E visa vs regular visa for lndia

CountessP

Does anyone know if an E visa is an issue in conjunction with a cruise. I don't really have the time to send passport away for regular visa. I'm not sure is single entry rule is an issue when cruising when we have a rountrip airline ticket in/out in lndia. Appreciate any info.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Countess - You would be well advised to check this matter out very carefully with the nearest Indian Consulate. Here is a link for the e-Tourist Visa: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

It states that the e-visa may not be used for entry into India at sea ports; only the listed airports qualify. Perhaps if your cruise both begins and ends in India, it may work, although the limited "entry" may be an issue.

On our December, 2016 cruise from Dubai to Singapore, with a number of port stops in India, there were about 14 passengers on our ship (Regent Seven Seas Voyager) who had e-visas and were not allowed off of the ship in any of the Indian ports, despite fervent pleas from both the passengers and the ship's purser. The Indian customs & immigration authorities would not budge an inch from the stated regulations. (It seemed that the Indians learned bureaucracy very well from the time of the British rule, no??)

In any event, it was clear that one cannot take this matter for granted in any respect or think that logic will overcome rules.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Freddie.

You write: It states that the e-visa may not be used for entry into India at sea ports; only the listed airports qualify. Perhaps if your cruise both begins and ends in India, it may work, although the limited "entry" may be an issue.

I am entering India initially via Mumbai airport, and the cruise ship does both begin and end in Mumbai, This is why I assumed the evisa was a good option for us. But I have read the horror stories you describe and it does make me nervous. I contacted the embassy, via email. This is what I asked and what they wrote:

On 14/02/17 07:06 AM, countessp wrote:

We just got our evisa. We are arriving via Mumbai international airport. We will be cruising to several cities, then to Maldives and Sri Lanka, coming back to India via Mangalore. We are then flying to Delhi and then returning to the USA. I did put on the application that we would be on the Costa cruise ship. Is this visa good?

Response:

Thats okay, but your arrival should be through the designated e-visa airports.

Regards

E-Visa Team

It seems to me I'm good! I wrote back again to clarify. Let's hope they say yes again!

Have you contacted your cruise line? We are on a cruise in April originating in Mumbai and ending in Athens and our cruise documents clearly stated "eTourist Visa is NOT VALID for cruise travel".

How much time until you leave? We had our regular Indian visas back in 15 calendar days from when we sent them. Another couple on our cruise roll call got theirs back in 6 days. This is in the US and going through the official Indian Government contactor CKGS http://www.in.ckgs.us

I would not rely on the Indian government response. Ultimately it will be up to the cruise line whether they allow you to board the ship.

Good luck.

Joe

An Indian tourist visa is required for a cruise and note that Indian E-visas are NOT valid for entry via seaport. Failure to have the proper visa will result in being denied boarding.

Ut might be for the future, but not for now

We are planning on arriving at Delhi for about two weeks and then joining a cruise in Mumbai. Can an e-visa be used? We will not be returning to Mumbai on the ship.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for your prompt reply, Freddie.

You write: It states that the e-visa may not be used for entry into India at sea ports; only the listed airports qualify. Perhaps if your cruise both begins and ends in India, it may work, although the limited "entry" may be an issue.

I am entering India initially via Mumbai airport, and the cruise ship does both begin and end in Mumbai, This is why I assumed the evisa was a good option for us. But I have read the horror stories you describe and it does make me nervous. I contacted the embassy, via email. This is what I asked and what they wrote:

On 14/02/17 07:06 AM, countessp wrote:

We just got our evisa. We are arriving via Mumbai international airport. We will be cruising to several cities, then to Maldives and Sri Lanka, coming back to India via Mangalore. We are then flying to Delhi and then returning to the USA. I did put on the application that we would be on the Costa cruise ship. Is this visa good?

Response:

Regards

E-Visa Team

It seems to me I'm good! I wrote back again to clarify. Let's hope they say yes again!

It's OK if the only entry into India is Mumbai International Airport - however if you do have a re-entry to India with the cruise ship you might have a problem.

I was advised by the Indian Embassy to get a triple entry visa for my cruise with two entries into India in order to avoid any problems in case of itinerary changes..

Edited by hallasm
spelling correction

Check with your local Indian embassy. Take any paperwork you have received from authorities with you. Sometimes as rules change not everybody is up to date. I had very conflicting advice re taking currency to India, took printout from govt website, in the end did not need it. Indian authorities can be very bureaucratic, their country they can do this just be prepared.A very confronting country, land of contrasts I loved my time there, go with an open mind and enjoy.

Response:

Regards

E-Visa Team

Countess - I am not trying to parse words here; but it may be that the response from the "E-Visa Team" could be read differently than you are doing. They may be saying that any arrival into India must be "through the designated e-visa airports". If that is the case, then your return to India at the port of Mangalore after leaving India to visit the Maldives and Sri Lanka might not qualify.

Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do to clarify this question and assure yourself that you will be safe with the e-visa. How about trying to telephone the nearest Indian consulate and discuss your exact situation with someone. Of course, as has been posted above, that is no guarantee that either your cruise line or the local authorities at the port of Mangalore with accept the statements of the person with whom you spoke; but it is worth a shot, no?

I want to thank you all for your words of wisdom, taking the time to respond. I messed up. It did not occur to me until AFTER I got the e-visa that I was technically leaving India, and that the e-visa would be a problem.

I'm sending away for my tourist visa today. I only pray that I have enough time, which I am sure I do.

But what a tedious project. Much more complicated than e-visa. I just don't get it. It took me 4 hours of filling out online forms and gathering the documentation for 2 people.

It's exhausting! But thanks again to you all.

I want to thank you all for your words of wisdom, taking the time to respond. I messed up. It did not occur to me until AFTER I got the e-visa that I was technically leaving India, and that the e-visa would be a problem.

