Currently "quarantined" on the Escape

I would venture to guess the fee is just added automatically, I would think if you went to guest services an explained the situation they would take it right off

Take it right off? Haha, very rarely does guest services waive fees or refund charges 'quickly'. It's usually a long process involving many people and days of 'we'll get back to you'. At least that's my experience on the dozens of NCL cruises I have been on.

I have never had an issue with Customer Service adjusting my bill when there is a good reason. And yours is a good reason!

Here;s to your speedy recovery and an enjoyable remainder of your time on Escape:) We'll be on her June 4th.:D

So sorry to hear that OP -- what a bummer. As everyone else said, you should get those charges reversed when you get out. Be nice, but persistent if you need to be.

Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I've gone to the hospital for dehydration before, and was given an IV to quickly replenish fluids both times. Giving me gatorade to rehydrate didn't help very quickly because I was still vomiting and wasn't keeping liquids down. It isn't a unofficial quarantine - they definitely gave me paperwork stating that I was diagnosed with Acute Gastroenteritis and was to remain in my room. I use quotation marks because they don't seem to enforce the rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

So they called it "Acute Gastroenteritis" (Noro, of course, is the most common cause of gastroenteritis) and told you to stay in your room - what do you mean by saying they don't enforce the rule? Other than locking you in your room, how could they "enforce" it?

Sorry you had to go through it - makes me wonder if they wanted to avoid using the scary word: "noro".

I got the noro virus just over a year ago while on a cruise. If you truly got noro, you would not be ordering from room service, and you would be down and out for at least 2 days.

Hope you are feeling better!

I am sorry to hear you are sick. I agree with everyone they should remove the room service charges.

Hope your feeling better and today your trip has turned a corner and you will be able to end your cruise on a positive note.

I have had some bad food poisoning before and I think I had noro on a cruise, so does DH (who is a Dr). The ship was under cdc watch and had all these weird protocols like no self serve drinks, no washy washy all actual hand wash stations, nothing on tables not even salt and pepper, everything washed down with the sticky disinfectant. I was violently ill for 24 hours and very ill for a additional 48. Felt the aftermath for a week after we where off ship. I did loose weight on that cruise for sure.

First, let me offer you Get Well Wishes! I hope some of your cruise has been salvageable, and really sorry that you weren't able to enjoy your excursions on the islands!

I am not writing this response to discount what happened to you... I just want to share our family's story so that others will know that we had a more positive experience .

When we sailed the Escape in December, one of the young ladies accompanying our party became ill and had to visit the Infirmary onboard the ship. She was given an I.V., labwork, and observed for 4 hours, and then released. This visit resulted in a $1,300.00 bill. She had not purchased travelers insurance, and since she was out of the country; her medical insurance would not cover the cost. If I may ask, how long were you sick before you went to the infirmary? I.V. treatment isn't usually routinely administered unless a patient has been vomiting, and/or several episodes of diarrhea for more than 24 hours. The infirmary on this ship is a BEAUTIFUL, top of the line, first class mini Emergency Room/hospital establishment. It's not a small room with a crabby old nurse sitting there telling you to go back to class! LOL They really are fully trained doctors and nurses with your best interest at heart. And it sounds as if they were watching out for your wallet too, since that bag of IV fluids may have cost you upwards of an additional few hundred dollars! Unfortunately professional medical care is not cheap, even if all they do is take Vital Signs and hand you a Tylenol!

Unless multiple passengers had presented to the infirmary with similar symptoms, there would not be a reason to put every sick person on quarantine.

The reason for the woman who vomited on deck could have been caused by a variety reasons: Seasickness, Too much alcohol consumtion, brought a stomach bug onboard with her, etc... While we were onboard, a young adult lady vomited after a nervous episode after trying to do the ropes course; she had to have NCL employee go up and bring her back down. She was clearly shaken, and proceeded to start to cry, and than throw up everywhere! Several NCL employees dealt with this mess IMMEDIATELY. Some grabbed beach towels, others grabbed a hose, etc... It was not left to just sit there.

In agreement with several others here that said to ask for fee reversal for the room service charges. Shore excursions are always risky and often times they won't refund for illness, but you should certainly give it a try!

Again, I hope you have recovered and were able to enjoy the last couple days of your cruise.

If you purchased travel insurance you can send in a claim for the $200. If you didn't purchase, you might want to consider it the next time you cruise just in case. It would reimburse your shore excursion as well if NCL didn't.

Edited by tribbs1

I was on a cruise in the Caribbean years ago and visited the infirmary for an eye problem. I submitted the bill to my health insurance (not travel insurance) and they reimbursed me, so it is worth trying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was on NCL Gem when Noro was suspected.

Buffet went to being served at all stations, no salt/pepper shakers (packets only) no place mats. Twice daily announcements from Captain about hygiene. Constant cleaning by crew of public spaces. Every time went to a stairway someone was wiping down the banister.

Captain's announcement and Freestyle said any visit to the Doctor would not be charged and to visit if you had symptoms.

The ship has to report to the CDC the number of people with Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE) once the number of people reporting (crew and Pax) reach a certain percentage. All AGE has to be reported to the ships medical office. BA had a deficiency on its last inspection where a contractor didn't report AGE to the ship for 19 hours but ship still scored 95.

Take it right off? Haha, very rarely does guest services waive fees or refund charges 'quickly'. It's usually a long process involving many people and days of 'we'll get back to you'. At least that's my experience on the dozens of NCL cruises I have been on.

Actually they did take it off without me asking surprisingly. They also referenced this cruise critic thread so maybe that's why. It was quite creepy!

Truly sorry this happed to you and that you're feeling lots better now.

Hope you had a BALCONY cabin so you could at least walk outside for a bit.

