attention to the small signs at the top of the cars- WTC, 33rd etc. so you get on the right train. You also have to go through Hoboken on the weekends, adding more time.

Hi,

Thanks.

Lorraine.

I'm a little confused. There are 3 or 4 Comfort Inns in that area of Manhattan. I thought the one that is usually referred to as the Comfort Inn Times Square is on West 46th St, not W 39th St, but I may be wrong.

Regardless, I don't necessarily agree with the recommendation to take PATH over New Jersey Transit (Amtrak should not even be mentioned in my opinion). New Jersey Transit will be easier to use if you have luggage, and the fare is only $4 way ($7 roundtrip) as opposed to $1.75 one way ($3.50 round trip) on PATH, or only about twice as much...not 10 times as much.

With luggage, my vote is for NJ Transit.

I was walking around the west side this afternoon and I did indeed notice the Comfort Inn on 39th Street, just west of Eighth Avenue. The most convenient transportation to the hotel from downtown Newark is the New Jersey Transit bus (route no. 108) as it is a very short walk between the PABT and the hotel. The down side to the bus is that it only operates once hourly and it is expensive ($4.40). Penn Station is just a few blocks further away, but the combination of a faster trip on the train plus a longer walk to the hotel results in an overall travel time that is comparable. The train is a bit less expensive. The PATH train will be more of a walk, nothing unreasonable unless you're hauling heavy luggage, so if you're looking to enjoy walking in midtown you can certainly save a few dollars doing the PATH train.

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the info. We're on a Explorer cruise coming back into Cape Liberty and it was suggested before to take a cab to Newark Penn Station to get into Manhattan. We are staying one night pre cruise at County Inn & Suites at Elizabeth on their cruise/stay package. This includes round trip shuttle but this would take us back to the hotel or airport.

I think all these options seem excellent for price. I suppose we really are just looking for something that is going to be easy as possible for us to get into Manhattan with luggage but not pay out loads of money on a cab.

Many thanks.

Lorraine.

Path is a great option, easy and efficient. Pay attention to the small signs at the top of the cars- WTC, 33rd etc. so you get on the right train. You also have to go through Hoboken on the weekends, adding more time.

Budget Queen....I'm interested in this statement (in red).....are you saying that someone can get on PATH at Penn-Newark and travel directly to Hoboken station on weekends.....with the PATH travelling on to wherever it goes??

One wouldn't need to change trains at Journal or at Exchange Pl ?

I looked at the PATH schedule and it doesn't exactly say what you're saying....it says that on weekends it does go through Hoboken, but , from Journal station. I'm not sure if they are assuming that one is already on the PATH train from Newark-Penn.......or is assuming that one changes trains at Journal to get to Hoboken on weekends.

The reason I ask is that I'm wanting to go from Newark-Penn to Hoboken and I've received great advice from people on another thread, but no one mentioned that on weekends it was a direct trip.....I know I need to change trains if I go on a weekday.

I just wanted to clear it up, one way or another......believe me, I've learned alot and am so grateful for all the wonderful advice and knowledge sharing...:D

Joyce

I find nothing on the PATH schedule that you can go to Hoboken on the weekends from newark...they don't even have a train that does that shown on the map

trains from Nwk are a straight shot ending at the WTC......

that info from budget queen appears to be incorrect.....you can't get there on one train.................you will have to make at least one connection depending on where you choose to connect...(it you can go to exchange place and switch once...OR Journal Sq or grove street, switch to Pavonia Newport and switch to hoboken.

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the info. We're on a Explorer cruise coming back into Cape Liberty and it was suggested before to take a cab to Newark Penn Station to get into Manhattan. We are staying one night pre cruise at County Inn & Suites at Elizabeth on their cruise/stay package. This includes round trip shuttle but this would take us back to the hotel or airport.

I think all these options seem excellent for price. I suppose we really are just looking for something that is going to be easy as possible for us to get into Manhattan with luggage but not pay out loads of money on a cab.

Many thanks.

Lorraine.

you can go back to the airport, get off at any terminal (as for the arrivals level) and hop a cab to Newark Penn station, or just get one from the pier...whichever. but since you paid for round trip transportation, you may as well use it unless you're really pressed for time.

I find nothing on the PATH schedule that you can go to Hoboken on the weekends from newark...they don't even have a train that does that shown on the map

that info from budget queen appears to be incorrect.....you can't get there on one train.................you will have to make at least one connection depending on where you choose to connect...(it you can go to exchange place and switch once...OR Journal Sq or grove street, switch to Pavonia Newport and switch to hoboken.

That's what you told me, Megr1125, and that's what I see on the map, as well. Perhaps Budget Queen is thinking of something else, or another time.

