walk to Miami cruise terminal: am I nuts?

poppan

I saw the thread that you can't take a cab in Miami without a car seat. We don't want to schlep two car seats with us. (I have 2 y.o. twins.)

I'm planning to take the Super Shuttle from the airport to the hotel. But have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get from hotel to cruise terminal the next day.

Well I finally looked at the map and the POM looks pretty close to the hotel (Epic Hotel, downtown, it's next to the IC). According to google maps it is less than 2 miles. I'm thinking, I should just buy two umbrella strollers and we'll walk the 2 miles to the POM. Am I nuts? It'll be late November, I'm hoping not too hot and even if it is, I think I'll just have to suck it up because I can't think of another way to get there without car seats unless we ante up and rent a limo or something (from a company that provides car seats, no less).

Any other suggestions? WWYD?

P.S. We can send our luggage with my parents in a cab, so we just have to walk ourselves and our two toddlers there.

That's certainly something you wouldn't want to attempt with children, even if it WAS possible!

As port is not a park, it's a working shipyard....dangerous!

You could take the ship's shuttle---a bus--and wouldn't need the car seats.

Um, nuts would be too strong a word, but I do believe you may be a little misguided. :p:D

But seriously. Just to keep from bringing a car seat?

Like the others said, call the hotel. Find out what other options are available.

What about a rental car for the day with rented car seats? Then you can drop the kids off and the gparents, then have one adult return the rental back to the rental company and take the rental car shuttle back. I bet it would be cheaper than shuttles for everyone plus taxis.

Rent the car at the Miami airport, then you can skip all of the shuttles.

If you are talking about a hotel that is near the intercontinental the answer is yes you can walk to the Miami Cruise Ship Terminal. I have done it several times just to take a long walk with my wife. When you walk across the bridge there is a wide area to walk on. And when you cross the bridge you can walk the rest of the way on a sidewalk.

Some people who say adults can't do this have either not tried or are not familar with the area.

Now if your kids were ten years old I would say go ahead, but they are not.

Two items;

I would not do this with luggage but you said you would not have luggage.

The other issue is the kids. The question is do you really want to each carry your little ones all the way there. I am sure it can be done but that is the part that I would not recommend.

If this was me this is what I would do. I would call the hotel and see what they suggest. You can't be the first parents with kids staying there so it must come up often.

So, see what they can do for you. I bet they can help you with your situation.

And if they cannot do anything call Carey Limmousine. Ask how much a private car would be and if they have car seats for the kids.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Yes, the road is very busy, and I am not sure there are even sidewalks all of the way.

If you don't want to bring the car seats, and can't rent a car and seats, have you considered taking the bus?

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes/route.asp?route=243

It's obvious from your answer that you have not walked from say Bayside over to the Miami Cruise Ship Terminal.

Sidewalks? Yes

Nice area on the bridge to walk? Absolutely

For those who enjoy a nice walk? Yes it's a nice walk.

As I said, I wouldn't recommend it with little ones or with luggage but for those who don't mind a nice walk it's very safe. I've walked it several times. Safer than many places.

Edited by Keith1010

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions...

Keith -- I will have two umbrella strollers (the single-wide kind) -- one for each child -- was planning to have hubby will push one stroller and me push the other, and luggage goes in a cab with my parents. You're absolutely right, I would not want to carry them for 2 miles. Our hotel is right next to the IC (it's the new Kimpton hotel, called Epic Hotel). Glad to hear from someone that it's doable -- it looked doable from the satellite google map but always like to get some first hand info and not rely on an image I know nothing about.

Thanks to all for the suggestion to call the hotel and to Keith for the limo recommendation as well. Will do both. I like to have plans B & C. If it's walkable I would like to do that, although kids may enjoy riding the bus as well.

OK, I am curious. Most of you seem to think that taking the car seats is no big deal. I have not yet flown with my kids anywhere (we've only gone on driving vacations so far). We have the Britax Regents:

britax-regent-car-seat-color-4980717.jpg

They are, um, large. Awkward to carry. No way I could carry the car seat and still hold my toddler's hand. Multiply that by two... two Britax Regents, two toddlers, including one who does not do the holding hand thing very well in the first place. Plus diaper bag/carry on luggage, and getting the suitcases to the check-in point. I'm just not seeing how I could do this. So I'm curious how *you* do it. What am I missing?

OK, I am curious. Most of you seem to think that taking the car seats is no big deal. I have not yet flown with my kids anywhere (we've only gone on driving vacations so far). We have the Britax Regents:

They are, um, large. Awkward to carry. No way I could carry the car seat and still hold my toddler's hand. Multiply that by two... two Britax Regents, two toddlers, including one who does not do the holding hand thing very well in the first place. Plus diaper bag/carry on luggage, and getting the suitcases to the check-in point. I'm just not seeing how I could do this. So I'm curious how *you* do it. What am I missing?

Believe me I know how bulky those seats are since I always travel with them. I gate check them onto the plane along with the double stroller. I also use the car seats in taxis and at the ports.

If you dont bring the car seats then how will you transport the kids in ports? It is a pain but worth it

I plan on just taking shuttles to and from the ports and airports. I do not plan on lugging around a carseat for 2 1/2 weeks. I would rather plan carefully that I am taking transportation that will not need a carseat or has one available for us.