Thank you! I did have a balcony and I think I would have gone nuts without it!

Actually they did take it off without me asking surprisingly. They also referenced this cruise critic thread so maybe that's why. It was quite creepy!

What do you mean that the referenced this thread? They must still be reading here then.

What do you mean that the referenced this thread? They must still be reading here then.

When guest services called up here, they mentioned concerns I brought up in this thread but never to them and said "I know you were wondering about shore excursions and room service..." I guess they only listen when something like noro is involved because we sure do a lot of complaining here ;)

When guest services called up here, they mentioned concerns I brought up in this thread but never to them and said "I know you were wondering about shore excursions and room service..." I guess they only listen when something like noro is involved because we sure do a lot of complaining here ;)

Thank you. That's good to know!

Thank you for coming back to update us. Hope you are feeling better. Great to know that they are reading these threads even while ship is out to sea. NCL did the right thing in refunding your money, did they refund the medical visit? Power of social media and especially Cruise Critic. They know people on here love to cruise and will voice there opinion whether good or bad.

Thank you for coming back to update us. Hope you are feeling better. Great to know that they are reading these threads even while ship is out to sea. NCL did the right thing in refunding your money, did they refund the medical visit? Power of social media and especially Cruise Critic. They know people on here love to cruise and will voice there opinion whether good or bad.

I'm not even sure if they charged me in the first place. When I originally walked in there and asked about the cost, they showed me a sheet that broke down all the pricing. Then when I went to the front desk to ask about the charges, no one was there. I just wanted to get back to my cabin so I left assuming it would show up on my statement, but it never ended up being charged.

That would make sense.

One time I posted a question about checking in and printing my eDocs. The very next day I got an e-mail from NCL telling me I can check in now.

If they do have staff members checking website, I think that's a great idea. That's probably the best way for them to get feedback from their customers so they can improve things.

Hi NCL if you're reading this!

I'm confused....this entire thread is about charges that were never even posted?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The medical ones were not, but there was confusion over what I was being charged in the first place. The nurse I asked said I'd have to check with the front desk in the infirmary. She also said she couldn't guarantee shorex would be refunded, but they ultimately were. It's not about the charges and whether or not they were posted, it was more so the confusion of it all.

I need to comment on the statement that NCL doesn't enforce quarantine.

A few years ago, we were on an NCL cruise that had noro break out 36 hours after embarkation. It turns out the idiot and his wife in the cabin next to us came on board sick (lied on their health forms) and promptly headed to the buffet.

The cabin steward realized they were sick, reported them and they were quarantined in their cabin. Or at least they were suppose to be, they ignored the quarantined and the a'hole was even at the Latitudes party bragging about how the norovirus thing was a big joke and he wasn't about to stay in his cabin.

We started to see security checking his cabin and no, neither one was there. They would be paged to report to medical.

Within 36 hours, full norovirus procedures were in place because of the number of passengers who were ill. Twenty -eight cabins on my deck alone had some one ill (keep in mind elevator buttons and other surfaces were being touched by the couple on our deck).

Security was constantly checking their cabin and on Monday at our first port of call (Saturday embarkation, Sunday sea day and Latitudes party), the two left the ship to go ashore (somehow avoided the "ding" out procedure.

Their names were being paged over the PA system. A ship's officer went ashore and according to eyewitness passenger reports, found them in the port shop area and told them they needed to immediately return to the ship and be quarantined or they would be put off the ship and turned over to the local health authorities as having a highly contagious illness.

They returned to the ship. There was a security guard posted outside the cabin. At some point they managed to leave the cabin again.

The next day, security was in the cabin packing their luggage and they were turned into the health authorities in the next port.

According to out cabin steward (my husband was one of the ill passengers and he fully cooperated with quarantine), we were told that a total of 350 passengers and 72 crew became ill because of one selfish passenger.

I admit this was an extreme case, but NCL will take steps for some one who is blatantly lies on the health form and defies any request to self quarantine.

I need to comment on the statement that NCL doesn't enforce quarantine.

A few years ago, we were on an NCL cruise that had noro break out 36 hours after embarkation. It turns out the idiot and his wife in the cabin next to us came on board sick (lied on their health forms) and promptly headed to the buffet.

The cabin steward realized they were sick, reported them and they were quarantined in their cabin. Or at least they were suppose to be, they ignored the quarantined and the a'hole was even at the Latitudes party bragging about how the norovirus thing was a big joke and he wasn't about to stay in his cabin.

We started to see security checking his cabin and no, neither one was there. They would be paged to report to medical.

Within 36 hours, full norovirus procedures were in place because of the number of passengers who were ill. Twenty -eight cabins on my deck alone had some one ill (keep in mind elevator buttons and other surfaces were being touched by the couple on our deck).

Security was constantly checking their cabin and on Monday at our first port of call (Saturday embarkation, Sunday sea day and Latitudes party), the two left the ship to go ashore (somehow avoided the "ding" out procedure.

Their names were being paged over the PA system. A ship's officer went ashore and according to eyewitness passenger reports, found them in the port shop area and told them they needed to immediately return to the ship and be quarantined or they would be put off the ship and turned over to the local health authorities as having a highly contagious illness.

They returned to the ship. There was a security guard posted outside the cabin. At some point they managed to leave the cabin again.

The next day, security was in the cabin packing their luggage and they were turned into the health authorities in the next port.

According to out cabin steward (my husband was one of the ill passengers and he fully cooperated with quarantine), we were told that a total of 350 passengers and 72 crew became ill because of one selfish passenger.

I admit this was an extreme case, but NCL will take steps for some one who is blatantly lies on the health form and defies any request to self quarantine.

Good to know this. People just don't realize how contagious they can be or they just don't care. OP did the right thing and stayed in her cabin.