Thank you for clearing that up!! One cannot be too clear on these things.......LOL :D

If one is not taking NJ TRANSIT (which is the direct ride) to get to the hotel from Newark Penn, and is taking PATH instead, two trains and one connection are necessary. You'd want to take the WTC-bound PATH train to Journal Square or Grove Street and transfer to the 33rd Street-bound train. The WTC station is located in Manhattan but a completely different part of Manhattan, and 33rd Street is much closer.

The "Hoboken" issue is: on Weekends (and 11pm-6am weeknights), the train from Journal Square/Grove Street makes an additional stop in Hoboken on its way to 33rd Street station. This added stop adds about 5-6 minutes to the travel time since in addition to regular station stop time, given the way the PATH tracks are laid out, the train has to switch directions in the Hoboken Station to continue to 33rd Street. So the train sits in Hoboken for 3 minutes or so while the PATH engineer and conductor shut down the controls at one end of the train, walk the length of the platform, and set up shop at the other end of the train. During the week, PATH runs seperate lines Hoboken-33rd and Journal Sq/Grove St-33rd, which is why this only occurs on nights and weekends.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Lorraine.

It would probably be a bit faster, perhaps less expensive, to travel by taxi from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port into Bayonne or Jersey City, then Coach USA bus or PATH from Bayonne or Jersey City into Manhattan. For PATH, the closest station with direct service into midtown is Grove Street (but all the stations in Jersey City are pretty close to one another). For Coach USA the closest stop is on J.F. Kennedy Blvd at 32nd Street (southeast corner).

The Coach USA bus, like New Jersey Transit buses, terminates at Port Authority Bus Terminal, two blocks away from your hotel. The fare is $4.00 (exact fare required), and the taxi ride from the port to this bus stop is the least expensive fare option. Get the bus schedule here: http://www.coachusa.com (search for Bayonne, N.J. to New York, N.Y.). There's no underfloor luggage bays on these buses, so you won't be able to carry excessive luggage on board.

The taxi rates to the Jersey City hotels have been quoted at $50-$60, so I would imagine a cab to Journal Square or Grove St. would be similar in price to a cab to Newark Penn Station $45-$50. There would be elevators and escalators at Journal Square. At Grove St. you would have to carry your luggage down 2 sets of stairs. The bus from Bayonne would be the cheapest - the cab fare to Broadway in Bayonne is supposed to be about $8-$10, but as GTJ points out, there are no luggage racks on the buses. Newark Penn Station would be accessible by elevator or escalator as would Penn Station NY. There would be red caps at Penn Station to assist you to a cab if necessary.

you can go back to the airport, get off at any terminal (as for the arrivals level) and hop a cab to Newark Penn station, or just get one from the pier...whichever. but since you paid for round trip transportation, you may as well use it unless you're really pressed for time.

Hi,

Sorry guys finding this a bit confusing - there are so many options.

1. Can I just check will we be much cheaper taking the shuttle back to the airport and then getting a cab to Newark Penn Station - any ideas of cost?

2. How much a cab would be roughly from the pier to Newark Penn?

3. If we decide to take the free shuttle and are already at the airport would we be quicker getting transportation from the airport into Manhattan? Any ideas of cost?

Thanks.

Lorraine.

Hi,

Sorry guys finding this a bit confusing - there are so many options.

1. Can I just check will we be much cheaper taking the shuttle back to the airport and then getting a cab to Newark Penn Station - any ideas of cost?

2. How much a cab would be roughly from the pier to Newark Penn?

3. If we decide to take the free shuttle and are already at the airport would we be quicker getting transportation from the airport into Manhattan? Any ideas of cost?

Thanks.

Lorraine.

1. Cab from the airport to Newark Penn Station-$25.00

2. About $45-60 depending on traffic

3. What free shuttle??? From the airport, cheapest EASIEST way is probably Airport Express/Coach USA into Manhattan. $15.00 each way, three drop points in NYC. Luggage goes UNDER the bus. You do not have to worry about shuttling luggage on and off trains, into taxis, up and down stairs and escalators. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

1. Cab from the airport to Newark Penn Station-$25.00

2. About $45-60 depending on traffic

3. What free shuttle??? From the airport, cheapest EASIEST way is probably Airport Express/Coach USA into Manhattan. $15.00 each way, three drop points in NYC. Luggage goes UNDER the bus. You do not have to worry about shuttling luggage on and off trains, into taxis, up and down stairs and escalators. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

The OP mentioned in an earlier post that she has booked a package at the Country Inns and Suites which includes a shuttle from the pier to either the hotel or EWR.

The OP mentioned in an earlier post that she has booked a package at the Country Inns and Suites which includes a shuttle from the pier to either the hotel or EWR.

Got it. Thanks

Then the airport express bus into Manhattan is still the easiest and pretty darn cheap in the scheme of things.

Hi,

Thanks.

Lorraine.

You can also take NJ transit which will put you on 34th and 7th from there you just walk a short 5 blocks to your hotel.

Archived