Tricky advertising

shuguley

On many occasions, we have discussed on this forum how the Regent marketing department sometimes engages in what might be called "tricky" advertising. I hate to go so far as to say deceptive because this is a rather subjective classification exercise.

Just wondering if others had just received Regent's latest brochure highlighting the Seven Seas Explorer inaugural season? This is the brochure with the black front. On page 28 the brochure explains amenities Explorer will offer passengers in various suite classifications. Under the title "Upper Suite & Above" in large print with bullets two of the niceties listed are "Personalized in-Suite Full-Liquor Bar Set-Up" and "Guaranteed Reservation Each Night in Speciality Restaurant of Your Choice". Upper Suite and Above is defined in the heading as "Master Suite * Grand Suite * Explorer Suite * Seven Seas Suite (SS1 & SS2) * Penthouse Suite (A-C).

I wondered how in the heck they could offer full bar set-up and guaranteed specialty restaurant reservations for all these suites. I then noticed that in very small print just below the list there was the note "Regent, Master, Grand & Explorer Suites receive in-suite set up. Regent, Master & Grand Suites receive guaranteed dining reservations." Got to get out your magnifying glass to read the qualifier.

Come on marketing, don't try to fool us.

This sounds very much like Silversea advertising! Unfortunately we are used to advertising with small print. When we receive our Macy's discounts, there is a whole paragraph that requires a magnifying glass to read. The same goes for automobile advertising. Marketing people try to get your attention and these type of ads do. Then you read the very fine print and are not sure that the "deal" was so great to begin with.

I am waiting to see if these "new" rules pertain only to the Explorer (the only ship we are booked on in the next year) or if it will apply to existing ships. In terms of an in-suite set up, that is how it is now. PH and above can pre-order their alcohol, soda and "munchies" set-up right after they book the cruise while passengers in lower suites need to wait until they board the ship (but they ultimately can order the same things).

What is "new" to us is the guaranteed reservations in specialty restaurants. While this has been the case for as long as I can remember on Oceania, it is something quite different for Regent. If I disliked Compass Rose as much as I dislike the MDR on Oceania, it would be a big deal as we dine in specialty restaurants every night. However, we enjoy CR and have no issue dining there.

In terms of the Explorer, we are taking an "wait and see" stance. We are overt the top excited to be on this ship and have waited about 2 1/2 years already. We are not concerned about marketing as it is something we all put up with on a daily basis.

Jacquie, Still waiting on spelling. I hope you got my e-mail. Have to respectfully disagree on MDR v CR. I would reverse it. JMHO

Didn't receive your email. I'll try to send you one and see if it works.

Regarding the "spelling", I did respond...... I really like the way you spell my name and hope you don't change it:)

Regarding the MDR, we did not give it a good chance -- one bad meal and we bailed on it. Like yourselves, we had the option to dine in a specialty restaurant each night and that is what we did (except for having dinner in our suite one night).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you wripro. Anyone who has a cruise booked with Regent should be checking their website OFTEN! If I had not gone back to the website and looked at my upcoming cruise I wouldn't had know that they lowered the price for the 3rd time and were offering FREE Business Air in all categories. NO call from our TA about this. I really complained about this. People who might have booked early and made final payment can be taken

advantage of. BEWARE!

I agree with you wripro. Anyone who has a cruise booked with Regent should be checking their website OFTEN! If I had not gone back to the website and looked at my upcoming cruise I wouldn't had know that they lowered the price for the 3rd time and were offering FREE Business Air in all categories. NO call from our TA about this. I really complained about this. People who might have booked early and made final payment can be taken

advantage of. BEWARE!

It sounds as if your TA is not doing their job. A good TA regularly checks prices and automatically will call Regent to get a reduction of your fare (if it is not paid in full). Although I'm not sure if this is changing*, booking in advance and not making final payment is not a risk as you can get your fare lowered if it goes down.

*As was mentioned this past week, if you book onboard, Regent is now guaranteeing that you will either get a refund (if before final payment) or OBCs (if after final payment) if the fare goes down on your booked cruise. Not sure if this affects how the policy was previously.

Travelcat2… I went back to the website after Final payment date and discovered the New Lower fares and Free Business Class in all categories. Yes..we had made final payment.

I didn't care about the policies and REALLY complained to my TA and Regent about being

taken advantage of. My point being is that once you book a cruise and then make the

final payment BEWARE! Most people are clueless…Regent knows this and probably gets away with very few people responding the way I did.

Travelcat2… I went back to the website after Final payment date and discovered the New Lower fares and Free Business Class in all categories. Yes..we had made final payment.

I didn't care about the policies and REALLY complained to my TA and Regent about being

taken advantage of. My point being is that once you book a cruise and then make the

final payment BEWARE! Most people are clueless…Regent knows this and probably gets away with very few people responding the way I did.

Were you able to get the lower fare and free air after final payment??

I managed to get some OBC from them. I got a lot of BS about the FREE Business tickets.

Was told the Delta contracts this year are not as lucrative…and there are fare differentials on all the Delta routings. Don't know if this is true or not. All I will say is that anyone who made final payment on this cruise really got taken advantage of. Regent is trying very hard to fill up this cruise and probably hopes these passengers don't find out about the New Lower fares and Free Business Air….which originally was $999 each way in

Categories D-H…Now being offered for FREE. I'm sure someone bought those tickets!

My TA told me that Regent has taken a strong stance against reto'g bookings once they are within the penalty phase. They adjusted the non use air credit and gave it to me in

OBC. Would have liked to have had the money! I'll say it again..had I not gone back to the Regent website after I made final payment I would not have been aware of the New Lower fares and the offer of FREE Business Air in all categories.

Our upcoming cruise was substantially rerouted, and I think that's driving a fare decrease across the board. I happened to notice a change on Business Class Air, it dropped $800 pp/per leg. I contacted my TA who contacted Regent who stated, "Oh, sorry, that's only for new bookings." We told them that wasn't acceptable, so they gave us the lower fare. Then just this week, our TA sent us a letter saying the fare had been further reduced. I checked the website and didn't see see the reduction, but if our invoice has a smaller number on it, well, who am I to argue?

But I agree - Regent could be a bit more proactive on this, especially for repeat cruisers.

My TA told me that Regent has taken a strong stance against reto'g bookings once they are within the penalty phase. They adjusted the non use air credit and gave it to me in

OBC. Would have liked to have had the money! I'll say it again..had I not gone back to the Regent website after I made final payment I would not have been aware of the New Lower fares and the offer of FREE Business Air in all categories.

You shouldn't have had to go back to the website. Your TA should be keeping tabs on all that.