First cruise on Cunard some questions from a HAL veteran

kangforpres

Hi instead of trying to gleam relevant info from the Cunard Website I'd rather just ask Cunard cruisers with real world experiences:

1. Laundry- Can you buy a package? Self Service? Or just fill a bag and ship it off when needed? we are in a Princess Grill Suite but info does not indicate anything about laundry being included.

2. Formal nights: Is a dark suit really ok for men or and is a formal gown expected for women or what Americans would call a really nice dress. (my wife is really having some concerns about this since we are aware Cunard is the last bastion of civilization for the formal night tradition on the high seas and we want not to be chastised for our non British ways)

3. Does Cunard ever offer "Upsells" closer to sailing date or is this not practiced like it is on HAL, and how often do "Upgrades" actually happen.

4. What flight time is safe to depart LHR on disembarkation day if we are planning on just taking the scheduled bus service from Portsmouth I'm guessing 15:00 would be ok. I know we can go earlier if we leave ship ASAP and catch first available "coach". Would anyone advise a car service option instead? They seem very expensive and if not necessary would rather just spend that money on something else.

Ok, that's all thanks for your efforts in enlightening me. We sail on Jan 3, 2016.

-Paul

Here are some answers:

1. Laundry- Can you buy a package? Self Service? Or just fill a bag and ship it off when needed? we are in a Princess Grill Suite but info does not indicate anything about laundry being included.

Full service laundry and dry cleaning is offered at prices that I find less then local establishments in New York. Press-only is also available. The PG deck also has a launderette near the forward end, complementary self service washers, dryers and ironing boards.

2. Formal nights: Is a dark suit really ok for men or and is a formal gown expected for women or what Americans would call a really nice dress. (my wife is really having some concerns about this since we are aware Cunard is the last bastion of civilization for the formal night tradition on the high seas and we want not to be chastised for our non British ways)

Correct call especially on transatlantics. For men a dark suit will do. For women, I've noticed about 1/3 long formal dresses and 2/3 short cocktail dresses. (FWIW in my observation long dresses seem to be more associated with age and economic status.) A "nice" daytime dress will be out of place. Some women get by with a simple black evening dress that is given different looks with accessories.

3. Does Cunard ever offer "Upsells" closer to sailing date or is this not practiced like it is on HAL, and how often do "Upgrades" actually happen.

Upsells don't seem to be as common on Cunard as on other lines. Nobody here has been able to figure out who the Upgrade Fairy chooses to visit.

4. What flight time is safe to depart LHR on disembarkation day if we are planning on just taking the scheduled bus service from Portsmouth I'm guessing 15:00 would be ok. I know we can go earlier if we leave ship ASAP and catch first available "coach". Would anyone advise a car service option instead? They seem very expensive and if not necessary would rather just spend that money on something else.

Can't advise you on that since I've not had to fly one way. The quickest way to leave the ship is to use self help disembarkation which means one must be capable to taking all of one's luggage down the gangway in one trip with no assistance whatsoever. To do this one has to appear at the Purser's Desk in person, no later than the day before, and request a Self Disembarkation Card. (This is not an option for anybody with a lot of luggage or mobility issues.) This would allow one to leave as soon as the ship clears UK port authorities.

Edited by BlueRiband

Just to mention that there have been recent posts from members that Cunard has changed the dry cleaning process and as a result some items cannot be dry cleaned on board but will be sent out to a dry cleaner at the next port stop (not much of a help on a one-way transatlantic). No doubt someone who is/was recently on board will post further information regarding the current status of the dry cleaning process on QM2.

Hope you have a grand time on your voyage. Regards, -Salacia

It will make it much easier searching for transport to LHR from where we are actually disembarking the ship! It looks like there is a mini-van non stop option to LHR for about 110 pounds for 2 people straight to the ship to LHR seems like a very reasonable price for a hassle free experience.

Thanks,

Paul

One of the things I prefer on a Cunard ship (compared to HAL) is that you are allowed to go directly to your cabin when boarding. I find it so much easier to be able to drop off hand-carried items immediately after boarding and be able to roam the ship unencumbered (instead of taking a seat in the crowded buffet with my carryon and purse in my lap for an hour).

We've used the dry cleaning service a couple of times. Thought they did an excellent job and that the price was reasonable.

I like that Cunard offers free laundry (no cost for machine or soap as mentioned by BlueRiband). The laundry room can be a harried place and fellow passengers don't always remember to move/claim their clothing in a timely manner, but it also can be a friendly place, where you meet fellow travelers and have a nice chat.

Have a wonderful voyage, kangforpre!

If you dance, you will love the Queens Room. Even if you don't dance, you will love the Queens Room. It is the very grand social center of the ship and hosts afternoon tea, evening dancing and lots of day time activities, including fencing if you are so inclined..

You will find more to do on Cunard than on HAL during the day and the Cunard pizza is light-years better than HAL pizza--I really like pizza, but I don't eat the crust. Of course, Princess Pizza rules the sea. :D The rest of the food is about the same on both lines. I really don't much like ship food, which I suppose is good thing as I always lose weight when we cruise.

The passengers on Cunard seem more lively and the atmosphere is more formal, although I truly love the décor on HAL. They have some fascinating art pieces.

There will most likely not be a Catholic Priest on board, if that matters to you.

Personally I like the buffet layout better on Cunard, but I miss the wonderful poached egg stations that they have on HAL.

Oh, one thing you will notice is that Cunard charges all of the gratuities for the whole voyage on the first day of your trip. I really like that because it lets me know exactly how much OBC I have left.