I'm sending away for my tourist visa today. I only pray that I have enough time, which I am sure I do.

But what a tedious project. Much more complicated than e-visa. I just don't get it. It took me 4 hours of filling out online forms and gathering the documentation for 2 people.

You are welcome - hope you make it.

The online forms takes time - when printed I went to the local Indian Embassy with printed/signed forms, the pictures and passport - I did pick up the visa and passports at the Embassy after two working days.

Edited by hallasm
spelling

I received my India visa for multi entry a week ago. I hand delivered to Washington DC CIBI office. As of January 2017 when I applied, India embassy would not accept any application, enquiry or breathing human being bearing needs for a visa. PERIOD! We applied and the visa company took the multi entry 10 year visa and paid the fee. We got back a 1 year multi-entry visa. Another person in our party did get 10 years. Oceania says that no one with an e-visa for India will be boarded because it is not an acceptable document for arrival by ship. It is only good at the 3 or 4 airports listed. This was what we experienced within the month. Our application was almost perfect (I left off a digit of the passport number on the copy and had to redo the whole application in the visa company office) and the process time from drop-off to pick-up was 15 days. Good luck. Hope you get the prized 10 year visa

I really do hope they get the new e-visas sorted sooner rather than later. It will be great to have the 5 sea ports added, and then hopefully it will be sufficient to use on cruises travelling in Indian waters ;). We have until the end of the year before our sailing - fingers crossed it's sorted by then.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Foreigners-can-enter-India-through-five-ports-on-e-visa/article16738695.ece

I really do hope they get the new e-visas sorted sooner rather than later. It will be great to have the 5 sea ports added, and then hopefully it will be sufficient to use on cruises travelling in Indian waters ;). We have until the end of the year before our sailing - fingers crossed it's sorted by then.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Foreigners-can-enter-India-through-five-ports-on-e-visa/article16738695.ece

Even if they add Seaport arrivals, the e-Tourist visa is valid only for "single entry". So if you are entering and exiting India more than once on a cruise it still might not be a valid option.

Joe

Even if they add Seaport arrivals, the e-Tourist visa is valid only for "single entry". So if you are entering and exiting India more than once on a cruise it still might not be a valid option.

Joe

We'll have to see as we'll still be in Indian waters between ports, same as we've done for other countries and this has not been a problem on the single entry. Who knows what will happen until the authorities start to implement the new changes?

We'll have to see as we'll still be in Indian waters between ports, same as we've done for other countries and this has not been a problem on the single entry. Who knows what will happen until the authorities start to implement the new changes?

Don't know the exact rules, but I was advised by the Indian Embassy to get a triple entry visa to India for a visit to two Indian Sea ports with no other countries between, for my up-coming cruise from Singapore to Dubai.

Don't know the exact rules, but I was advised by the Indian Embassy to get a triple entry visa to India for a visit to two Indian Sea ports with no other countries between, for my up-coming cruise from Singapore to Dubai.

Yes, until these new regulations start filtering through, it's better to edge on the side of caution. Apparently, according to the post I linked above, they have done it to increase tourism - and they're extending the timescale of when you can apply. We'll not be able to see what happens until they are implemented - fingers crossed it happens prior to our visit at Christmas. If not, we'll have to sort full visas :(. I've read multiple times on the boards that pax don't even appear to receive the same type of visa (1 year, 10 year etc.) as their spouse when they've both requested it at the same time :o.

A little like Vietnam when pax were told they'd need a Visa for multiple stops but then they extended the waiver programme for certain countries and nothing was needed (only the landing card). We were one of the fortunate ones not to require anything at all :).

Yes, until these new regulations start filtering through, it's better to edge on the side of caution. Apparently, according to the post I linked above, they have done it to increase tourism - and they're extending the timescale of when you can apply. We'll not be able to see what happens until they are implemented - fingers crossed it happens prior to our visit at Christmas. If not, we'll have to sort full visas :(. I've read multiple times on the boards that pax don't even appear to receive the same type of visa (1 year, 10 year etc.) as their spouse when they've both requested it at the same time :o.

I would put good money on the fact that the e-visa will not be valid for cruisers by this Christmas. I would be amazed if they are valid by NEXT Christmas....This is India we are talking about where no one does "fast" and bureaucracy is king! They did indeed learn from the masters and took it to a whole other level!

I would put good money on the fact that the e-visa will not be valid for cruisers by this Christmas. I would be amazed if they are valid by NEXT Christmas....This is India we are talking about where no one does "fast" and bureaucracy is king! They did indeed learn from the masters and took it to a whole other level!

I can but hope :D, but I won't be holding my breath ;p.

I would quit hoping and get a MULTI ENTRY Indian visa for as long a period of time as they will give it to you for!

Not having a number of entries is a good thing. If you were to have some problem -- you don't want to be out of time or entries. It does seem to be VERY arbitrary and the process very exacting and full of "circumstance". (Maybe I am a bit upset that I only got one year for my fee and others got 10 years).

Understand that if Oceania or the cruiseline does not think your visa is the one they want -- they will not board you and no amount of arguing will get you on the ship. There will not be anything you can do at that point. Get the "biggest" visa you can get. Get that visa from the cruiseline because they know what they must have to get the ship landed. The whole ship can be blocked if a soul on board does not have proper papers. The contract says you are responsible for correct documents. India is the hardest visa I have ever done (at least 9 done in person in Washington DC in the last 10 years) and there is absolutely no avenue to the visa without an authorized visa contractor (check their website!)/ Wishing you luck with this.

Greetings to all. Flying out today, with the proper visa. Took 15 days exactly. Very stressful since it came just this past Wednesday. Thanks again to all.

Congratulations on the visa arrival! Have a great trip!

Joe