We will be taking shuttles :

From departing city hotel to LAX

LAX to Hotel (in disneyland)

Disneyland to Port

Port of MIA to MIA airport

I am pretty confident that it won't be a problem. (Although I haven't booked my shuttles yet, I've looked a little and I'm not too worried)

I don't know how old your children are, or if you are taking the car seats on the plane.

If you aren't using the car seats on the plane, and you are parking at the airport, you can have the person driving the car drop you off curbside at the airport and unload all the baggage. Check it in with the skycap (I know you cannot do this at all airports anymore). That way you have to deal only with children (and you can leave one of them in the car to come in with the driver) and the carryons. If you are doing off airport parking, you can do pretty much the same thing.

You can also unload everything at the curb, and get a baggage cart and load everything on it and check in at the counter if you prefer that option.

If you have one that doesn't hold hands well, consider a small umbrella stroller or a harness/leash. If you need to bring car seats on the plane, they can be piled on top of the stroller to get them to the gate. Using a backpack as a carryon will free up hands, and even a young child can carry toys/snacks in a small backpack.

Those are large carseats and I know they are very inconvenient to transport.

Thank you rugrats for the details -- I really needed someone to spell it out for me, because I just couldn't begin to fathom how this would work and how other people make it work. I have two 2-year-olds and was not planning on using car seats on the plane. I was going to get 2 umbrella strollers instead of bringing my double stroller.

Lorajo -- that is my basic plan as well -- planning on getting around entirely on shuttles and other modes of transport not requiring me to bring my car seats. That's why I thought of walking -- it looked close enough on the map that I shouldn't have to book a limo or shuttle. I think the bus will be my back up plan for that leg. I don't feel like paying $60 or more to go less than 2 miles.

MNmom -- wow more power to you, if we had a kow-tow emoticon I would have used it here! Re: the ports I was planning on walking and taking buses if we wanted to go farther. If I'm remembering right that is how we have done most ports in our past cruises. Maybe I'm being too ambitious, but the highlight of this cruise is the Panama Canal transit anyway, not any of the ports, so I was thinking it would work out OK (meaning if we don't get to see something b/c we can't walk there, I won't be too disappointed).

poppan,

I'm glad you have it all planned out. I had a cruise booked with 5 ports and changed it to an itinerary where I had been to before and knew I could walk with the kids to the beach. I've seen people drive on some island and sometimes the excursions send smaller vans if the tour isnt booked too much. I can't wait till my daughter is big enough to use a booster when traveling.

The transit sounds awesome.

I only did my first cruise this year, but did many vacations when both my sons were in car seats. Here's what we did:

1) Unload unbelievable amount of luggage from car to Park-and-Fly shuttle. One parent sits with kids on shuttle, one parent loads.

2) Get off shuttle, get two luggage carts, and pile them high with luggage including two car seats and one stroller. If luggage cart has a child seat, put child there, otherwise they walk alongside or ride in compact backpack (Ergo carrier, totally amazing, highly recommend this for travel)

3) Check whatever luggage we can except for car seat(s) needed for plane, and stroller.

4) Place car seat(s) into stroller, secure with a bungee or other strap, place diaper bag on top. Kids remain walking or in backpack.

5) When boarding the plane, gate-check the stroller as you board, and install car seat(s) on plane. When disembarking, pick up stroller at gate-check, re-load car seat(s), and away you go.

Once the kids were older and didn't need their seats on the plane, we would check one or both of them at check-in, meaning we only had to carry them from the shuttle into the airport, and after that they'd be waiting for us at the other end. Then we would install them into our car/van and be on our way.

Thanks for the latest replies. I love getting these details about how other people manage to get luggage, car seats, and children to the destination successfully. I don't think we will attempt it this time -- given that we are only calling a few beach ports, I am going to go with original plan for shuttles and other transport at the few points where we need it. But it's very useful information for future reference because I'm sure we will need to fly with the car seats at some point.

I'm not really picturing the two Britax Regents balancing on top of my Combi double umbrella stroller :eek: -- but I guess my kids are old enough that I can just check the seats in with the rest of the luggage. Love the bungee cord idea though!! OttawaTraveler -- I have a Beco carrier and another one that I can't even remember the name of -- but same idea as the Ergo, kids can go on my back. Haven't tried it recently, as they get older they are more and more ornery and have ideas about what they will and will not do!!

My children are 3 and 5 and I have no intentions of taking their car seats on our 10 day vacation. We have a shuttle service provided from the airport to the motel and then from the motel to the boat (check with your motel, I would bet that they have a shuttle service that you could probably use). We will be doing things on the islands that do not require the car seats either. We also have extremally nice and heavy carseats and would never consider taking them along.

I have a question for those of you who do take your car seats. What do you do with them/how do you carry them around when in port? Let's say you take a cab to the beach or something....do you then install them in the cab to get there, then take them out and carry them with you around at the beach (or wherever else) untill you are ready to leave? This sounds very difficult.

Too bad they don't make a car seat/stroller combo for older babies/kids like they do with infant carriers (or do they?). It would be so much easier if you could take the car seat out of the car and then snap it into some kind of stroller base that the child could then sit in.

Luckliy my kids are just about out of car seats (the youngest is still in a booster) but I often travel with my family and my sister has a toddler and a baby on the way so this could be an issue for her.

• 4 years later...