Enjoy your trip!

2 - better a tux than a dark suit. But if luggage allowance a prob don't worry.

4 - did this last year, never again. Saved some money, but Southampton has the smallest coach station I have ever seen. Put 10 passengers in and it is full! Not pleasant waiting an hour or so for a coach. Also massive queue for taxis, so worry will I make the coach. Far better pay a little more and book on the coach Cunard will lay on. Walk straight on at the terminal, relax, get to LHR happy. I was on a reposition cruise so don't know if Cunard lay on coaches for all cruises.

Regarding Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria, I'll disagree slightly with PunkiC- the passengers are MUCH more lively and there are REAL formal nights (HAL's are a joke in comparison) . The Queens Rooms are the most spectacular rooms afloat (I think the Koningsdam will have an unabashed copy). I find the buffets just fine, I don't get up early enough on vacation for poached eggs to be a factor.

Nightlife will definitely be a culture shock, the Yacht Club/Hemispheres are the equivalent of HAL's "disco", I have often seen them standing room only until 1AM. Even the QR, the orchestra plays til midnite (their music is no better than HAL, but Cunard has recently been putting dance music on during breaks).

I'm less impressed with QM2, it's no longer on my short list of potential cruises.

Yes, book the Cunard transfer. Last time out of Soton when I used National Express, the earliest departure I could get standby was 15.30.

It's fine on a formal night as well.

Very close to half the men on our QM2 T/A in 2011 wore dark suit -and I plan on repeating this November. because we will spend over a week in England pre-cruise, and will need suit there, I simply do not have space (or inclination) to pack a tux as well.

Oh, one thing I almost forgot. The salad dressings on Cunard are wonderful. Very light and tasty. I always try to lose weight on cruises so fabulous, light, salad dressings are a big deal for me.

Hi instead of trying to gleam relevant info from the Cunard Website I'd rather just ask Cunard cruisers with real

What flight time is safe to depart LHR on disembarkation day if we are planning on just taking the scheduled bus service from Portsmouth I'm guessing 15:00 would be ok. I know we can go earlier if we leave ship ASAP and catch first available "coach". Would anyone advise a car service option instead? They seem very expensive and if not necessary would rather just spend that money on something else.

Ok, that's all thanks for your efforts in enlightening me. We sail on Jan 3, 2016.

-Paul

Re buses etc. as you are travelling Princess The cost of a car service should not be too horrendous remember one cost for the pair of you instead of two tickects.

I hate busses so always take a car service the one I use cost us

Approx £80 from Southampton to Gatwick just email one to find out the cost if it is allowed and you want to know the Co name i'll post it.

Also why fly the same day "talk about culture shock"

We looked at different methods of transportation H'Row to Southampton and return, and found that a car service would be less expensive, easier and faster, than a bus, train or coach, so agree that the car may be the best way to go. We will find out one week from today if it works! I suspect we may be using the same company as Electra2008 - they gave us a quote very quickly by e mail. Booking was easy.

One of the things I prefer on a Cunard ship (compared to HAL) is that you are allowed to go directly to your cabin when boarding. I find it so much easier to be able to drop off hand-carried items immediately after boarding and be able to roam the ship unencumbered (instead of taking a seat in the crowded buffet with my carryon and purse in my lap for an hour).

Have a wonderful voyage, kangforpre!

You must not have sailed HAL recently, because they started the same procedure a couple of years ago, maybe even longer. Going directly to one's cabin in such an improvement.

We looked at different methods of transportation H'Row to Southampton and return, and found that a car service would be less expensive, easier and faster, than a bus, train or coach, so agree that the car may be the best way to go. We will find out one week from today if it works! I suspect we may be using the same company as Electra2008 - they gave us a quote very quickly by e mail. Booking was easy.

Would you please give us the name? I don't think it is against CC rules. We just are not allowed to give out names of TA's.

Also, if using a car service, is it safe to schedule transport for the day of sailing or is that too dangerous should something go wrong with the transportation? We just book on QM2 for May, 2016, from Southampton.

Re buses etc. as you are travelling Princess The cost of a car service should not be too horrendous remember one cost for the pair of you instead of two tickects.

I hate busses so always take a car service the one I use cost us

Approx £80 from Southampton to Gatwick just email one to find out the cost if it is allowed and you want to know the Co name i'll post it.

Also why fly the same day "talk about culture shock"

A company that I always use is Smiths For Airports, they are based in Portsmouth and their site http://www.smithsforairports.com and they will give you a quote and excellent service.

Would you please give us the name? I don't think it is against CC rules. We just are not allowed to give out names of TA's.

Also, if using a car service, is it safe to schedule transport for the day of sailing or is that too dangerous should something go wrong with the transportation? We just book on QM2 for May, 2016, from Southampton.

I suspect everyone is talking about the same car service, it seems to be the one most frequently mentioned.

It's Smiths for Airports. They appear to be very accommodating as regards pickup times. While I would advise researching and planning accordingly for travel to the port, I would not be as concerned about transport following arrival in the UK as I would be about the flights arriving on time. We have booked to arrive Saturday for a Sunday sailing (we always fly in for a cruise at least a day ahead) and I am still apprehensive about delays! Car from Heathrow should take two hours or less, depending on traffic. Gatwick is probably similar, but the car company will be able to give you that information.

Thank you! We will be spending a few days in London before boarding. So we should be o.k. to travel by car service on the day of sailing? Is there anything of particular interest in Southampton (besides the ship)?