Live/Semi-Live review Explorer of the Seas May 20, 2016

Kinny ~ Thanks for all the posts and pics! We all appreciate your time. Our cruise is in July and getting anxious! Looks like you are having a great time! Enjoy the rest of your trip! [emoji568]

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. :D I probably need a lot of work writing reviews, but hopefully I will improve as I cruise and post more.

Just as I expected, Skagway is the limit on the satellite(s). I checked the computers at Royal Online and also various wifi spots and got the same issue. When trying to run a Speedtest, I get ping errors. As we are moving back south towards Tracy Arms Fjords, I can start uploading pics again. I guess I have some catching up to do. :D

Here is today's compass

27114213922_1d89d08106_b.jpgIMG_2343 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

27114229612_92d4180cd3_b.jpgIMG_2344 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

27210838845_234e92312c_b.jpgIMG_2345 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26605426683_e747fb4c5f_b.jpgIMG_2346 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

thank you so much!! how was skagway?? did you do a tour?? do you have the menu from last night/tonite? thanks again, really enjoying your info !!

Hello,

We had network outage while traveling through Endicott Arm. We did not go to Tracy's Arm Fjord. Still stunning and it gives me another reason to come take another Alaskan cruise. :D

I will post photos of menu and other pics later. We took the train tour (SK01) which is basically a 3.5 hour train ride to elevations up to 3000 ft above sea level. According to the GPS on my point and shoot camera, it's 3003 ft.

It was cloudy when we docked at Skagway (Skaguay to some)

27149448941_36100043b8_b.jpgIMG_2347 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

These rock paintings are all over. It's very interesting. :)

26611481714_e6d271bc9b_b.jpgIMG_2348 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26612750373_876f57398b_b.jpgIMG_2365 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26611416364_8b3760c627_b.jpgIMG_2367 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

I'm really enjoying your review, thanks for doing this. It's making me hungry. I notice one of these menus mentions "wines of the day". We usually enjoy wine with our dinner, but since they have done away with the wine packages we used to buy, we're not sure what to expect. Can you get any photos of wine lists or drink menus?

I think there is another wine list. I can try to locate the other one, but here is one posted at the bars.

27184306856_22c5a6d044_b.jpgIMG_2360 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Thanks so much for sharing all the photos, cruise compasses and menus. We are taking 4 family members next year, at this time, who have never cruised before. They will really enjoy your posts. :)

Thanks so much for sharing all the photos, cruise compasses and menus. We are taking 4 family members next year, at this time, who have never cruised before. They will really enjoy your posts. :)

Very glad someone else these pics. :D

Did they give a reason for why you didn't go to Tracy Arm Fjord? I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see that on this next sailing. After reading about Tracy Arm Fjord and the Sawyer Glaciers, it sounds like it is an absolutely breath-taking voyage up the fjord!

What kind of camera are you using? I believe you said it is a P&S camera, right? Pics look pretty good for a P&S. I've very excited for this cruise as it is the first time in a long time I am breaking out my "big" camera for a trip. I used to really be into photography until I tried to turn my hobby into a money-making venture. I had a portrait studio as a side business for awhile and got burned out on it. Haven't really been all the enthused about lugging around my big camera ever since. I have a Canon EOS 40D with several different lenses. With all the beautiful natural scenery in Alaska that I keep reading about, I am finally very excited again to use my good camera! I just hope that carrying around the extra weight is all worth it for some hopefully spectacular images.

How has the weather been so far? Temps? Has it been mostly overcast/cloudy or have you gotten any sunny days?

the temps are on all the compasses (first page top right)

Yes, but forecasts and actual observed weather are quite often two different animals. A forecast of 57° and mostly cloudy feels significantly different to me than observed weather of 62° and mostly sunny. Just interested in the actual weather Kinny is experiencing vs. what the CC is forecasting.

Did they give a reason for why you didn't go to Tracy Arm Fjord? I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see that on this next sailing. After reading about Tracy Arm Fjord and the Sawyer Glaciers, it sounds like it is an absolutely breath-taking voyage up the fjord!

