Should I upgrade to Haven on Jade -- Opinions Please!

Regguy

Family of four. Currently, we are booked in one of the suites on deck 10 in the bow on Jade -- 10000. I really wanted this cabin, because I'm intrigued by the forward facing balcony and think it would be really cool. Prices have dropped to the point where for about $1100 we could change to the 2 bedroom family villa in the haven. There are some significant advantages to the family villa -- it's 2 bedrooms for one, and the Haven courtyard and amenities look pretty nice. The balcony situation, though, isn't as great. We're sailing out of Venice and I was really looking forward to having that full on view of the sail away, without having to go to one of the main decks and jostle with others. It looks as though the Haven, though, might have its own deck that faces forward that is just up some stairs? Can't tell.

Anyway, would you upgrade or not, and why?

The access to the Courtyard is the main reason. The second bedroom is not much larger than closet sized....one person will have to climb over the other to get out of bed when going to the rest room or to get out into the room.

While Venice could be an exception, most of the other typical ports for Naples, Florence or Rome are not scenic by any stretch. Pretty much industrial ports.

I have not been to Venice though, but it looks like the city officials are trying to change approaches by cruise ships to minimize damage to the city.

depending on the route, you could be on the wrong side of the ship to see anyway.

I would simply go up to the other decks for a good view, but still having the two bedrooms is nice...and your balcony might possibly be pointed in the right direction.

On the Escape the forward facing suites, have windows that face forward, and have balconies off the side of the ship, still.

How old are the kids? They will have to sleep on the pull out sofa in 10000 which is not that big. I'd say if you can swing it go for the 2br. You'll have a great shower overlooking the side of the ship, the bathroom is great, and basically an interior type room for the kids.

Hi -- thanks all for the advice. Either I miscalculated or the price has changed and now the difference is closer to $1500, which makes it a harder choice, I was all set to make the change. Now I just can't decide. The second room would be nice, and the courtyard looks awesome, but we already have suite amenities and $1500 is a lot of money for us to put toward next year's vacation. Uggh.

DEFNETLY upgrade! If it just be the 2 of you I would stay! You have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a living area, a private pool and steam rooms and a private sun deck! Just having breakfast in your REAL dining area with the kids or by the HAVEN pool is worth every cent! For leaving Venice you could be as well up on the top deck off the Haven and see it all! I would do a water taxi tour through the Canals in Venice anyhow!

DEFNETLY upgrade! If it just be the 2 of you I would stay! You have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a living area, a private pool and steam rooms and a private sun deck! Just having breakfast in your REAL dining area with the kids or by the HAVEN pool is worth every cent! For leaving Venice you could be as well up on the top deck off the Haven and see it all! I would do a water taxi tour through the Canals in Venice anyhow!

Don't think the Jade has a separate Haven restaurant, but I haven't been on her so I could be mistaken.

IMO, the forward balconies on these classes of ships are awesome. However, since you're traveling with 4, you'll have more space in the Haven 2 bdr.

The are no changes to the route the ship takes out of Venice yet that affect the Jade because she is just under the max length currently allowed still getting that awesome journey across the front of St Mark's Square. The main benefit of the Haven on the Jade coming out of Venice is, of course that huge private sun deck on the port side above the Haven courtyard. Most of the city is on the port side so you will have the benefit of having your own area to take it all in. You can also see across the stern of the ship from the rear end of that sun-deck, so you can easily see the islands and buildings on the starboard side as you go past them. Speak nicely to the Haven Butler and he will even bring you drinks up there.

The balcony in the 2-bed suite is small because of the space taken up by the big picture windows in the bath and shower, but unless you are expecting to have a sports team joining you, it will be more than adequate. A little tip - try and get a 2-bed suite on the starboard side it you can because then you will always have views to that side from your balcony and if you want to look at the port side, you can use the upper sun-deck as an extra huge balcony.

Check prices every single day and you may luck into a one day price drop on this suite. The suites are great, btw. The Haven is very small on this ship and very exclusive and the huge sundeck is almost always empty so you can get it to yourself a lot of the time. We often had the Haven hot tub to ourselves. It was a great experience. Breakfast and Lunch are in Cagney's for suite guests. Best restaurant onboard is Le Bistro. Teppanyaki is always popular but very small so definitely make reservations online if you want to do that one with your kids. Cagney's is also good.

