Email re: boarding...Is this normal?

We are sailing on the Liberty 3/26. I just received an email from RCCL that our cruise on Sunday will not begin boarding until 12:00pm due to a US Coast Guard mandatory routine inspection. Is this an email everyone gets before their cruise or is this something different? I had planned to get to the port around 10:30 as this is our very first cruise. Would that now be a bad idea?

We are sailing on the Liberty 3/26. I just received an email from RCCL that our cruise on Sunday will not begin boarding until 12:00pm due to a US Coast Guard mandatory routine inspection. Is this an email everyone gets before their cruise or is this something different? I had planned to get to the port around 10:30 as this is our very first cruise. Would that now be a bad idea?

It's an email that people get when there is a mandatory coast guard inspection. It's not something people get on every cruise or that happens on every cruise. It's a requirement that happens under certain circumstances and/or on a regularly scheduled basis. An example of a circumstance is a cruise returning from a transatlantic.

You can still get to the port early if you like, but be prepared to wait a while before boarding.

It is a coast guard duty to spring these non-scheduled (to the cruise line anyway)inspections on all ships from time to time. As Bob said, you can arrive early if you don't mind waiting However, I suggest you don't arrive until around 11:30 AM. We were on a back to back cruise once when the second week was a coast guard inspection. Seems I remember boarding was only delayed about an hour.

We just had that on the 3/18 sailing on Freedom of the seas. It was not to bad. We started boarding by 11:15

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cautionary note, though: Freedom had a perfect score. It can be very different for different ships (Majesty of the Seas, for example). However, I would still show up early, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

As sea shepherd said, we thankfully had no delay, but we had reading books and Rubik's cubes ready in case of delay... [emoji846]

PS: I would recommend showing up around 10:30. All seating was filled by 10:50 at our terminal... At least we started boarding at 11:01, but if boarding is delayed, you may be out of luck finding a chair.