Sreeens/Screen Doors on Balcony Rooms

Chunder Worthy

Two questions:

1. Are there screens or screen doors on the (presumably) sliding glass door of the balcony rooms on the Emerald? I like fresh air during the night.

2. If "no" to the above, would it be safe to crack the sliding door an inch or two, or is there some chance of human or flying intruders* possibly gaining access to our room?

*If you're a human AND you can fly -- YIKES! -- you won't be on MY cruise, will you...? :p

No screen doors. It's been discussed on CC that if you left the door open for a long period of time it would affect the air conditioning for your cabin and other cabins as well.

Edited by waltd

Two questions:

1. Are there screens or screen doors on the (presumably) sliding glass door of the balcony rooms on the Emerald? I like fresh air during the night.

2. If "no" to the above, would it be safe to crack the sliding door an inch or two, or is there some chance of human or flying intruders* possibly gaining access to our room?

*If you're a human AND you can fly -- YIKES! -- you won't be on MY cruise, will you...? :p

No screen doors.

Most times, if you have your balcony door open and open the cabin door, you'll create a major wind tunnel effect. Also, it is recommended that the balcony door not be left open at night because it can adversely affect the air conditioning of the cabins around you.

If you leave your Balcony Doors open at night when it is cool and leave your air conditioning on fairly neutral i.e. not chilled cold you should be fairly ok. When running chilling air conditioning in the day you need them closed for sure.

As far as intruders are concerned the possibility of someone trying to gain access to your cabin while you sleep is very small. Your valuables, cash, keys and passport are in a safe. However Balcony Dividers between cabins are usually locked by a triangular or other type of utility key, so it is feasible to go along all the balconies in turn. There will be a video on this I am pretty certain, for security and mob situations.

I would be happy to sleep with the Balcony doors open and ac turned to neutral, the biggest risk to me is arriving in port and insects boarding.

Regards John

Two questions:

No screen doors for the very reasons stated above, the cruise line does not want to air condition the Caribbean. On most ships, your A/C is a mixture of chilled fresh air supplied to an entire section of each deck's cabins, and recirculated air within your cabin, cooled by an individual cabin cooler, which is what your thermostat controls. On many ships, opening the balcony door will shut off the recirculation cooler, leaving you with just the 10-20% cooling that your cabin is designed for. It will also adversely affect neighboring cabins.

You cannot crack your balcony door because the ship moves, and the door would slam back and forth all night. Most doors do have a secondary latch in the full open position, but nothing intermediate. Balcony sliders (and many are not sliders, but swing doors) are heavy, and there are always a few cases of lacerations and broken fingers from passengers who do not pay attention to keeping the door latched closed.

Leaving your balcony door open affects all the other cabins in your section. Others will lose A/C as yours tries to cool off your cabin which leads to complaints that their A/C isn't working.

Cabins have a very efficient air system. I read once that the air in your cabin is replaced every seven minutes. Cabins are kept at a very slight (unnoticeable unless your balcony door is open) negative pressure for more effective air exchange. That's why if the door is open slightly, there's a whistling sound or when you also open your cabin door, there's a whoosh. Cabin doors then slam closed which can annoying to everyone.

Well, I'm beginning to understand that opening the door an inch or two at night may not be a good idea.

Beyond that, does anybody leave it open on a sea day when they might be going in or out of just want to, say, lay on the bed and get an ocean breeze while napping in the daytime for 20 min or so (if that isn't unreasonable). I don't want to upset the boat's air-conditioning apple cart, but I also want to be comfortable and breathe fresh air on my vacation...

Well, I'm beginning to understand that opening the door an inch or two at night may not be a good idea.

Beyond that, does anybody leave it open on a sea day when they might be going in or out of just want to, say, lay on the bed and get an ocean breeze while napping in the daytime for 20 min or so (if that isn't unreasonable). I don't want to upset the boat's air-conditioning apple cart, but I also want to be comfortable and breathe fresh air on my vacation...

I have found the lounger on the balcony to be an excellent location to enjoy a nap with the fresh sea air and the sound of the ship cutting through the waves. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy.

I wish people who leave doors open "to get some fresh sea air" would be more considerate to to those who enjoy air and would prefer it to work.

On some ships you'd swear there was no aircon.

Well, I'm certainly glad I asked so that I became aware it was a problem. Obviously I had no idea that opening the door could cause problems for everybody.

Otherwise I'm keeping it closed for another reason. Probably many will be concerned that should the ship tip over, my cabin could flood and spill over to others who wanted to go swimming on their own time.... Seriously though, I've never seen so much kvetching on any forum I've ever been registered with.

Well, I'm certainly glad I asked so that I became aware it was a problem. Obviously I had no idea that opening the door could cause problems for everybody.

Otherwise I'm keeping it closed for another reason. Probably many will be concerned that should the ship tip over, my cabin could flood and spill over to others who wanted to go swimming on their own time.... Seriously though, I've never seen so much kvetching on any forum I've ever been registered with.

If the water reaches your cabin that's a whole other can of worms.

ImageUploadedByForums1435615386.781586.jpg.d3eea913c993b50aeaa3420745c3c6c0.jpgThis is an old message but something similar is usually on every balcony door.

Yes, there's kvetching but so many of us have been affected by someone oblivious, rude or inconsiderate leaving their balcony door open. People do it. You see it all the time. But you'll also see many others come here on CC and complain about the lack of A/C and blame Princess when it's avoidable. Some go so far as withholding tips from their cabin steward. :(

[ATTACH]354067[/ATTACH]This is an old message but something similar is usually on every balcony door.

Yes, there's kvetching but so many of us have been affected by someone oblivious, rude or inconsiderate leaving their balcony door open. People do it. You see it all the time. But you'll also see many others come here on CC and complain about the lack of A/C and blame Princess when it's avoidable. Some go so far as withholding tips from their cabin steward. :(

I appreciate that. I certainly don't want to cause any problems but am glad (as I say) that I happen to have been informed here and am happy to comply.

I noticed however, the sign you posted suggested one keep their balcony doors closed to "maintain a comfortable climate in [my] stateroom." If this is such a widespread problem --- and many here obviously echo the same sentiments -- is there some reason Princess doesn't amend the sign to point out that it could affect (air conditioners in cabins of) other passengers?

Go outside to your balcony in the morning and you'll notice (no matter how high a deck you a are on) there is salt spray all over everything. Run you finger along the rail and the furniture and it'll be white.

We just don't want to have it get into our cabin. :D

LuLu

Go outside to your balcony in the morning and you'll notice (no matter how high a deck you a are on) there is salt spray all over everything. Run you finger along the rail and the furniture and it'll be white.

LuLu

Wow, now THERE's a really good reason not to sleep with the door open. Also, heck, what if I sleepwalk....? (YIKES!) Thanks Lulu!

LuLu

Oh, and I always thought that white stuff came from the ship sailing upside down at night....which of course is another reason not sleep with the door open at night.:D