Yes, Yes. Call immediately.

You don't understand how wonderful being in the Haven is. The Haven suites has a large private for the Haven upper deck and it will be even better for the sail away.

I've sailed the haven 2 bedroom. Like other poster mentioned, if you can get a room opposite of the haven sundeck that would be the best of both worlds. That said, $1500 is quite a bit. The itinerary is very port intensive. Not sure how much use you will get out of the courtyard. If your kids are little it's nice if they want to play in the pool because it's right outside your door. It's not a very big pool though.

If you want the privacy of your own bedroom and bathroom, the two bedroom will give you that. That balcony on your current suite is going to be much larger and can't be beat for Venice sail away.

Haven rooms and suites both eat breakfast in cagney's on the Jade so other than the actual haven use and separate bedroom/extra bath, no extra benefits. We absolutely loved it for Alaska on the Pearl. $1500 for two weeks on the Jade I would do. One week? I'd have to give that some thought. Have a great trip. We love the Jade.

You will be able to have Breakfast and Lunch at The Haven Restaurant Cagney's or Moderno. GO for it!

The Haven is so much more excuisite then on the bid ships! It feels like your Yacht build on a big ship! DO IT!

They already have a real suite and have access for VIP breakfast and lunch - that wouldn't change with the upgrade.

I don't get the fuss about Haven on Jewel class ships - if I was OP, I'd look to see if there was any availability in SC suites - exact same cabin setup probably for a lot cheaper.

You will be able to have Breakfast and Lunch at The Haven Restaurant Cagney's or Moderno. GO for it!

The Haven is so much more excuisite then on the bid ships! It feels like your Yacht build on a big ship! DO IT!

As a SE suite guest, you eat in Cagney's or Monderno with the Havens guests. You have a butler. You have the same concierge.

We much prefer the forward facing suites. We're booked in a forward facing balcony on the Dawn from Boston to Quebec later this year. We would not give up that room for a Haven's 2-br.

Edited by BirdTravels

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think all things being equal, we'd prefer the Haven, for the extra room and the courtyard, but in the end, we just cannot afford it -- or, put better, $1,500 is too much for the upgrade. We really want to try to do the Iceland cruise next summer, so better to save for that than to upgrade. We're pretty lucky to have a suite in the first place, so I think I'm going to just stick with what we have unless the difference changes.

The second bedroom is not much larger than closet sized....one person will have to climb over the other to get out of bed when going to the rest room or to get out into the room.

On the Jewel class ships, the 2nd bedroom isn't much smaller than an inside cabin. Also, you can use the sleeper couch and the pulldown bed to avoid climbing over each other.

• 4 months later...

I have the DOS on the Jade and are really questioning if this cabin is worth all I am paying for it. Not sure if it is worth the cost for the DOS on one of the away ships and the Haven on this class ship. Would you just downgrade to an SC 2 bedroom and still get the suite perks but no Haven access? Family of 4 on an Easter cruise so it may be crowded at the main pool area. Just looking for some opinions as the savings will be about $4k which could buy me another cruise. Opinions please?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think all things being equal, we'd prefer the Haven, for the extra room and the courtyard, but in the end, we just cannot afford it -- or, put better, $1,500 is too much for the upgrade. We really want to try to do the Iceland cruise next summer, so better to save for that than to upgrade. We're pretty lucky to have a suite in the first place, so I think I'm going to just stick with what we have unless the difference changes.

Not sure when your cruise is as this thread just got brought back to life. Is there an opportunity to move the Owner's Suite, which also has the huge forward facing balcony, but it also gives you access to the Haven.

You may already be back by now though :)

I have the DOS on the Jade and are really questioning if this cabin is worth all I am paying for it. Not sure if it is worth the cost for the DOS on one of the away ships and the Haven on this class ship. Would you just downgrade to an SC 2 bedroom and still get the suite perks but no Haven access? Family of 4 on an Easter cruise so it may be crowded at the main pool area. Just looking for some opinions as the savings will be about $4k which could buy me another cruise. Opinions please?

You have your own private floor, no one else is on 15. Only you can decide if that is worth the 4K for and access to the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums