Tipping Tour Guides

KarenMF

I did do a search, but none of the answers were definitive so I'm asking again.

I have booked a tour in Mykonos through Viator - is it expected to tip the tour guide and if so, how much?

Thank You!

I did do a search, but none of the answers were definitive so I'm asking again.

I have booked a tour in Mykonos through Viator - is it expected to tip the tour guide and if so, how much?

Thank You!

In Katakolon they ask for tip :rolleyes: !-2 euro pp is enough. In Santorini no one expected tip . I guess go by the situation .

We arranged private tours in Santorini, Rhodes and Athens. We tipped from 5-10 Euros pp.for the guide and a couple of Euros each for the drivers. They were exceptional!

Not sure how you would determine if a guide expects a tip unless they come right out and request one; we were certainly never asked.

I know some may chime in and say that Americans overtip, but we felt very comfortable recognizing their extraordinary service and I believe it is a very personal decision.

I know some may chime in and say that Americans overtip, but we felt very comfortable recognizing their extraordinary service and I believe it is a very personal decision.

May I assume you also think it is a personal decision whether or not to tip in the US? Or on board ship? If not, why is there a difference?

I prefer to abide by the norm or expectation of the place where I am, not my own internal rules...

(And by expectation, I mean the expectation of the majority of the local population, not the guide in front of me who senses he can make extra money because 'Americans overtip'.)

May I assume you also think it is a personal decision whether or not to tip in the US? Or on board ship? If not, why is there a difference?

I prefer to abide by the norm or expectation of the place where I am, not my own internal rules...

(And by expectation, I mean the expectation of the majority of the local population, not the guide in front of me who senses he can make extra money because 'Americans overtip'.)

You know what they say about assuming :D???

Yes, that when a European waiter/guide/taxi driver/etc hears an American accent they will assume they will get a big tip, when none was expected.

My, how quickly this thread turned into a challenge of my opinion, rather than providing the OP some guidance!

To be helpful in responding to the OP's question, you would recommend no tip?

And Cruisemom, what is your guidance for the OP?

We arranged private tours in Santorini, Rhodes and Athens. We tipped from 5-10 Euros pp.for the guide and a couple of Euros each for the drivers. They were exceptional!

Not sure how you would determine if a guide expects a tip unless they come right out and request one; we were certainly never asked.

Yes,they actually come and request one .

My, how quickly this thread turned into a challenge of my opinion, rather than providing the OP some guidance!

To answer the OP's question, it is not expected to tip your guide -- the prevailing philosophy in most European countries is that you have paid for your tour and guide, and the guide is already fairly compensated for their work.

If you want to tip because you feel you received something exceptional (service above and beyond), then a couple of euro per person provides a token of appreciation, maybe a bit more if it is a full day tour. There is definitely no set expectation of a percentage of the tour cost being given.

First, a distinction should be clear between a guide and a driver. A certified guide places a price on their expertise and nothing additional is expected or required, sometimes even refused. Though nothing is required for a driver other than to get you from point A to point B for the stated price, exceptional service sets off something in Americans where they feel the service was not truly appreciated unless they leave a substantial tip. Crazy. My friend even got mad at me when we were in Rome and I rounded up the bill from €46 to €50 at a restaurant. Do what you want but give consideration to the customs of the country.

My recommendation is do whatever you want.

If leaving a small tip makes you​happy, then do it.

If leaving a big tip makes you happy, then do it.

If you don't want to leave a tip, then don't.

Nobody would be expecting a tip*, so you won't get chased down the street if you don't, so do whatever makes YOU happy.

*Except if they hear an American accent, when they will have their fingers crossed as they know Americans over generously tip whatever the local custom. But if you don't, they won't shout at you.

• 1 month later...
Yes, that when a European waiter/guide/taxi driver/etc hears an American accent they will assume they will get a big tip, when none was expected.

Funny you say this. I have booked 3 private tours in Greece and it was very clear in the price or the tour. They stated the price does not include lunch or TIP FOR THE GUIDE AND DRIVER. This sounds very clear that a tip is expected. And even if not I will always tip who and when I want regardless of what others think.