What kind of camera are you using? I believe you said it is a P&S camera, right? Pics look pretty good for a P&S. I've very excited for this cruise as it is the first time in a long time I am breaking out my "big" camera for a trip. I used to really be into photography until I tried to turn my hobby into a money-making venture. I had a portrait studio as a side business for awhile and got burned out on it. Haven't really been all the enthused about lugging around my big camera ever since. I have a Canon EOS 40D with several different lenses. With all the beautiful natural scenery in Alaska that I keep reading about, I am finally very excited again to use my good camera! I just hope that carrying around the extra weight is all worth it for some hopefully spectacular images.

How has the weather been so far? Temps? Has it been mostly overcast/cloudy or have you gotten any sunny days?

Hello,

They didn't say, but on the TV they said it's a possibility due to abundance of ice in the water. I will post a couple pics of the Glacier in a little bit, and it is still breath taking, so no worries. I am actually like you that on previous cruises, I didn't feel like lugging around my DSLR, but I actually got a Canon 6D with a 24-104mm F4 lens for this trip (and other future trips). I used to have a 20D, but my Mom inherited that camera. She said she wanted to learn how to use one, and I told her the Alaskan cruises is a perfect opportunity to learn. :D I am also using an Olympus TG-2 P&S which is a fantastic camera. It is compact and can take some pics really quick at F2.0 The only drawback is, it doesn't shoot raw, and there is no focus adjustment on this puppy. Otherwise, it takes some really good pic for a P&S, not to mention, it's waterproof and drop proof. :D All the other pics you see is (especially the panoramic ones) are from my iPhone 6+.

The temp at the Fjords is in the high 40s and low 50s. It's not too bad as I was out taking pics with just a t-shirt. Well, a venti cappuccino helped to. LOL It was overcast and misty, but once we are out of the Fjords, it is sunny. I have actually stuck my hand in the water at the pool, and it is pretty warm. I'm not sure if it's heated, but it is suitable to swim in.

It looks wonderful! We have booked our very first cruise for January 2017 and it is on Explorer. We are so excited.

Is it true that there is a Kate Spade handbag shop on the ship??

Sorry for the delay. There is a Kate Spade handbag section at the Fashion District shop, so get your Seapass card ready. :D

Our guide Nicole answering all of our questions.

26611398584_4fe73bebb1_b.jpgIMG_2376 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

A steam engine. Our train was pulled by a diesel electric. Kinda like Explorer of the Seas.

26612737083_a98228ae44_b.jpgIMG_2373 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Some of the scenic views.

26612720483_fef975d0e5_b.jpgIMG_2382 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26611391484_5078ed7d68_b.jpgIMG_2380 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

27184241756_7335dfaf97_b.jpgIMG_2383 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26611381994_43c2e5f472_b.jpgIMG_2384 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

Yes, but forecasts and actual observed weather are quite often two different animals. A forecast of 57° and mostly cloudy feels significantly different to me than observed weather of 62° and mostly sunny. Just interested in the actual weather Kinny is experiencing vs. what the CC is forecasting.

My Weather dot com phone app is showing 55 and sunny for Skagway right this minute. Not knowing the ships relative position this may not be accurate. :)

Edited by LarryL

This is great, what a wealth of information!

I am signed up for the SK01 train ride next week, did you enjoy it? Is one side of the train better to sit on for good viewing? The photos looked good, it seems as though you saw a lot.

Thanks for the info. on second formal night day 5. That will help me choose my specialty restaurant night. :)

One more question -- with four ships in Juneau, was it overcrowded walking around and finding a place to eat?

I am enjoying your thread so much, I'm really getting excited for Friday! Thanks again.:)

Edited by travelgoddess1

We were at Endicott Arm at around 9AM. The captain turned the ship 360 degree so all the balcony folks has a good view of the glacier. I had to go hang out at Johnny Rockets. :D

26952361740_97a64cef7a_b.jpgIMG_2398 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26952314440_4c047cb1db_b.jpgIMG_2409 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

26621942823_97c133dec2_b.jpgIMG_2408 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr

This little buddy here kept me warm. :D

27227932565_e3bc14585d_b.jpgP5241002 by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr